Elemental Equilibrium

I'm working on an EE Bow Witch build right now, The idea being that I use some ability that applies fire damage to a large number of targets in a single cast applying EE, and then use Ice Shot with Fork for my main damage output. As long as Ice shot deals all three types of damage it won't reset the debuff, so I just pick up one item that adds fire damage on hit and use Cold / Lightning bows. When I do get EE off on a target my damage seems to spike ridiculously high, but I'm using firestorm right now to apply it and the spell isn't ideal for reliably hitting all the targets I want.
"
Arkandus wrote:
I'm working on an EE Bow Witch build right now, The idea being that I use some ability that applies fire damage to a large number of targets in a single cast applying EE, and then use Ice Shot with Fork for my main damage output. As long as Ice shot deals all three types of damage it won't reset the debuff, so I just pick up one item that adds fire damage on hit and use Cold / Lightning bows. When I do get EE off on a target my damage seems to spike ridiculously high, but I'm using firestorm right now to apply it and the spell isn't ideal for reliably hitting all the targets I want.

I think you're mistaken on how EE works, pretty heavily. If you use a triple element attack, it'll add 25% to all resists. It will not "not reset the debuff" because it's 3 elements, the debuff is refreshed everytime you hit the target with an elemental attack regardless.

From what I understand, you cast Firestorm, this hits the mobs and gives them -50%lightning/cold and +25% fire, per bolt. Then you use a triple element ice shot, which fire portion does less dmg since firestorm applied the debuff but the other 2 portions do more. Do you then cast Firestorm again? Because if you don't and just Ice shot again, then you're doing less damage than if you didn't have EE at all.

And Firestorm is fairly random in its pattern and application, I'd use fire trap(the initial explosion is a hit, the burning ground isn't) or flame totem. Still no point in using tri element skills with EE though.
Last edited by PyrosEien on Feb 10, 2013, 8:18:08 PM
my question is: if i have flame totem with added lightning damage, how does EE behave? wich reduction is applied first? or does it just buff both mobs resist?
"
dardrink wrote:
my question is: if i have flame totem with added lightning damage, how does EE behave? wich reduction is applied first? or does it just buff both mobs resist?

If you have a flame totem with added lightning damage, the way I believe it works is this:

Your flame totem fires its stream. The first tick does normal damage of both fire and lightning. This tic applies elemental equilibrium which increases its resistance to fire and lightning by 25% and reduces its resistance to cold by 50%. Subsequent tics re-apply the buff, and do 25% less damage (both fire and lightning) than the initial tic.

Flame totem can be used with EE to have a good effect, imo. How it would be used is this: Drop flame totem (with no added lightning damage). This constantly applies the EE debuff which reduces resistance to cold and lightning. Thus, as long as your flame totem is spewing on your target, all your lightning and cold spells can be spammed, thus increasing their damage effectiveness because flame totem is constantly re-applying EE.
Hi,
I'm working on a build with incr. AOE where I alternate between lightning warp and ice nova. I believe, I can make the aoe of both spells nearly identical using conc. effect and incr. aoe support gems. The plan is to use molten shell, fire trap and maybe even firestorm totem as well to cause lots of ignites which synergies very well with EE in general. I would also get static blows and use elemental proliferation on most of the lightning and fire spells.
Unfortunately, I'm currently trying out 3 other builds before that, but I'm pretty sure I could make this work.
Has anybody tried alternating lightning warp and ice nova before? I only tried LE with spark and that worked okay, getting stunned during a LW was super annoying.
hey,
working on ranger with EE. idea is use ranged totem and ice shot along with fork/chain etc so that the totem freezes and hits as many targets as possible. so i lead with the totem to start the EE process then i use light arrow on the mobs hit by totem. my question is their flaws in this idea what happens if ice shot hits monster twice before i get off light arrow? and the gear i wear cant add any fire or cold damage or it will screw up EE correct?
So I'm doing something similar to the flame totem thing, except with a spork totem. My build equally buffs cold and lightning damage. I drop a spork totem, and that basically hits everything quickly with pure lightning. While that's going - I go nuts with cold spells. I believe I'm seeing a DPS increase but it's really hard to tell.

What I can't figure out is this - am I alternating between +25 and -50 with my hits (because I hit with cold, then lightning, then cold, then lightning - thus making each elements resistance switch back and forth) (ONE EE debuff that switches with each hit)

OR,

Are there TWO stacks of EE resulting in a net -25% to cold and lightning? spork adds +25 to lightning resist, ice spear applies -50% to lightning resist. Add the two debuffs together that results in a net -25%? (and similarly for cold).

Also, this all hinges upon the fact that EE is triggering off the spell totem in the first place... =\

Last 2posts:
If you use an Ice shot totem and a Lightning Arrow yes it'll work fine, however sometimes maybe your totem will hit twice before you hit LA, so it'll do slightly less dmg on that 2nd consecutive hit and so on. It does severely limit you in your gear choices however since have +lightning dmg on your gear will add it to your totem's ice shot, which will mean you'll never get negative lightning resists for your ligtning arrow. I wouldn't recommend EE on an attack based build to be honest but you can work around it with careful gear choices, it's just annoying when you find a really good upgrade but can't use it cause it has the wrong type of damage.

On the other post about spark totem, yes spark applies the debuff everytime a spark connects, there's no stacking and no set duration, any hit with elemental damage > switches the EE debuff on the mob to the element it got hit with. Your method should work for damage increase however as the case above, you will sometimes hit 2sparks in a row before a cold spell so the 2nd spark will do less damage, but that should be a minor issue since your ice spear will "always" do max dmg, unless again no spark has hit inbetween but that'd be unlucky.
QUESTION: Does EE only work on skill I use or also for my minions? Say: my minions have added fire damage and they hit and then I hit with ice. Would I get the 50% bonus and my minions the -25%penalty?
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Feb 18, 2013, 1:41:44 AM
"
Antigegner wrote:
QUESTION: Does EE only work on skill I use or also for my minions? Say: my minions have added fire damage and they hit and then I hit with ice. Would I get the 50% bonus and my minions the -25%penalty?

Your minions do not get EE. To quote Mark from earlier in the thread:

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Minions are completely separate and are doing their own attacks. They don't have your passive tree.
Totems/Traps/Mines don't have their own skills - they're linked to you and cast your spells, with your stats, just like you would, so they'll inflict EE if you have it.

I have a follow up question, though. Does the effect of EE, once it has been applied, only concern *my* next attack? Or does the monster get new resistances globally, so to speak? If it is global, does a minion attack reset the effect? Similarly, is the effect shared between different players?
Last edited by hiptanaka on Feb 18, 2013, 6:36:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info