Audio Suggestions.

First of all. Overall, I'm quite awed by the audio, especially the music. Nevertheless, in my opinion there's still room for improvement:

Currently there are only two audio options in game: "Music Volume" and "Sound Effects Volume".
- Add a "Loop Music" option. If unchecked, music will not always play.
- Add a "Shuffle music by act/general theme/all" option.

Both options are for those people that don't want the same music playing in a given area without a break.

- Item pickups are louder in volume than the drop itself. Maybe normalize those sounds (I think this could be due to the distance the object is in regard to the player), or add an option to normalize this on demand.
- Some of the audio cues sound a bit jarring. Especially if I pick an item up/put it in the trade window.
Notable offenders are: Rings/jewellery, gems, metal weapons and plate armour.
The thing is that they have too much, how shall I put it, "clang". Perhaps make the sound a bit rounder (i.e. take the edges off).

Apart from that, I'd really love to see some varied monster cries and shouts (if applicable).

Addendum: I currently play with headphones (AKG K141 Mark IIs).

edit. There's a notable break in the looping in the area music for either the Dark Forest or River Crossing (I don't quite remember which of the two it was).
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Mar 16, 2012, 7:01:41 PM
After playing for a few months, as far as audio is concerned, there are two things I'd like to suggest.

One, a noticeable, and identifiable sound for when potions are picked up, dropped, or moved around in the inventory. A sound that when in the midst of combat and a potion drops, I will know instantly that a potion has dropped.

Secondly, sounds corresponding to the energy shield. When it takes damages, breaks, is recharging, and is full.
Of course this will sound like Borderlands, and I'm not saying go for that exact effect, but the energy shield behaves the same way and I'd love to hear it break, or after a battle listen to it gently recharge.
Feel free to add me on Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xorjt
GGG_FanBoy_101
Hi Xorjt

Both of these are in production, they may take a while though. There are some technical issues that need to be ironed out before they will work.
The audio guy.
"
Andrew_GGG wrote:
Both of these are in production, they may take a while though. There are some technical issues that need to be ironed out before they will work.

Oh cool, thank you!
GGG_FanBoy_101
I don´t know if you are working on it, but I think that you need to put some voices on the characters like when they are being damaged. This way you wouldn t die so fast because you would have the perception that you were taking damage. Another thing but this hasn´t got nothing to do with sound, is the minions in the witch. The get stuck in areas. Then when that happens you have to summon another and another. Then you run around the map and you will see your 10 thousand minions stuck all over the map. Im Trying this game with a friend that loves to play games like this and we are loving it. But he cant be all day here with me and I was going to ask if you cant spare a key so he can try this at home. I would apreciate it. So keep the good work and here I go playing a little bit more to see if i can help you with anything else.
Similar to the the dimming when you get close to dieing, a heartbeat sound would be really cool as well that gets louder as you get close to dieing. All other sound slowly drowns out as if listening into a seashell. Obviously the effects would become more pronounced as your life gets lower.
IGN: YeahCrit

My Guides
Dual Claw Molten Strike Ranger HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1178252
Elmo Fire Templar HC: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/93967
"
YeahPete wrote:
Similar to the the dimming when you get close to dieing, a heartbeat sound would be really cool as well that gets louder as you get close to dieing. All other sound slowly drowns out as if listening into a seashell. Obviously the effects would become more pronounced as your life gets lower.

I really like that idea, and on top of that put general pain sounds if you're at low health. So if I'm at 30 health, including what you said you might hear your character panting a little, moaning from the pain, in general things like that.

However, there is a limit, since if the sounds played too often, they would sound like they are either freaking out, or getting some sick pleasure out of it.

I'm just excited to see the shield sounds are going to be implemented in the near future. Something I've been wanting since 0.9.2.
GGG_FanBoy_101
Came here to say exactly what the first post said. I love the sounds, but would really like to be able to adjust ambiance separately.
If you guys need some assistance in making more ambient spooky music, let me know. :)
There doesn't seem to be any sound effect (or graphic, for that matter) for walking in water, such as in the first few levels, or the cave levels where you sometimes dip in to water. It's slightly immersion breaking (apologies if it's already planned).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info