[3.1][HC] Scorching RF Inquisitor - cheap starter build - ZiggyD

"
suitonek wrote:
"
Vaal Lightning Trap absolutely works, and is a very common thing to do on the longer bosses. The effect is 20%. See: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock

Vaal Haste and Vaal Grace are cool for clear speed or clear safety, but wouldn't help much on bosses. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go for Grace - avoidance is incredible versus packs, especially if you're going to run big packsize and/or sextants.

I'll try vaal trap with inc duration instead of leap slam and rallying cry. Thanks for your advice ;)

Yeah vaal trap with inc duration + vaal grace or one of both / both with no duration are all viable options.
I think there's no real best setup for the build just personal preference.

EDIT:
@Suitonek, did you check out the Dan variation of the build? Since you perma use conc effect I think it's slightly better
ign: ropefly
Last edited by ropefly on Aug 20, 2017, 2:51:37 PM
"
ropefly wrote:

I appreciate the effort you made to summarize your experience

While I agree on the fact a pure RF is easier to gear and only requires a shitty 4 link
I don't agree it's far superior, it's just a different playstyle with each their perks

I don't claim to be some kind of authority on this build (or POE in general) - all I can provide is my personal experience based on a pretty serious 3 week run in the league.

"
ropefly wrote:

Let's compare a dual curse 4l RF 6L SR (Dan build, Decent gear) to Pohx his pure RF build with full bis gear lvl 96 + 6 expensive life jewels.

<see damage numbers above>

[/spoiler]

I don't mean to sound contrary, but comparing the Stage 8 damage numbers for Scorching Ray vs the continuous death aura of Righteous Fire is selling RF massively short. Against 99% of the content in the game you're never going to reach stage 8 because because everything has already died to 5-link RF and multiple damage curses!.

Damage absolutely isn't the issue with this build. I managed to corrupt a pretty sick +1 curse amulet which I run alongside the +1 curse nodes and witchfire's brew for triple curse. If I choose to gear for max DPS, Vulnerability, Flammability and Elemental Weakness just melts all non-boss content instantly, although I normally prefer to use enfeeble and keep it up on bosses to avoid being 1-shot. I can often clear the entirety of a T12 Ashen Woods or T14 Coves in a single rampage. Most importantly, as i'm shield charging into packs it's almost instant to tap Right Mouse button and cast an Orb of Storms, which applies all the curses (plus EE and EO) and then leap out again.

My issues with Scorching Ray are mostly with the practicality of use. If you stand still to attack from safety (at long range) then your Orb of Storms (which only casts ON your character) and WitchFire brew wont actually be cursing the enemy which will seriously impact your damage potential.

In terms of defenses/tankiness, EHP is absolutely king and even without a Kaoms, a pure life build would end up with slightly more than this build. Having it ALL in life also offers the advantage of being able to spam life flasks in a pinch. And if you really wanted to use Scorching Ray, you could add it to (say) a Berserker RF build, throw in a little mana regen and you'd also get the 40% MORE damage buff from Berserker and STILL be better off in terms of survivability.

"
ropefly wrote:

Both builds are crazy strong, just different playstyles.
I found a pure RF pretty dull as you literly only use 1 button (shield charge)
While this build is less braindead

If i'm tackling tough content and trying to play optimally, managing flask-charges, positioning and boss mechanics provide me with more than enough mental stimulation, thank you very much ;).

This build is (*typo ISN'T) weak or unplayable - it must be pretty decent given i've used it to clear almost all the content in the game and i'm pretty rubbish! However, by the endgame it doesn't feel as strong and cohesive as some builds I've played where all the pieces fit together perfectly.

Anyways thanks for taking the time to write and update the guide. I'll stay tuned to see everyone elses experiences!
ign: WesleyCau (Domination)
Last edited by WesleyCau on Aug 20, 2017, 11:41:47 PM
"
ropefly wrote:

EDIT:
@Suitonek, did you check out the Dan variation of the build? Since you perma use conc effect I think it's slightly better

I'm either stupid or very stupid cause i cant even google it xD i've found out some reddit saying its LL version. I've seen only Ahfack's version https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1840270 (am i allowed to paste another builds in here?) Anyway i dont have currency to go LL version for now and i'd like to finish this one as i enjoy it ;) Ofc i'll probably try out LL version later, much later...

"
WesleyCau wrote:

Anyways thanks for taking the time to write and update the guide. I'll stay tuned to see everyone elses experiences!

Well i dont feel experienced enough and cant participate in your discussion ;( Either way i think this build is strong enough and i like the thing to shield charge through trash with rf and then use my ray to burst the boss. i could say.. "i feel the synergy" or smth like that ... and i really like it. Maybe its not one of those "OVER 9K MILION dps, shaper in 0.0001S" but i enjoy it the way it is. Never played spectral throw/Blade flurry etc. builds because i just dont like to play "the most op build ever that oneshot everything" This build is strongest i've played so far to be honest. I've played only whispering ice, freezing pulse and lacerate as "serious" builds so far so yeah.. maybe i shouldnt talk too much.

Cheers guys. S.

Edit: Found some pastebin on previous page, or maybe 2 before. It seems to go highly rf dmg, and i like the way sr works with jsut rf support/trash skill. i just like to be able to stay in range when i need to and still do some dmg. Rf cant do that. What i've googled about Dan version before seems wrong then, but w/e i still like a vision of going ll later more than going rf heavy ;) Whichfire seems to be interesting, but with my build it will go random curse flammability/vulne right? id like to stay with flamma and use witchfire dmg boost xD yeah dreams..
Last edited by suitonek on Aug 20, 2017, 5:01:36 PM

Just did my first ever Uber Lab!! Not only that but it was a full 6 key (which became 8 keys) run!! Never managed to take any character this far. I got pretty lucky buying some of the gear and got some pretty lucky drops. Uber Izaro melted. My little protip for doing lab with this character is to have a "trap flask". Something like a hybrid or life flask with "removes burning" is awesome 'cause you tap it and become almost immune to trap damage (as long as there aren't fonts of increased damage). The inferno helmet and flasks make me able to take a lot of punishment as well. The bosses just melt once they are cursed and dotted up.

Is that enchant decent or should i roll over it and go for RF/SR dmg?

Edit:

That is odd this should work though

https://pastebin.com/TvsuAqU6

Thanks for the fast response
Last edited by LastxResort on Aug 20, 2017, 6:31:35 PM
"
However, by the endgame it doesn't feel as strong and cohesive as some builds i've played where all the pieces fit together perfectly.

I respect your feedback but if you mean cohesive and strong builds like broken af doomfletch then yeah it's a bad build.

In terms of RF damage output.

looking at the numbers, the RF/SC actually outputs more dmg with RF itself if we use orb of storms during general mapping or 10% less if we just shield charging.
We just have 4 less radius but we have a ray to make up for that

In terms of defences yeah we have 1.5k +- less EHP if equal geared but we have alchemist cluster to make up for some of the reduced EHP

So you basically say the build is weak - unplayable because we don't shield charge as fast and have 3-4 less radius on RF during general mapping and more dmg on 95% of the bosses? :/

I think you just kinda overreact and while you have some(berserk rf/sr? you have zero cast speed in tree / ascandancy + slightly less damage?) valid points both builds still are crazy good.

I still appreciate the feedback though But for now I'll leave this discussion be as it is.

EDIT: seems you meant not weak or unplayable my bad.

"
I'm either stupid or very stupid cause i cant even google it xD i've found out some reddit saying its LL version. I've seen only Ahfack's version https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1840270 (am i allowed to paste another builds in here?) Anyway i dont have currency to go LL version for now and i'd like to finish this one as i enjoy it ;) Ofc i'll probably try out LL version later, much later...

Should have said I added it to the endgame tree build section xP just figured as you always run conc that variation would be better in terms of clearspeed

"
LastxResort wrote:

Is that enchant decent or should i roll over it and go for RF/SR dmg?

https://pastebin.com/Xcd9KNgk

The pastebin did not load properly for me but using my own gear:
The dps increase in both rf and SR actually adds up quite a bunch.
on rf :
85k standard
93k with 40% inc damage
90k with flamm enchant

I would definitely keep the enchant if I was you and i'll add it to the list ^^
ign: ropefly
Last edited by ropefly on Aug 20, 2017, 6:53:59 PM
"
WesleyCau wrote:
After 92 levels i'm pretty close to being done with this guy so i'll share my gear, links and a few thoughts.

"
WesleyCau wrote:

Whilst you're (mostly) not wrong in your conclusions, your understanding of the builds goals are off.

Firstly, this build was advertised (by streamers) as a starting build, and it does this task perfectly. The goal of a starting build is to have a smooth leveling experience without any leveling uniques (important for hardcore), as well as a smooth experience mapping up to the higher tiers with minimal "day 1 available" tools. This build has enough "base damage" to do everything up to T16 comfortably, whilst only requiring you to have a common drop Phoenix shield - that alone is quite insane. Someone even did Shaper on day 2 with it (but with Vaal Lightning Trap and Decoy Totem). To say its "weak and unplayable" is silly. Oh, and as you said, it's also very good at uber lab (I'll add that it's very good at normal Atziri too).

Secondly, this is primarily a Scorching Ray build. Righteous Fire is included for its 40% "more" spell damage, it being able to clear is more of a side bonus thanks to the burn/damage type synergy. Of course, if you wanted a pure RF character, then this build is not the way to go at all, and you're doing it wrong if you are trying to maximize RF within the scope of this build. Having one skill that you use only for bosses/single target and one skill that you use for general trash clear is incredibly common - sure, you do melt 99% non-boss content with just RF, but then the bosses are still there, and you still need to kill them for your atlas progress, or lab enchants, or challenges, or whatever else. The build is a boss killer, just with an added bonus of RF clearing all low and mid tier content for your comfort.

However, you're not wrong in that it doesn't scale well past that point. You can't really scale the defense nor the offense further without significant core changes. One such change is going Low Life and Guardian - the benefit of it is another 30% 'more' damage, and a ton of auras giving you a ton of damage reduction (boost max resists to 81-82%, gain armor, block, etc), making regen significantly more impactful as a sustain mechanism. Getting Atziri's Acuity and swapping your skill used to something that can leech is another option (costs like 800c right now, thus justifying having a "temporary" build until you obtain such an amount of currency).
---
Last edited by obliviousBC on Mar 8, 2019, 9:54:19 AM
by the way. if you use +3 ring

you are guaranteed to get a +1 max fire ress, you only get +1 if you hit 21 purity with essence worm (you will have less EHP since you are using more mana)
I've checked that Dan version u posted in guide and i'd say "meh". Totaly dislike wasting 3 potions for potions. Dont really think it's worth to use pssives for more area aswell (my range with RF seems just fine even with conc. effect as i move fast enough with shieldcharge.) and those points doesnt even lead to something amazing.

I've checked your lvl 90 sc updated build and mine with 2 jewels results with better scorching ray dps (lvl92 for me) and a bit lower (lvl 93) and has extra life/regen it seems so i'll stick to it, tho it costs a lot more (200-300c for 2x good jewels atm at HSC) :)

Thanks for your help ;) S.

Last edited by suitonek on Aug 21, 2017, 12:29:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info