[3.1][HC] Scorching RF Inquisitor - cheap starter build - ZiggyD

That's my currently gear, and I know that I gotta change some (and I think that most...) parts of the gear, but I dunno which ones exactly.

PD: for some reason, when I bought the Rise of the Phoenix shield, I could go with RF with practically no problems (I bought it when I just reached lvl 65). Once I tried it and saw that the build was working minimally, I decided to take a rest and I went to see some videos, and after watching them, I went back to PoE and started to do some quests, but I couldn't use RF for some reason, and I don't know what's the problem, because I literally didn't absolutely nothing to my character. I guess that whatever happened with my character (Which has no sense, but... okay) can be fixed changing some parts of my gear. I'm new in this game and I'm trying to follow your guide, and a little bit of help would be amazing :'D
"
Thyden wrote:

That's my currently gear, and I know that I gotta change some (and I think that most...) parts of the gear, but I dunno which ones exactly.

PD: for some reason, when I bought the Rise of the Phoenix shield, I could go with RF with practically no problems (I bought it when I just reached lvl 65). Once I tried it and saw that the build was working minimally, I decided to take a rest and I went to see some videos, and after watching them, I went back to PoE and started to do some quests, but I couldn't use RF for some reason, and I don't know what's the problem, because I literally didn't absolutely nothing to my character. I guess that whatever happened with my character (Which has no sense, but... okay) can be fixed changing some parts of my gear. I'm new in this game and I'm trying to follow your guide, and a little bit of help would be amazing :'D

You are running way to many uniques lol.
Replace helmet boots and belt.
You also need a lot more life on gear :x
I'm amazed you got to 65 with that gear and as a new player lol that's crazy

I had really shitty gear but enough to run RF with no problems listed in the "my current gear"
All the gear I have or used is really low budget.
Look on the website poe.trade to buy items

Most people have problems with mana because they don't use mana regen jewelry

"
I dinged endgame yesterday, did some shopping and pushed to 75 today to get my Doryani's to work and I gotta say I'm almost at a point where I wanna abandon the build despite it potentially being quite fun.

Run a
preferable with less charges on basalt(24%) so you can use it twice.

This will mitigate a lot of phys damage.

I'm about to go into red maps after finishing my t8-9s.
Also use a decoy totem, ppl play this build as a pure RF and yolo every encounter and wonder why they die.
Tricky encounters like the cemetery boss = orb on top of decoy totem and scorch from a range
Swap into enfeeble if you don't feel comfortable

While this is a fairly straightforward build it does require tactical positioning for some encounters.

ign: ropefly
Last edited by ropefly on Aug 17, 2017, 4:22:47 PM
"
osiwm wrote:
"
Hirogen wrote:
I'm a little confused, when ever I put in my Decoy Totem, instead of the increased burning... it does not cast RF... it has the same lvl, do I miss something?

Well it works with a spelltotem... am I missing something?

Thanks for the chuckle :)

Spelltotem is a support that makes totems that cast that spell, decoy totem a stand alone skill that places a decoy totem that taunts enemies. You dont link anything to it ;)

Oh... so you just place the decoy for the boss to attack it and thats it... oh ok ;D
"
Also use a decoy totem, ppl play this build as a pure RF and yolo every encounter and wonder why they die.
Tricky encounters like the cemetery boss = orb on top of decoy totem and scorch from a range

I never played a pure RF build, but I hate using decoy totem. So, I optimized my gear to be able to fully utilize my entire mana to be added to my eHP. Currently level 89 with 6409 health and 2724 mana. Using an essence worm ring, pretty much all my mana is added to my health for a total of 9133 eHP (if my math is right).

I also swapped Stone golem for Chaos and running
and it brings me to 69% physical damage reduction. Using a Witchfire for the smoke cloud + damage bonuses too.

Since I'm using Witchfire, I made orb of storms linked to culling strike so I don't have to stand there forever to kill bosses. Been working out for me so far and I'm currently working on T14-T16s.

EDIT: Another gem to using instead of culling is blind support which I also find quite useful for certain encounters.
Last edited by wrastor on Aug 17, 2017, 5:56:55 PM
"
wrastor wrote:
"

I never played a pure RF build, but I hate using decoy totem. So, I optimized my gear to be able to fully utilize my entire mana to be added to my eHP. Currently level 89 with 6409 health and 2724 mana. Using an essence worm ring, pretty much all my mana is added to my health for a total of 9133 eHP (if my math is right).

I also swapped Stone golem for Chaos and running
and it brings me to 69% physical damage reduction. Using a Witchfire for the smoke cloud + damage bonuses too.

Since I'm using Witchfire, I made orb of storms linked to culling strike so I don't have to stand there forever to kill bosses. Been working out for me so far and I'm currently working on T14-T16s.

I totally forgot about a clear mind jewel if using a worm ring !
But as it only adds dps for SR you still get a nice mana regen bonus
I'd probably still use a 7%+ life + dmg jewel though (if I can sustain the mana degen)

Not sure If I would use a hrimnor's resolve, you loose like 100 life and 150 mana + regen if you have a semi decent helmet.
But for sc I guess it pretty nice i'll add it to the list, the immuun chill/freeze is nice bonus as well
Some pretty sweet overal gear you have there :D

Glad to see the build work on t14+ maps !
"
I'd probably still use a 7%+ life + dmg jewel though (if I can sustain the mana degen)

Not sure If I would use a hrimnor's resolve, you loose like 100 life and 150 mana + regen if you have a semi decent helmet.
But for sc I guess it pretty nice i'll add it to the list, the immuun chill/freeze is nice bonus as well

Well, I figured the main dps source is Scorching Ray, so I don't mind using Clear Mind. As for Hrimnor's, it's mostly for the effect. I'm looking for a good life+mana with resists helm currently. 7% life jewels with DoT or fire damage are so expensive, most of my jewels are just fire+dot. I had to spec into mana/mana regen nodes on the skill tree to fully sustain RF atm.
"
wrastor wrote:
"

But for sc I guess it pretty nice I'll add it to the list, the immune chill/freeze is nice bonus as well

Well, I figured the main dps source is Scorching Ray, so I don't mind using Clear Mind. As for Hrimnor's, it's mostly for the effect. I'm looking for a good life+mana with resists helm currently. 7% life jewels with DoT or fire damage are so expensive, most of my jewels are just fire+dot. I had to spec into mana/mana regen nodes on the skill tree to fully sustain RF atm.

I feel you, life + dot damage is like the only jewel that's reasonable priced :/
Prices on HC are even worse I think

I guess with essence worm grabbing mana nodes isn't that bad as it gives EHP anyways :D

Edit: Do you feel you can skip a mana flask when running essence worm? T14+ maps that is
I guess loosing your whole mana pool with the ring doesn't happen a lot/never?
(it happens for me sometimes like in breaches, 1k unreserved mana)
Last edited by ropefly on Aug 17, 2017, 6:30:16 PM
I recently got Doryani's Catalyst Vaal Sceptre, I didn't see on the thread what gem should I use for the weapon?

I already have a SR 5 link and RF 4 link
"
RoronoaZoro74 wrote:
I recently got Doryani's Catalyst Vaal Sceptre, I didn't see on the thread what gem should I use for the weapon?

I already have a SR 5 link and RF 4 link

It doesn't matter we don't use the gem socketed in the weapon (y)
"
Edit: Do you feel you can skip a mana flask when running essence worm? T14+ maps that is
I guess loosing your whole mana pool with the ring doesn't happen a lot/never?
(it happens for me sometimes like in breaches, 1k unreserved mana)

The only issue I had with mana was when I'm sitting in chaos DoT ground effects or poisons. During breaches in T14+, a lot of them seem to die fast enough before my mana gets chunked. I usually pop all my defensive flasks and burn them down asap. The smoke cloud from witchfire helps a ton I feel like.

EDIT: Other instances where my mana gets chunked are on Shaper Guardians. Minotaur and Hydra (adds) do a number on my mana. I'm still trying to figure out how to handle them without dying. I guess portaling back for flask refresh is a viable strat.
Last edited by wrastor on Aug 17, 2017, 8:00:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info