Xbox servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Act 10 Kitava fight is absolutely stupid

Kitava fight is bullet hell.
"
andreicde wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
I did the fight today, and honestly its really not that difficult, seems to me people are just overexaggerating things on an unknown fight

1. hes much, much easier than merc malachai, even if you dont know the fight. far less physical/cold damage and far less stray stuff that can hit you for a lot of hit points. also, there is virtually no chance of you taking two consecutive hits in a row, unlike malachai.

2. his only huge one-shot ability is the second phase fire nova that takes up most of the arena, and that is telegraphed PLUS it takes like a second for fire ground to do damage. once you realize there are 'safe zones' just like in atziri fight, that ability is kinda countered.

his adds actually hit harder than he does in a lot of cases (kinda like chimera)
but theres a lot of them so on-kill procs and flask charges get filled up quick
yes, for adds, you need some defenses and some acceptable deeps to not get overwhelmed. you cant full glass cannon this fight I dont think, nor can you fight comfortably with subpar dps (4 link should be fine for most skills though)

going in blind, I portaled out just once, after I got hit by the fire nova the first time and didnt realize where to go/didnt know the telegraph sign

3k hp/700 mana MoM/cap resists. enfeeble, AA, fortify on whirling blades, basalt were all my defenses. also had acro/phase acro, not sure how much it helped.

Lol are you drunk? fight was way harder than merc malachai and a lot less room to maneuver around too.
if I was drunk, isnt even it more embarrassing for people who have troubles that a drunk person is having little to no trouble with kitava seeing it for the first time?

merciless malachai I usually never would face him before hitting 80 and its still a sketchy fight after all these years on a lot of builds in early 80s. I did kitava at like 69 or 70, which is almost exactly its level.

malachais arena is smaller and theres way more shit flying around that can hit you even if you play very well mechanically. this especially is evident in a core map where if your dps is weak and you cant kill him fast, malachai's blood throw in second phase is extremely potent in damage and can stray one-shot you easily with some map mods.

as opposed to kitava whose most hard hitting abilities are clearly telegraphed and dont have directions you need to predict/guess

the nova, the big claw slam, the eye are the big hitters that are all telegraphed

the fight is a design failure and i dont even mean all the stuff and areas zones themself.
I dont have any FPS drops any thing like that and the fight runs fine without any trouble.

So why its a failure?

very simple:
for someone who doesnt know the fight its impossible with all those effects waht is really dangerous.
Noone would complain about "oh i have to get out of this burning ground thingy or i die" but some of those shadowish thingys are too hard to see when there is mroe than 1 ability going off.

Malachain is way easier even though he might even give you more stuff to maneuver around. All of his skills are red and its easy to keep track off.

getting 2shotted by things you are rdy to dodge and still die becasue its too hard to see,is cleary a design failure and obviously not a small one.

ps: the fight in act 7 aganist that bear thing in dread thicket is very bad as well too much "grey" on "black" . Even though this fight isnt too troubleing with the dmg it does and the boss hp,its still a bad design.

making things look "cool" and fitting for the theme/area is nice,but sacrificing too much off the visibility is horrible and not worth it.
All you archive with that is getting ppl mad about it and might even make themn quit the game,if they are new to it.
GGG just never learns ...
rip HC
Did it first time at 67 on my cyclone 2Her. Entirely self found with a lucky Kondo's pride drop to bring me up to 28k DPS. Pretty much tanked most of the effects, using a ruby flask for his flame breath. Was nice for something to feel scary for once, doesn't need changing.
"
kalbright wrote:

Except, now in 3.0, you are required to kill act 10 boss to access maps.

Are you though? I found that the map device you use to get to Maligaro in Act 7 works with regular maps too. To be fair, that was in Standard though.
Last edited by Xfing on Aug 7, 2017, 1:50:42 PM
This talk reminds me of when Malachai was first unveiled.

"One shots."

"90% of your time spent avoiding shit rather than doing damage."

"AoE everywhere."

"Getting cornered by the AoE and getting killed."

If your DPS isn't sky high, then the fight always comes down to 15 minutes of carefully avoiding shit and doing damage while you can.

Which is why I've given up on trying to win GGG boss fights legit. They build them for portal spam, so just finish off your level then go zerg rush until they're dead.
"We're pilgrims in an unholy land."
"
Nenjin wrote:

If your DPS isn't sky high, then the fight always comes down to 15 minutes of carefully avoiding shit and doing damage while you can.

as opposed to ? standing in one spot just facetanking the boss for 10 minutes ? whats even the point of an epic boss fight if you end up fight him just like any other boss ?

shit even d3 had belial as a similar boss and its one of the bosses in their design that most liked
"
grepman wrote:
"
Nenjin wrote:

as opposed to ? standing in one spot just facetanking the boss for 10 minutes ? whats even the point of an epic boss fight if you end up fight him just like any other boss ?

shit even d3 had belial as a similar boss and its one of the bosses in their design that most liked

There's nothing wrong with needing to move during a boss fight. What is wrong is the absurd HP totals where your window to do DPS, due to all the shit on the screen, means the fight takes the average player 20 minutes and they get splattered the first time they make a mistake.

That's not fun. There's a balance between moving to stay alive and getting to do your DPS. GGG top level boss fights have always felt like shit on that front, unless you're the elite 1% with broken DPS. Which is who these kinds of fights have always been aimed at. First there was Piety and she was nasty. Then Dominus was added (and Piety nerfed.) Then Malachai (Dominus nerfed.) Now Kitava, with Malachai nerfed.

Eventually it just becomes easier to say "Ok, I could sweat this fight and "do it right" and spend 10 minutes painfully making sure I don't get hit and doing shit damage all throughout.....or I could just sacrifice my XP, zerg rush the fuck out of it, and finish this god awful fight so I never have to do it again."

Which is how I know I like my boss fights. *sarcasm*

It's not like Dark Souls where when you die it's your fault and you just meticulously learn what the right way to play it, learn your timing marks and all that, feel good when you've done it right. No, PoE boss fights are learning all the attacks, what you have to do right, and then doing it right for 20 minutes straight because "PoE needs a big, epic, lengthy boss fight to end the act that is harder than the next 8 levels of map bosses that come after."
"We're pilgrims in an unholy land."
Last edited by Nenjin on Aug 7, 2017, 4:05:03 PM
"
randi wrote:
This is an arpg you can outlevel content. To me leveling feels way to fast and easy. I want to hit walls sometimes. Kitava is ofcourse a bit overtuned but be glad so you can stay a little bit longer in the new act. Im sure they will turn the fight to easymode a few weeks into the league sadly.

Yeah, acts. That's why I play PoE. To be stuck in fucking acts grinding levels to progress rofl.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info