Act 10 Kitava fight is absolutely stupid

"
Xavathos wrote:
"
TheLiberation wrote:
Ah, here we go, the classic "didn't read but git gud".

In case you haven't noticed, most complaints here are not because of his raw damage (which is actually surprisingly bearable for the most part, Innocence in Act 5 is relatively far more brutal for instance, but his skills are actually well-telegraphed), but because the way the fight is implemented is poor and punishes you even if you try to think and see how he works.

Some of his skills are almost invisible (the most common complaint I've seen everywhere on the forum, which means people KNOW they need to dodge the skills...), his fire breath covers 95% of the battle arena which is near-impossible to dodge even with mobile builds and a fast reaction time, and his minions are absurdly overtuned, with no way to escape them or be tactical with such a small arena.

And seriously, I don't know in what alternative dimension you have to live in not to notice the fight is at least a +50% difficulty spike compared to anything before, and far harder than at least the first 5-6 tiers of maps bosses.

Well, first of all, hi. I'm not new to this thread or the forums, I have actually read everything and my opinion is still the same.

I never denied the difficulty spike, but +50% on a walk in the park is still only a jog at most. It's really not hard to me and I'm not even good at the game. You're welcome to dislike my opinion, because yours obviously differs from me, but it would be better if you respected mine, like I do yours. Yeah?

I like Kitava, because unlike ANY of the other content the game offers, Kitava gives you a taste of what end-game bossing feels like. Something I'm guessing you haven't ever done yet, or you'd probably see the value in the (harsh) lessons taught by the fight.

PoE doesn't hold your hand, it doesn't protect you from harm, it doesn't pamper you and give you second chances. It pushes you right on the edge and forces you to adapt or fall. That's the game. Everyone experiences that when they play their first character. A brick wall with no way across, around or through. You failed. Start over.

The game isn't unfair though. Everything is more than doable, with the right amount of time, currency, experience and dare I say, skill involved, you can do it all. And therein lies the problem...

Do I say "git gud" literally? No, of course not, but the message remains the same and you just don't want to hear it because it's true. That's a classic.

Your attitude from third paragraph onwards should explain to you why I react to you like this.

If you also actually read my reply, you'd know I also said that Kitava is far harder than any boss on at least the several first tiers of maps. Never had the time to go past tier 6 for now in any playthrough (some people have, you know, a life), but even T6 bosses are hilariously easy compared to Kitava (or the bad joke that Merciless Malachai was previously), which is awful balance and design.

As for the rest, you're clearly missing the point completely and you're totally out of touch with what the difficulty feels like for 90% of players. Nothing about your "message" is true, you just present the classic "git gud" attitude of ignoring an obvious problem just because you can get around it by spending dozens of hours overleveling or grinding enough currency, which means you have no idea what good balance or good design is.

And last point: no, this fight does not reward skill in the current state, at all. The main issue is that most damage is unavoidable. Something you'd know if you actually read the posts.

[EDIT: Stopped replying, won't feed an illiterate troll.]
Last edited by TheLiberation on Nov 11, 2017, 6:46:52 PM
I just want to let GGG know that there is another player who stops to play PoE now because of Kitava.

I play PoE since years and I was always a huge fan. But this really destroys the whole game for me. To create a boss so powerful that you have to farm like forever ....that you MUST over level him like shit before you even can think about fighting him...only to end up in the "end game", having maps absolutely useless because your level is way higher already... it is absolutely ridiculous.

This is my...idk..like 5th or 6th melee char I lose on Kitava and I don't have the mood and time anymore to level another one...

After all this time ...there is still no patch..no fix... I mean...you could at least nerf the fire breath a bit and way more important: Nerf these fckn crazy stupid adds.
Serious guys IT IS INSANE. You stand there with molten strike, life gain on hit and all these mobs and you think "I should be safe with 3k life and molten strike LGoH" and BAM!! Instant death!

Instantly lost all the hours and everything I spent on the next HC char...

I'm fed up with this.

Bye GGG, Bye PoE.
"
Cyderic wrote:
... IT IS INSANE. You stand there with molten strike, life gain on hit and all these mobs and you think "I should be safe with 3k life and molten strike LGoH" and BAM!! Instant death!

3k life is really not that much for ACT 10 in HC, surely not enough to safely face tank Kitava.
Before 3.0 it was a common advice to stack around 300 life per ACT to be in the safe zone at the end of the story... 300x12 = 3600, you would be in shortage of life even for pre 3.0.

My advice in 3.0 is to consider more or less 400 per ACT... for a total of around 4000 at the end of ACT 10.
You can surely beat Kitava with a lot less than that... but if your plan is to stay in front of him, hit hard and facetank all his attacks you need that much.

If you really lost 5 or 6 char during that fight you should have learnt this.

Last edited by FrancescoV on Nov 5, 2017, 6:10:56 AM
"
3k life is really not that much for ACT 10 in HC, surely not enough to safely face tank Kitava.
Before 3.0 it was a common advice to stack around 300 life per ACT to be in the safe zone at the end of the story... 300x12 = 3600, you would be in shortage of life even for pre 3.0.

My advice in 3.0 is to consider more or less 400 per ACT... for a total of around 4000 at the end of ACT 10.
You can surely beat Kitava with a lot less than that... but if your plan is to stay in front of him, hit hard and facetank all his attacks you need that much.

If you really lost 5 or 6 char during that fight you should have learnt this.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it seems I don't had enough life but tbh I didn't know how to get even more life. With this char I really focused on life nodes first but at some point I had to took at least some damage nodes also.
And I had 6 (I think) endu charges up with him...

I think my armour was quite good also. My belt alone gave me more than 100 life.

I find it unfair to be forced to trade even more...it feels like you have to trade with other players to really get a kind of "cutting edge" armour for this level in order to be able to fave Kitava as melee.
"
TheLiberation wrote:
Your attitude from third paragraph onwards should explain to you why I react to you like this.

If you also actually read my reply, you'd know I also said that Kitava is far harder than any boss on at least the several first tiers of maps. Never had the time to go past tier 6 for now in any playthrough (some people have, you know, a life), but even T6 bosses are hilariously easy compared to Kitava (or the bad joke that Merciless Malachai was previously), which is awful balance and design.

As for the rest, you're clearly missing the point completely and you're totally out of touch with what the difficulty feels like for 90% of players. Nothing about your "message" is true, you just present the classic "git gud" attitude of ignoring an obvious problem just because you can get around it by spending dozens of hours overleveling or grinding enough currency, which means you have no idea what good balance or good design is.

And last point: no, this fight does not reward skill in the current state, at all. The main issue is that most damage is unavoidable. Something you'd know if you actually read the posts.

You remain with your eyes closed, blindly blaming the game for your mistakes and me along with it for pointing it out to you. Good luck with your boss kills.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
"
Cyderic wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Yes it seems I don't had enough life but tbh I didn't know how to get even more life. With this char I really focused on life nodes first but at some point I had to took at least some damage nodes also.
And I had 6 (I think) endu charges up with him...

I think my armour was quite good also. My belt alone gave me more than 100 life.

I find it unfair to be forced to trade even more...it feels like you have to trade with other players to really get a kind of "cutting edge" armour for this level in order to be able to fave Kitava as melee.

I can understand your frustation, but don't give up. Fact is I play HC, melee and SSF, yet I have dealt with Kitava with multiple chars without deaths. Wait till you are at least level 70, grind blood acquedtucts or whatever other area you like and try to get as much life on gear as you can.

Fun fight, instantly ripped the moment I moved after entering portal after pot refresh, invisible ground explosion? Capped res and 4,5k hp. What the fuck is the point?
Pants of Textile
One thing I found odd in this fight, is how defenses other then resists, are basically worthless.
Fought him one with a decent armor/energy hybrid setup, basically get one shot by damn near anything (about 3.2k health).

Again with 20k armor, still basically get one shot by most everything. At the very least, armor, no matter how much, is completely worthless. As supposedly he does a mixture of physical and fire damage.
Maybe if you have a ton of energy shield or evasion/dodge, but even then I am not convinced.
Short of just have a lot of health, defenses don't seem to do jack shit.
after doing him in hc a couple of times in these short events, hes even less scary than before. the heart adds hit harder than he does to most of my builds. and most of my builds nowadays get acro+phase acro

theres a good video on YT describing all of his attacks. avoid his nukes (such as x blast) watch his wide fire pool attack during last phase, make sure you get the right pantheon powers (solaris and abberath) and its a fairly mechanical fight. get your enfeeble/basalt and any totem for aggro (although this can play against you when kitava targets totem instead of you)

you still want a good health pool for when you fuck up, but Ill stick to my initial assessment that he can be outplayed much easier than, say, malachai
Must agree with others that the fight is not balanced good. Its a lot harder compared to old malachai fight on merciless, both in mechanics (a lot more things on screen at the same time, attacks that take almost 90% of area, very spiky dmg, and very broken minion phase).

The first thing needs adressing is the minion phase, the hp of minions and dmg needs to be lowered.

As a fight that you need to do (unlike old malachai) it needs to be tuned down a lot, to be in line with other act bosses and first few tiers of map bosses, or make the boss fight optional so you can skip him and go to maps.
Last edited by Ragnar119 on Nov 27, 2017, 4:07:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info