On the definition of botting.

I don’t know if this would go into General or somewhere so let’s start here.

Say I was going to setup a daemon on one of my networks that was a custom real time “indexer” (The trade API is pretty simple). Could I program it to send me a message(via whatever comms channel oob) and copy paste the appropriate trade request to my windows clipboard upon evaluation and analysis of said downloaded data?

Technically At this point I would still only be using the trade API, and have to type in ENTER, CTRL-V, ENTER to send a trade request, It would just be faster than poe.trade.

Now to take that to the next level, Say I am out of the office(home office), and my server pops up a notification on my phone that a favorable trade is available. And I want to respond with a message that I will take the trade in XX minutes via a simple android app or website. Could said program communicate with a custom HID interface? This is a grey area I know, but all it does is combine the aforementioned trade notifications with a custom Remote KVM solution, I am _still_ the one controlling the HIDs directly.

I assume the line is crossed when our software directly interacts with the client software, or is used for something more complex like levelling a pc.

On a side note, I know all of the above would be considered horribly unfair to many, If you think so, please speak up, but I am wondering if it is even allowed. The ToS is pretty vague.

Thanks for your time,
James
Last bumped on Jun 21, 2017, 6:42:51 PM
Things like this amoung others are why I believe there should be a market.

People will put their tinfoil hats and say, oh the prices on cheap items will go down to basicly nothing and prices on expensive items will only go up.

I say nonsense! The existent of a proper marketplace where you can put sellout orders and buyout orders will not do anything like this at all.

Currency flipping already exists to extreme levels. The thing is, currency flipping in always in the hands of a very small percentage.

A market would only do 2 things. It would allow more people to do this, thus introducing more competition to the market (not that it would actually lower the prices or deal with bots) and it would allow some people that don't even practice flipping to ocasionally get the itemn they want at a lower price.

Of course, this would be very inconvinient to the small percentage of large scale market flippers, so they always speak about how it would ruin the market and because many of them are known to play the game well people will listen to their words like it's gospel and gather support against the things that would make the game better.

Actually adding a marketplace would do another thing.

It would make trading convinient to everyone, in a game where trading is a major part of it.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."
I assume Elhazzared you mean an in-game market like most older mmos? Not real money, something along the likes of EQ2 circa 2005? Perhaps WoW, some old MUDs?

And yes, accessibility does affect prices, that is basic economics. However, What I think you are getting at is someone with years of development/IT/economics experience should not have a inherent advantage in PoE trading. Because PoE is such a loot centered game that gives a game-play advantage as well.

One could say the same for experience and proficiency in basic maths in constructing a "build" not based on the random loot drops, but normalizing on what market data is available and extrapolating. (essentially a controlled pseudo-random model)

Thanks,
James

sounds like hes is talking like a guild wars 2 style market
I dont see any any key!
I don't understand why you would go to all that trouble. The stuff in this game is valueless.
Yes, a trading post in GW2 parlance.

I would think that items would have to be rarer considering the game is F2P and the associated population that that comes with. Look at The launch of Diablo 3 and remove the real money aspect of it. Especially since the "meta-game" is now copying builds and rushing as fast as possible on ladders instead of tweaking models to reach a limit.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I don't understand why you would go to all that trouble. The stuff in this game is valueless.

So going to the movies is valueless? If I enjoy reducing resource management games to models, is that valueless? How does one "value" enjoyment/entertainment? GGG could shut the servers down tomorrow and I would be irritated, but would move on to something else. PoE as a game just hits the perfect complexity vs time model for me.

*As for trouble, It's a week or so of effort, I already have the resources, ergo the request for responses on how unfair it would be.

{*edited for content}

Last edited by LucidLem on Jun 20, 2017, 2:55:00 PM
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

the RMT crowd disagrees lol

If the D3 real money AH taut us anything its that people do indeed assign value in game pixels

the max price one could list items at was 499$ I think and the best items regularly sold for that amount
I dont see any any key!
Last edited by k1rage on Jun 20, 2017, 3:09:54 PM
That's why I specified "this game".
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
That's why I specified "this game".

yeah but people pay real money for stuff in this game as well

its just not within the rules
I dont see any any key!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type