Spelling mistakes and typos

"
DemiDemon wrote:
Is Path of Exile an American game now? As well as lots of American grammar we now have a skill gem called "Generosity". It doesn't sit well when 'armour' is spelled correctly.

I wouldn't say "correctly", since words like Armor (Armour), Color (Colour) were spelled *without* the U before the French held England for a while back in the... 1290's? A lot of U's were pushed into words to make them sound more French. I kid you not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences#-our.2C_-or

Here's a page describing the differences.

There's no real correct or incorrect way to spell it when it comes to -or / -our, but going historically, -or was first, and -our was a change made by the Normans.
IGN: Bravo_Thirsty
There's a conjugation error in the Ethereal Knives description:

"Fires an arc of knives in front of the caster which deal physical damage."

An arc deals physical damage. The subject is arc, not knives, so deal should be changed to deals.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
Last edited by Tempada on Oct 2, 2014, 3:54:25 PM
Thanks for the reports, guys!

"
Tempada wrote:
There's a conjugation error in the Ethereal Knives description:

"Fires an arc of knives in front of the caster which deal physical damage."

An arc deals physical damage. The subject is arc, not knives, so deal should be changed to deals.

No, it is the knives dealing the damage, not the arc. The grammar of the main sentence leaves the subject of the subordinate clause ambiguous - it could be either - but the conjugation of "deal" tells you it is the knives.
Code warrior
"
Rhys wrote:
The grammar of the main sentence leaves the subject of the subordinate clause ambiguous - it could be either

My problem is that it seems incorrect or at least awkward to use the object of a preposition as the subject of a relative clause without involving any commas. The EK description treats the relative clause as if it's essential (no commas necessary), but shouldn't it be a nonessential (commas necessary) clause since we already know which knives take action? The knives of the arc or the knives of EK deal damage.

The EK description is like the following sentence:

She notices a trail of bread crumbs ahead of the guide which smell like ginger.

My brain trips over the end of that sentence and has to reorient itself. Is the sentence grammatically incorrect? I think so. It's certainly efficient, and I appreciate that, but my brain would not have a hiccup if the sentence was structured like this:

She notices a trail of bread crumbs, which smell like ginger, ahead of the guide.
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
"
Tempada wrote:
"
Rhys wrote:
The grammar of the main sentence leaves the subject of the subordinate clause ambiguous - it could be either

My problem is that it seems incorrect or at least awkward to use the object of a preposition as the subject of a relative clause without involving any commas. The EK description treats the relative clause as if it's essential (no commas necessary), but shouldn't it be a nonessential (commas necessary) clause since we already know which knives take action? The knives of the arc or the knives of EK deal damage.

The EK description is like the following sentence:

She notices a trail of bread crumbs ahead of the guide which smell like ginger.

My brain trips over the end of that sentence and has to reorient itself. Is the sentence grammatically incorrect? I think so. It's certainly efficient, and I appreciate that, but my brain would not have a hiccup if the sentence was structured like this:

She notices a trail of bread crumbs, which smell like ginger, ahead of the guide.

That would be fine if you are writing a story, but It sounds wrong as a description.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
That would be fine if you are writing a story, but It sounds wrong as a description.

Yeah, I'm not saying that's the best path here, but the current description also sounds wrong! It's bothering me less, but I'm legitimately curious about the grammar now.
When Haku is speaking, the voice acting refers to "Tukohama" but the written word is "Tukomaha".
Two mistakes on the new micro transactions

The razor axe and crypt sword have scepter miss spelled as sceptre
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
That is the same spelling used in-game though. :)
Huh...well this is a bit embarrassing, sceptre is the UK English spelling and scepter the US spelling, being from the UK i've always used the US version.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info