Lightning Golem Crescendo ♫ All Content / HC Focused / Not Casual-Friendly

Hey i just wanted to say thanks for the build guide im enjoying the new golemancer, lightning golems really shine at single target even with the map clear setup (GMP/pierce) much more enjoyable over flame golems i feel. Im doing a magic find version (boots gloves belt) and its going sweet especially now i trust/see the golems clean up 99.9% when i run past mobs (well open maps at least lol) quite fast map clear, tanky, very well rounded build!
Bandits? Kill all?
"
MartynZero wrote:
Hey i just wanted to say thanks for the build guide im enjoying the new golemancer, lightning golems really shine at single target even with the map clear setup (GMP/pierce) much more enjoyable over flame golems i feel. Im doing a magic find version (boots gloves belt) and its going sweet especially now i trust/see the golems clean up 99.9% when i run past mobs (well open maps at least lol) quite fast map clear, tanky, very well rounded build!
Hey, glad it's working out for you. And sorry for the slow response! Speaking of well-rounded builds, the last few patches just keep getting better and better for minions. There are so many powerful summoner builds now, not just spectres and golems. SRS is still strong after being nerfed (twice?). Even melee skellies are good now lol. Was wasting time on Youtube and saw these killers:

Straight Zombies
Melee Skeletons
Huy's SRS

"
germano003 wrote:
Bandits? Kill all?
Hey, really sorry for the late reply! Yeah, just grab points unless you're trying to do a hybrid caster/summoner.

League Update
Played with a Tabula the whole league cause I couldn't hit my 6-link even after 4500+ fuses. Really left a bad taste in my mouth, so when I ripped at 94 I just didn't wanna play anymore. Kinda burned out on POE. Prolly gonna take a break and skip the next league or two. Uber Elder's gonna have to wait for a while.

New Videos
Figured I should update my old videos to 3.2 before going on break:

3.2 Shaper (4m03s; ~5K EHP, stupid test version)
3.2 Shaper (5m16s; ~11K EHP, boss setup, non-stupid version)
3.2 Shaper (5m48s; GMP setup, not optimized for bosses)
3.2 Shaper (6m48s; 5-link, no Anima Stone; simulates budget version)
3.2 Uber Atziri (full run, update from old 2.6 vid)

Build Updates
My login time will probably be really sporadic for the time being, so expect delays in replies. Apologies in advance ♫♫
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Apr 13, 2018, 12:34:46 AM
Mapping videos updated for 3.2:

3.2 T16 Forge of the Phoenix (w/ boss fight)
3.2 T16 Lair of the Hydra (w/ boss fight)
3.2 T16 Maze of the Minotaur (w/ boss fight)
3.2 T16 Pit of the Chimera (w/ boss fight)

Also giving away a Disfavour, Starforge, and exalt to anybody that wants to help me do some testing. Details here.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Apr 13, 2018, 1:31:26 AM
Thanks for the guide, really nice build. First witch character using this so still understanding the dynamic.
Few q’s:
Why is Deodres scorn not more popular as the helm? +2 to cursed with 4link orb setup seems very good and cheap.

I currently don’t bother resummoning golems so can I ignore might and use more harmony jewels?

How do you run with CWDT-phase run-frost wall in your weapon when CWDT activates summon stone golem?

Could you take a look at my char and recommend any gear upgrades. I’m on 5.5k ES atm, would like to be 6-7. Have approx 1 exalt to upgrade now.
"
Rickyg32 wrote:
Thanks for the guide, really nice build. First witch character using this so still understanding the dynamic.
Hey, nice to hear you're branching out. I should probably do the opposite and play more non-Witch builds. :-X But I digress...

"
Why is Deodres scorn not more popular as the helm? +2 to cursed with 4link orb setup seems very good and cheap.
3 reasons I think:

1) +2 gives relatively minor returns, since curse gems scale very linearly

2) The other mods are basically worthless for pure summoners. Curse Duration is worthless and the Witch provides negligible damage on her own with this build.

3) Doedre's is like a half-way option between a good Hubris (the best defensive option) and Three Dragons (the best offensive option), and this is a game where people generally like to focus hard in one particular direction.

Doedre's Scorn vs. Three Dragons
Offensive:
4-6% extra elemental penetration
vs.
20% guaranteed minimum Shock Effect

The minor penetration gains are insignificant since EE and 20/20 gems already give you ~140%. This pales compared to Shock, which is basically another "More" multiplier.

Defensive:
~+800 EHP (and +1-2% Temp Chains and Enfeeble effect)
vs.
~+100 EHP

Obviously, a 700-ish EHP advantage is pretty big. But the difference in curse effect probably wouldn't be noticeable. And if defense is your primary concern, then you'd probably be more interested in the next comparison:

Doedre's Scorn vs. Hubris Circlet
Offensive:
Okay, obviously Doedre's wins here, but like I said above, +4-6% aggregate curse effect is pretty minor. In relative terms, it's like 1/5th of a single Harmony jewel.

Defensive:
~+800 EHP (and +1-2% Temp Chains and Enfeeble effect)
vs.
~+1100 EHP (5c helm)

I tried to be conservative with this comparison, since you did mention the word "cheap". Here's a poe.trade search for helms in Bestiary SC that cost 5c or less with at least 200 ES and 80 life: http://poe.trade/search/arusahonimakit. Got around 15 hits, so it should be legit.

So Doedre's loses at least 300 EHP to a cheap Hubris. An expensive Hubris can widen the gap to 500+ and also provide resists and/or stats. So yeah, significantly better options exist both defensively and offensively. Since the current meta is very much about avoiding instagibs and killing before you get killed, going with the middle option kinda feels bad.

You can also look at it in terms of worth in passive points. Since you can easily pick up a 5% Curse Effect with typical Witch tree pathing, you could say +2 to curse gems is worth less than half a passive point. A Hubris on the other hand... Well, there isn't any node that gives +90 Life, +90 ES and +80% resists, but if there was it would probably be a watermelon-sized node near the Scion start and every build would to path to it. :P

"
I currently don’t bother resummoning golems so can I ignore might and use more harmony jewels?
You can. It certainly saves currency, but you might notice your golems stop attacking more often to try and follow you. Some people actually prefer this. I think you'll eventually want to keep Might in though. During key boss fights like Uber Atziri for example, you'll want the freedom to roam further away from your golems and focus on your own dodging without disrupting their offensive flow. In that a sense, it also functions as a defensive tool.

"
How do you run with CWDT-phase run-frost wall in your weapon when CWDT activates summon stone golem?
Oops. If you level your CWDT too high, then it will trigger/cast Stone Golem. I should've made that clear in the guide. Sorry, updated :x

"
Could you take a look at my char and recommend any gear upgrades. I’m on 5.5k ES atm, would like to be 6-7. Have approx 1 exalt to upgrade now.
It looks like you have a good amount of ES on your gear already. Instead of ES, I would work on incremental upgrades to boost Life totals first while investing in the Blood Drinker cluster, Mind Over Matter, and the Scion Life Wheel. If you have 1 exalt banked, I'd limit upgrades to 5-10c for now. Here are some live searches set at 10c max for:

Boots
Amulet
Gloves
Abyss Jewel
Rings
(rings last because they're the easiest slot to fill in missing resists/stats with)

Left out Helm, Belt, and Chest since the ones you have are fine for now. I recommend replacing all your non-Primordial jewels with Harmony also. Once you've done all that, then you can start saving up for a Presence of Chayula, which should put you over 7K.
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Thanks for info, I appreciate the detailed explanation! Just to clarify the ES/HP thing then.

My intention is to keep this char to clear bosses since I've never done shaper/elder.

If I go for ES + HP does that mean I need the shavronnes wrappings for chaos dmg?

The alternative being pure ES + CI? (which is cheaper?)

But do I even need the chaos resistance/shavronnes to do late game stuff?

Apologies if these are basic q's ^^
"
Rickyg32 wrote:
If I go for ES + HP does that mean I need the shavronnes wrappings for chaos dmg?
Hey sorry, I didn't realize you were going for CI since I saw a bunch of your gear had some +Life on it. Not many people play CI these days since the potential EHP ceiling is significantly lower.

"
The alternative being pure ES + CI? (which is cheaper?)
Top-shelf gear will almost always be expensive, no matter what archetype/build you play.

As a rough measure though, it'll be easier/cheaper to exceed 10K EHP with Hybrid. You can do this with Tier-2 Life/ES/ES% rolls on all of your gear. To hit 10K with CI, you need a lot more T1 rolls, which is not only more expensive, but also harder to find on the market. Not saying that T2 gear is cheap, but I would deem a full set to be reasonably attainable in the span of a 3-month league.

"
But do I even need the chaos resistance/shavronnes to do late game stuff?
Nope. You can do just fine in softcore without investing anything into chaos resistance. Shav's is only there to protect you from very occasional chaos spikes in HC.

Hope that helps and good luck ♫
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
and what u think about aspect of the avian for this build ?
"
Blackdedi wrote:
and what u think about aspect of the avian for this build ?
Mmm... I haven't played with it before, so I can only offer speculation. But just guestimating based on the numbers... I'm gonna say it's probably not worth it.

Random/unreliable proc chance
On/Off cycling effect
Relatively low damage bonus (~5% more overall vs. steady ~20% with Wrath)

The only advantage I can see over Wrath (or even Haste) is lower mana reservation that could allow you to run Discipline-Purity-Avian without spending extra passive points.

⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Apr 26, 2018, 8:58:12 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info