Damage Over Time Changes - More Information Part 2

"
Joo wrote:
I'll have to hire a consultant to break this down for me.
For 2 Exalts I'll explain it to you. For 5 Exalts I'll explain it to you so that you are even more confused. And for 10 Exalts, I will tell you how to build a great character that fails when you get to Dried Lake. All payments are in advance please.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
sherkhan wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
But Shock is already quite powerful, I think you might be selling it short there.

The problem with shock is that it's most efficiently applied with either Vinktar or Vaal Lightning Trap.

Combined with the lack of a lightning DoT, that leaves very little reason to build around lightning as a main source of damage.

Sort of thread jacking, but that is really only looking at shock from one perspective. Sure, there is merit in stating that Vaal Lightning Trap is great for applying shock to higher hp targets, but to outright state that building around shock and lightning damage is a waste of time is false. My current Blade Flurry Inquisitor deals 606k dps to shocked targets. When shock is not applied, the dps sits at approximately 404k (according to Path of Building). I can tell an enormous difference between the two when I run maps where the monsters have a 90% chance to avoid status ailments. Same goes for players playing Spark. Granted, shock is nothing like it was in its former glory where three stacks could be applied to a monster, but it is still very effective at bolstering damage. I personally am more intrigued with any potential changes to chill, freeze, and shock than I am with double-dipping and dots.
Still in the alpha stage, but at least build diversity isn't an issue: https://wolcengame.com/home/
Last edited by JNF on May 11, 2017, 8:16:10 PM
So...I'm using legacy Voidheart on my full melee Juggernaut. And if I understood it correctly, I'm gonna loose some significant portion of damage even if I was not double dipping. Elight me Brothers, cuz I feel confused o.O
Seeing is believing
So did united in sleep just lost alot of damage potential right? asking because i bought one recently
Since people have asked about it, here's another pair of images showing a case involving damage conversion:
Old System

New System

I've also edited this into my initial picture post on page 4.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on May 12, 2017, 12:37:09 AM
"Please help me. This is becoming a chore..."
"I'll have to hire a consultant to break this down for me."

POE is designed and marketed as a hard core ARPG, if you don't get the changes (TL;DR DOT's now essentially work the same way that damage conversion and "added cold" or "added lightning" work but with flat base damage that's doubled) you probably don't get conversion or even basic damage scaling and probably are following someone elses build, so why trouble yourself?

If all this sounds like elitism, it's a game designed for core gamers, it's no more elitism than saying "if you can't do lab get a carry" or "don't cry about starting over if you die in HC"
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on May 12, 2017, 12:02:11 AM
opps double post
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on May 12, 2017, 12:00:47 AM
"
alhazred70 wrote:
"Please help me. This is becoming a chore..."
"I'll have to hire a consultant to break this down for me."

POE is designed and marketed as a hard core ARPG, if you don't get the changes (TL;DR DOT's now essentially work the same way that damage conversion and "added cold" or "added lightning" work but with flat base damage that's doubled) you probably don't get conversion or even basic damage scaling and probably are following someone elses build, so why trouble yourself?

If all this sounds like elitism, it's a game designed for core gamers, it's no more elitism than saying "if you can't do lab get a carry" or "don't cry about starting over if you die in HC"

You did an excellent job of of saying nothing useful. People learn in different ways and part of playing complex RPGs like PoE involve learning the game's mechanics. What happens when you don't understand something in school? You ask questions. What you just wrote wasn't just elitism, it was a waste of time.

As it turns out Mark, a developer of PoE understands this and posted a useful graphic just regarding requests to help explain things better. Key word is help.

Thanks for those graphics Mark, they do a good job of explaining DoT conversions with the new system now.
How will those changes interact with Earthquake? Will "Aftershock deals 50% more damage" apply to damage over time effects?

And how it will affect Rapid Decay?
Last edited by Harsel on May 12, 2017, 2:25:54 AM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Nicksiren wrote:
Ugh, some of these answers don't do a very good job explaining. Understanding the changes to damage conversion in particular is giving me a headache, especially when the new "damage effectiveness" modifiers will be on attack skills. Some clarification is required on these again:

There's nothing more to say about the Conversion bit? Two things to take away:

1. Derivative DoTs check base Damage after Conversion. As such, if you only have Physical Damage sources, Molten Strike can still Ignite because it has Phys->Fire Conversion.

2. If you Ignite with Cold Damage rather than with Fire Damage, said Ignite will scale with Cold Damage modifiers. This is similar to Converting Cold damage to Fire damage, where the resulting Fire Damage is also scaled by Cold Damage modifiers.

%Base Damage modifiers on Attack Skills are actually just %More Attack Damage currently. With 3.0, they're changed to actually apply to the Base Damage, and thus will increase or decrease derivative DoT Damage (a Skill that deals 200% of Base Damage also has 2x stronger Ignites than a 100%-Damage Skill).

Damage Effectiveness for Attacks works exactly the same as it does for Spells. It's a multiplier to flat Damage bonuses.

There's nothing to clarify beyond what is said in the post.

About %Base Damage modifiers does it will apply to spells also?
For Example BV:
Now: MORE spell DAMAGE per blade.
New: MORE BASE DAMAGE per blade. ??? (Of course only for BV)
Last edited by CBEToffOP on May 12, 2017, 3:12:11 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info