Damage Over Time Changes - More Information Part 2

I hope the changes will deep enough to change the whole mechanism to a more calculatable DOT damage. I would be hapy if I could check the damage of my Righteous Fire character once...
Ugh, some of these answers don't do a very good job explaining. Understanding the changes to damage conversion in particular is giving me a headache, especially when the new "damage effectiveness" modifiers will be on attack skills. Some clarification is required on these again:

"
How will Damage over Time work with Damage Conversion?

Much the same as it does now. Damage over Time cannot be converted, but damage conversion effects will apply to base hit damage for Bleeding, Ignite and Poison before that damage is scaled by applicable modifiers. This means a skill like Molten Strike will still be able to ignite with Fire Damage that was converted from Physical Damage, but converting Fire Damage to Chaos Damage won't change the type of damage over time dealt by an Ignite.

In addition, cases where base damage of one type can cause a damaging ailment that deals a different type of damage will be treated similarly to conversion with regard to damage modifiers.

This means that if you have the unique item "The Three Dragons", so that you Ignite with Cold Damage, rather than Fire Damage, when hitting an enemy with Cold Damage, the hit will be affected by Cold Damage modifiers, while the resulting Ignite will be affected by modifiers to Cold or Fire Damage, because it's dealing Fire Damage from base Cold Damage - this is pretty much the same as converting damage from Cold to Fire, such as with the support gem.

Is there going to be any interaction between the inbuilt damage multiplier of skills and the DoT for poison/bleed/ignite? As an example, if I ran a skill with a reduced base damage (like spectral throw), would I do less damage than a skill with higher base damage (like heavy strike)?

In the Fall of Oriath Beta, we're changing the stat that is described on skills as "Deals x% of Base Attack Damage" to specifically apply to the base damage; Previously, it was a multiplicative damage modifier similar to what you'd find on a support gem, just presented differently. This meant it actually scaled all damage, not just base damage.

In future it will correctly modify the base damage. In addition, most attack skills will also have a Damage Effectiveness multiplier as many spells do, so that added damage such as from the Added Chaos Damage Support will be modified separately, since this Base Damage modifier will no longer be applying to it. Because Damaging Ailments are based on the base and added damage of the skill, this means that the Base Damage modifier and the Damage Effectiveness will correctly affect the ailment damage. As a result Spectral Throw would apply a smaller bleeding or poison than a Heavy Strike.

Please help me. This is becoming a chore...
Last edited by Nicksiren on May 11, 2017, 2:07:08 PM
Sounds good! We'll see what happens with game through year.

Few things that i hope can be interesting for players:
1)PvP.
Can you make some challenges, like races but on arena? 3х3, 1х1, for only 1 class or even no limit. Make some medals for chempions (like +5% Avoid Poison Ailments, +10% Global Crit and so on, any little buff). Every 1 hour registration. Daily, weekly and monthly prises.
2)Cooperation.
It is necessary to reduce the multiplier of the health of monsters for each player, but adjust (increase) monsters health. To high-level maps were available mainly for cooperative play.
For performance it is necessary to reduce the number of graphic effects from other party members. Perhaps as they did in Diablo 3 (transparent effects and minions).
Patry search anywhere by pressing "B" key, but not only in towns.
3)QoL.
I want premium inventory!!!! With a separate endless cell for Scroll Of Wisdom!!! =)
Cheers!

p.s. sorry for google translate...
I dont know why there isnt combat log in this game. It would help with theorycraft a lot.
I'll have to hire a consultant to break this down for me.
I didnt see it but will we get ctrl click for tribe stash ? getting old to transfer tons of stuff 1 by 1 :P
Tayeule Pis Joue
if GGG keep changes more comlplex, only professors can play this game.

i didnt understand anything about changes.

pls try to explain mechanics which are not announced before.

at this game playes have to learn game mechanics from forums. game is too comlicated. and ggg doesnt explain enough. even in poewiki all explainations refer from forums part by part. if any1 want to learn details about game he has to dig forums to learn game mechanics.

to create a build is necessary math. but after patch, simple math wont be enogh. we need master degree.

my poor brain.
"
druen wrote:
if GGG keep changes more comlplex, only professors can play this game.

i didnt understand anything about changes.

pls try to explain mechanics which are not announced before.

at this game playes have to learn game mechanics from forums. game is too comlicated. and ggg doesnt explain enough. even in poewiki all explainations refer from forums part by part. if any1 want to learn details about game he has to dig forums to learn game mechanics.

to create a build is necessary math. but after patch, simple math wont be enogh. we need master degree.

my poor brain.

While I feel your pain, the new system is quite a bit simpler than the old one, if you're looking at 'simple math'.

The complexity comes into play in determining what does and does not affect any given damage calculation. The calculation themselves (i.e., the math) are quite straightforward.

Last edited by NemisCassander on May 11, 2017, 5:57:20 PM
"
Nicksiren wrote:
Ugh, some of these answers don't do a very good job explaining. Understanding the changes to damage conversion in particular is giving me a headache, especially when the new "damage effectiveness" modifiers will be on attack skills. Some clarification is required on these again:

There's nothing more to say about the Conversion bit? Two things to take away:

1. Derivative DoTs check base Damage after Conversion. As such, if you only have Physical Damage sources, Molten Strike can still Ignite because it has Phys->Fire Conversion.

2. If you Ignite with Cold Damage rather than with Fire Damage, said Ignite will scale with Cold Damage modifiers. This is similar to Converting Cold damage to Fire damage, where the resulting Fire Damage is also scaled by Cold Damage modifiers.

%Base Damage modifiers on Attack Skills are actually just %More Attack Damage currently. With 3.0, they're changed to actually apply to the Base Damage, and thus will increase or decrease derivative DoT Damage (a Skill that deals 200% of Base Damage also has 2x stronger Ignites than a 100%-Damage Skill).

Damage Effectiveness for Attacks works exactly the same as it does for Spells. It's a multiplier to flat Damage bonuses.

There's nothing to clarify beyond what is said in the post.
Last edited by Vipermagi on May 11, 2017, 6:40:40 PM
So now immunity to status ailments means immunity to poison too ?
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info