Damage Over Time Changes - More Information

I intended to try the new patch by doing a Ice Spear Ignite build with the Three Dragons mask, focusing on the Ignite damage. Reading all these changes to Ignite fucked up my plans. If I understand, taking Cold Damage in my passive will boost my Ice Spear damage, but it will not burn a lot. Taking Fire Damage will make my Ice Spear do less damage, but burn a lot. Getting critical multiplier will boost the Spear, but not the Ignite. There will be nodes to apply this multiplier to the Ignite by sacrifying the hit damage, but keep the same critical chance?

So if I want to do a lot of burning damage with Ice Spear, I take Fire Damage, Critical Strike Chance for Spells, Critical Multiplier, convert this Multiplier to Ailments. This way the Ice Spear will do a poor cold damage, but it will burn as hell?

And the support gems I can use to boost the Ignite damage is Increased Burning Damage and Added Cold Damage? Other "increased spell damage" or "increased projectile damage" won't affect it?
Last edited by FrankCarnax on May 5, 2017, 3:19:09 PM
I was thinking ... And the blind effect? huh? It is not a ailment of course, but GGG could make blind become more usefull!

Actually blind only reduces the light radius, that actually is not a radius of vision. For monsters ... they don't care much with the blind effect!

So, I think that blindness could be removed from game or GGG could make it more usefull like monsters really losing accuracy when they are blind. They could miss attacks or spells ... Bosses even blinded still attack your char fiercily.

Try to make a test. Try to blind a monster and then run from him ... It will run behind you for sure like nothing happened with him.

We are in 2.6.x version of the game and "blind" and "flee" are completelly useless in game (in my opinion of course)

Just think ... Why to blind a monster or make it run from you?
Last edited by Treufeldt on May 5, 2017, 6:54:17 PM
"
Diddler wrote:
"
Lantis02 wrote:
Man, I don't know. How did things end up like this? I still love the game, but every update it seems to me like two steps forward, three steps back. The number of exceptions, alternate types of damage, hidden stats, and vague rules for everything is just slowly neutering the game.

I mean, it feels to me like there's this snowball effect happening, and eventually it's going to become more complicated than GGG is going to be able to do anything with. I don't care about nerfs, buffs, or what builds are meta or not end game viable. Honestly, those things are always going to be in the game, regardless what you do. I'm just saying that there is just SO MUCH fat that needs to be cut out. Why does there need to be like five different types of fire damage? Why does there seem to be an exception to every single possible core component of the game? Can't you see how this over complicates things? It's going to turn away so many new players and just irritate the core fan base.

Cut the fat and introduce more QoL. It's what people want, and what the game needs.

Honestly though? I'm not even sure why I am typing this out. For how much GGG says they are involved with, and listens to the community, my comment (as well as everyone else's here) is either going to be completely ignored, or just chalked up to being a hater. This is one of my favorite games, and I hate seeing it slowly fall apart. And I feel that a HUGE portion of the core fan base agree with my sentiment.

Glad I didnt have to write that up myself. Second this.

Annnnnnnnd third....
The Lab, making a great game good since 2016.
"
Bowman8763 wrote:
"
Diddler wrote:
"
Lantis02 wrote:
Man, I don't know. How did things end up like this? I still love the game, but every update it seems to me like two steps forward, three steps back. The number of exceptions, alternate types of damage, hidden stats, and vague rules for everything is just slowly neutering the game.

I mean, it feels to me like there's this snowball effect happening, and eventually it's going to become more complicated than GGG is going to be able to do anything with. I don't care about nerfs, buffs, or what builds are meta or not end game viable. Honestly, those things are always going to be in the game, regardless what you do. I'm just saying that there is just SO MUCH fat that needs to be cut out. Why does there need to be like five different types of fire damage? Why does there seem to be an exception to every single possible core component of the game? Can't you see how this over complicates things? It's going to turn away so many new players and just irritate the core fan base.

Cut the fat and introduce more QoL. It's what people want, and what the game needs.

Honestly though? I'm not even sure why I am typing this out. For how much GGG says they are involved with, and listens to the community, my comment (as well as everyone else's here) is either going to be completely ignored, or just chalked up to being a hater. This is one of my favorite games, and I hate seeing it slowly fall apart. And I feel that a HUGE portion of the core fan base agree with my sentiment.

Annnnnnnnd third....

Fourth.

Solving DoT is not introducing more convoluted rules and exceptions, 4 types of damage for one element, etc.

It's getting to be a bit ridiculous and we're still missing basic QoL. This seems bad, especially when you are trying to court an entirely new base to play the game on Xbox One.
Last edited by OrangeGamer on May 6, 2017, 12:02:55 AM
"
Bowman8763 wrote:
"
Diddler wrote:
"
Lantis02 wrote:

Annnnnnnnd third....

Yep.

I get why there are different fire DoTs, for example. But... things are getting absurd. PoE is already Path of Wiki, and Path of Building, just so people can hope to understand the math and balance of the different skills and interactions - with tens of thousands of words across posts like this explaining what should be a simple mechanic, there is clearly something wrong with the fundamental implementation of DoT in this game.
"
Bowman8763 wrote:
"
Diddler wrote:
"
Lantis02 wrote:

Annnnnnnnd third....

Agreed
In summary:

Question : Won't these changes make X mechanic dramatically underpowered, or dramatically more confusing?

Answer : Only if it is a bleed, poison or ignite, but not on the 4th of July when the user wears a hat, or on the 14th Thursday of the year. Otherwise, if it is a trash skill/build already, it will simply remain trash.

Can't help but think GGG are way too blase about collateral damage, and too eager to introduce complexity. Having separate sub-rules for every type of damage is really becoming strenuous. GGG also seem to be too interested in nerfing select strong builds, while having no interest in fixing underperforming builds. Revamping dots is a perfect opportunity to look at things like Viper strike. This whole revamp was a perfect opportunity to cut down on complexity. Nerfing good options alone will not bring about diverse game play. People will simply flock to the remaining strong builds. Adding a plethora of whacky rules will push people towards what they already know.
Last edited by KnyazSunny on May 6, 2017, 3:33:16 AM
So, I'm hearing a lot of people saying that the system is mysteriously harder to understand now.

Most confusing are the ones who say things like `% fire damage` will not effect ignite damage, which as far as I know is wrong.

Previously, if you had 15% increased fire damage and did 434.78 base damage in a hit, your hit would be scaled to 500 damage, and then the ignite would start there and apply 575 damage over the next four seconds, because it gets the same 15% again.

Now, your hit will still be scaled to 500, and your ignite will also be scaled to 500. Your multipliers just get applied to both exactly the same way.

If anything, this seems easier to understand - the average user isn't going to expect double dipping.
Last edited by MagusTheGrim on May 6, 2017, 6:52:05 PM
Why do people say double dipping will be removed? Technically, if elemental damage increases fire skill damage and ignite damage, that is in fact double dipping. Just because global generic damage increase doesnt double dip anymore doesnt mean double dipping is removed.

I came back to this game after several years break and had to learn the mechanics of the game again. I can only speak for myself, but i didnt expect increased elemental damage to both increase the skill and the ignite. The ignite is already based off the skills fire damage, so why would it get increased one more time? Same with poison.

This doesnt make logically sense and is a mechanic that never should have been in the game. But im guessing the developers like to have the game be cryptic and more complicated than it has to be. Then again, double dipping is already in the game and you now suddenly want to make it much weaker and kill build diversity? Poison/ ignite is not even top meta, so why should it be nerfed? If you are gonna nerf damage mechanics you should do it across the board. Just look at the ultra strong builds that doesnt even use poison/ ignite.
IGN: SynergyHC
Last edited by Synergy1337 on May 6, 2017, 7:14:12 PM
just one quick question, when does beta start?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info