Life is technically better than ES

I dont know about that.. just did a uber labs and ran 8 strait no problem. Last run I get one shot in last room with granite and basalt up, has 14k armour during this with 8.2k life. Never got one shot with 9k energy shield lol. Good times.
"
tinko92 wrote:
What you're doing is laughable. Your counter-argument for mine is that my argument is based on my opinion which I've formed by misinterpreting his claim. Yet somehow your interpretation of his claim isn't an opinion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5e04yk/es_is_technically_worse_than_life/

I'd agree, the main difference is that i didnt pull it out of my ass.
Last edited by Cataca on Apr 30, 2017, 8:11:25 PM
"
Cataca wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5e04yk/es_is_technically_worse_than_life/

That would make some sense if I pulled something out of my ass. And somehow a video of him saying that is your counter-argument to what I just wrote earlier.

Wannabe debaters lmao, easy there on the youtube and wiki/list_of_fallacies buddy.
"
Cataca wrote:
He said: "Life is technically better than ES." and from the context, you can pretty obviously see that he meant "A thousand life is technically better than a thousand ES". And he would be right.

As hilarious as this banter is, it really is nothing more than you interpreting something, and then immediately arguing with someone else because they interpreted it "incorrectly" in your eyes.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
Last edited by _Saranghaeyo_ on Apr 30, 2017, 9:01:02 PM
"
_Saranghaeyo_ wrote:
"
Cataca wrote:
He said: "Life is technically better than ES." and from the context, you can pretty obviously see that he meant "A thousand life is technically better than a thousand ES". And he would be right.

As hilarious as this banter is, it really is nothing more than you interpreting something, and then immediately arguing with someone else because they interpreted it "incorrectly" in your eyes.

If we are talking about the English language, that would be the correct interpretation.

How else do you interpret "Life is technically better than ES"?

Why would you interpret as random X value ES vs random Y value life, when the sentence makes it clear this is technical?
Why would you arbitrarily add values that are not there and not do a 1 to 1 comparison? How does that even make sense in that sentence?
Last edited by Starxsword on May 1, 2017, 8:01:16 AM
"
trav_dawg wrote:
Has anyone ever solved this infamous GGG riddle? I feel there must be a secret build we haven't yet discovered. I must know!

Have you seen a recent photo of Chris. The use of virtue gems on himself has changed his appearance (still has no hair though) so grotesque that you wouldn't recognize him and the insanity it has caused is unbelievable. I mean, I'd be desperate too if I was GGG's front man and had to hear daily why PoE performance sucks so badly.

Life is better than ES for many reasons but the constant nerfing of life nodes over the last couple of years is a huge negative to PoE. I have a fun to play SSF FB life build but at level 87 I only have 4.3K life even though I've taken all life I can get from the tree. Better gear that has more life has stopped dropping (stopped back in early 70s) so only the slow increase in strength is giving me more life as no rare jewels with 6% or 7% life are dropping (so far I've only had 1 drop last league) so the "riddle me this" on life nerfs continues.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
Mythabril wrote:
Threads like this are why devs don't post.
nobody forced them to say blatantly stupid stuff like this

GGG takes tons more flack (negative posts) here than Reddit so it's only natural that Chris and company are posting in Reddit and not in their own forums. I think is goes back to a very, very old skateboarding arcade game where you must "skate or die". Translated to PoE it means GGG must forge ahead with new content constantly or die (as a game company). That means they can't stop to fix problems and can only keep players riding the PoE merry-go-round (playing and buying mtx) with a continuous stream of new content. If GGG slows down then the reality and enormity of the balance mess would be overwhelming and destroy them. To come here (their own forums) and talk to us would unleash a tidal wave of "this game is balance broke" that would have them fleeing back into their coding caves but quick.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
MeWhenum wrote:
"
tinko92 wrote:
"
MeWhenum wrote:

But...it's not really silly at all. People take it out of context and blow it out of proportion then claim that the devs are morons because they made a somewhat ambiguous yet accurate statement.

Yes it is. It's a pointless claim as a lame try to ease all the negative feedback about the absence of balance in life-ES situation.

That statement isn't accurate since life and ES don't go 1 for 1 in the game.

GGG is known since Beta for not acknowledging major issues in the game and they love to go around putting out the fires with silly claims and reasons.

Did you read the rest of the post I made? Because you did the same thing to me that everyone does to the devs - you home in on one or two sentences, take them out if context, and ignore the explanation of the quote you claim is wrong.

Obviously life and ES don't go one for one. That would be a balance fail if they did. That's not what Rory said either. What they said is "X life is better than X ES". They did not say "the amount of life and amount of ES that builds can easily stack are balanced, and life and ES based builds are equal" (or at least that's not how I interpreted it). I'm not saying they're balanced either. Nobody said that (actually Chris sort of did, and THAT is the post everyone should be complaining about).

Predictably, though, everyone homes in on one sentence in exclusion of context so that they can rage unreasonably at the devs. People need to learn what a strawman is.

Nope. Sorry mate, I watched he podcast. Roy did not say at 1 : 1 life is better. When being asked about the disparity between es and life he replied "technically life is better than ES." He wouldn't elaborate so any interpreted meaning is nothing more than a guess.
IGN - Xukai

Mirror Service - /1046531
Last edited by trav_dawg on May 1, 2017, 8:55:16 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:

GGG takes tons more flack (negative posts) here than Reddit so it's only natural that Chris and company are posting in Reddit and not in their own forums. I think is goes back to a very, very old skateboarding arcade game where you must "skate or die". Translated to PoE it means GGG must forge ahead with new content constantly or die (as a game company). That means they can't stop to fix problems and can only keep players riding the PoE merry-go-round (playing and buying mtx) with a continuous stream of new content. If GGG slows down then the reality and enormity of the balance mess would be overwhelming and destroy them. To come here (their own forums) and talk to us would unleash a tidal wave of "this game is balance broke" that would have them fleeing back into their coding caves but quick.

Spot on. A F2P model like this, requires a certain amount of "new and shiny" to stay afloat. "WE HAVE A LOT OF NEW CONTENT" just sounds better in the media than "We just rebalanced the game, and fixed a lot of bugs".
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
tinko92 wrote:
"
Cataca wrote:

That would make some sense if I pulled something out of my ass. And somehow a video of him saying that is your counter-argument to what I just wrote earlier.

Wannabe debaters lmao, easy there on the youtube and wiki/list_of_fallacies buddy.

What is it with you and youtube debating videos? I didnt even know that was a thing.

If you are incapable of reading up to the second comment, i'll just quote it here:

"
Rory_Rackham wrote:
"

I think by "technically" he is referring to not being able to heal with flasks, are more vulnerable to stuns, shocks, freezes and so on.

Sadly none of this matters when you can easily achieve 50% or higher buffer that is more or less required to not get 1-shot most of the time, and you can get them back to full really fast if not instantly because of vaal pact, vinktar, occultist (+ soul strike) and status ailments or stuns aren't really a problem either anymore due to having so many different sources to counter them.

Sooo..

Yeah, spot on. There is a bit more to it like the fact that ES has a much more exponential scale in growth, so there is a 'right point' to switch to CI at which the positives (And value of EHP) start to outstrip the negatives, and then grows far faster than Life. If we're too brash with the changes, we've just pushed that point further ahead, so it becomes suitable only for when you have exceptional gear and a heavily-invested tree. In an ideal world, we push that point a bit earlier, but keep a distinct build and playstyle between CI and Non-CI where they're both relevant and interesting choices, without vastly different EHP values. We don't want to compromise the vision of that world by making blanket nerfs to all ES values - We've just gotta trim down top end sources of ES so they don't shoot their EHP so much higher than other kinds of marginal-investment defense builds have for EHP.

So, my point stands. It is a stupid argument to say "i interpret what he said as *insert opinion*" when he clearly states what his opinion is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info