Life is technically better than ES

I have a lvl 90 Maxblock Gladiator on HC and a lvl 89 Occultist with 13K ES.
The Gladiator is tankier. I don´t have to think about anything i just jump into packs
and trust that Aegis and Maxblock will do their job.
The Occultist compared to that is just squishy. And it wouldn´t be different if it had 15K ES.
Or even 20K ES. Because of the way the HP Pool is protected. It´s just good against oneshots.
Everything else no. A couple of white mobs can hit me and I´m dead.
The maxblock Gladiator can afk with a ES Pool of literally 300 and 3000 armour
will always replenish enough ES on hit that it doesn´t even affect his lifepool.
"
4) Infused shield node gives you 15% more ES. there is nothing like that for life (This could be a part of reason number 1 above too I guess).

Mortal Conviction? ;)
"
It´s just good against oneshots.

AKA the only thing that actually bothers a well build and geared end-game character.

And in your case of course your occultist will be squishier ... she does not take advantage of the stupidly godly GR+VP+CI combo (which is the main balance life vs. ES issue if you ask me)
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Last edited by KorgothBG on Apr 30, 2017, 7:04:22 AM
"
tinko92 wrote:
"
MeWhenum wrote:

But...it's not really silly at all. People take it out of context and blow it out of proportion then claim that the devs are morons because they made a somewhat ambiguous yet accurate statement.

Yes it is. It's a pointless claim as a lame try to ease all the negative feedback about the absence of balance in life-ES situation.

That statement isn't accurate since life and ES don't go 1 for 1 in the game.

GGG is known since Beta for not acknowledging major issues in the game and they love to go around putting out the fires with silly claims and reasons.

Did you read the rest of the post I made? Because you did the same thing to me that everyone does to the devs - you home in on one or two sentences, take them out if context, and ignore the explanation of the quote you claim is wrong.

Obviously life and ES don't go one for one. That would be a balance fail if they did. That's not what Rory said either. What they said is "X life is better than X ES". They did not say "the amount of life and amount of ES that builds can easily stack are balanced, and life and ES based builds are equal" (or at least that's not how I interpreted it). I'm not saying they're balanced either. Nobody said that (actually Chris sort of did, and THAT is the post everyone should be complaining about).

Predictably, though, everyone homes in on one sentence in exclusion of context so that they can rage unreasonably at the devs. People need to learn what a strawman is.
Last edited by MeWhenum on Apr 30, 2017, 9:32:39 AM
"
MeWhenum wrote:

Did you read the rest of the post I made? Because you did the same thing to me that everyone does to the devs - you home in on one or two sentences, take them out if context, and ignore the explanation of the quote you claim is wrong.

Obviously life and ES don't go one for one. That would be a balance fail if they did. That's not what Rory said either. What they said is "X life is better than X ES". They did not say "the amount of life and amount of ES that builds can easily stack are balanced, and life and ES based builds are equal" (or at least that's not how I interpreted it). I'm not saying they're balanced either. Nobody said that (actually Chris sort of did, and THAT is the post everyone should be complaining about).

Predictably, though, everyone homes in on one sentence in exclusion of context so that they can rage unreasonably at the devs. People need to learn what a strawman is.

I have read and that claim is still silly and highly inaccurate, despite you trying to make excuses and whatnot.

Funny how you're asking me if I've read your whole post, when your mid paragraph certainly shows that you haven't read my post properly (or you're just talking your stuff without acknowledging what others are saying).

You're focused on the "but they're attacking GGG/Rory!!!!!!!!" and you feel the need to defend their honor.

If anything, Rory was the one that pulled shit out of the context and proceeded to make that ridiculous claim, as if we're retarded. As if we don't know what's going on in the game.

That claim was ridiculous and pointless. It has no purpose and it's out of touch with the reality.

Heavy Strike is technically better than EQ. What would be the purpose of this claim? There is none, it's garbage.
"
tinko92 wrote:

I have read and that claim is still silly and highly inaccurate, despite you trying to make excuses and whatnot.

Funny how you're asking me if I've read your whole post, when your mid paragraph certainly shows that you haven't read my post properly (or you're just talking your stuff without acknowledging what others are saying).

You're focused on the "but they're attacking GGG/Rory!!!!!!!!" and you feel the need to defend their honor.

If anything, Rory was the one that pulled shit out of the context and proceeded to make that ridiculous claim, as if we're retarded. As if we don't know what's going on in the game.

That claim was ridiculous and pointless. It has no purpose and it's out of touch with the reality.

Heavy Strike is technically better than EQ. What would be the purpose of this claim? There is none, it's garbage.

You're delusional if you think I am defending them just for the sake of defending them. I have issues with the game just like everyone else, and I have said so in the past. I'm defending this particular instance because, for once, I don't think they deserve the criticism they are getting. Was it poorly worded? Sure. Was it worthy of all this fuss about it? Not really. I find it sad that you get all triggered when, for once, someone isn't just vomiting senseless hate at the developers.

You accuse me of not reading your post even though your post literally had one scrap of content ("That statement isn't accurate since life and ES don't go 1 for 1 in the game") which is not only not what they or I said, but also obvious...and on top of that I directly addressed it. The rest of the "content" of your posts have been "zomg GGG is so bad they ignore all problems riotttt, ur dumb if u defend them".

Glass houses, and all that...perhaps read the post before commenting again. You now have a second chance before you make a fool of yourself again. And please, use arguments that are relevant - unless you can pull out a quote from somewhere about them comparing heavy strike and earthquake, your example is totally useless and little more than attempt to confuse the issue.
Last edited by MeWhenum on Apr 30, 2017, 12:24:42 PM
lmao and somehow I'm the triggered one loooooooooool

That example was perfectly fine, not my fault you're too limited to understand that.
"
tinko92 wrote:

That example was perfectly fine, not my fault you're too limited to understand that.

You get triggered by people defending GGG, even briefly. I get triggered by people distributing logical fallacies and failing to think critically about the stances they defend. We all have flaws. :)

I repeat; unless you can actually refute, using facts, why the following statement is false, your entire argument is a strawman.

"Having an amount, X, of energy shield is worse than having that same amount, X, of life, absent any other mitigation factors."

If you read nothing else in this post, which seems like a real possibility based on your past posts, read that statement above, as well as this bolded one; I am saying nothing, at all, about whether ES or life builds are balanced in practice. I agree with you that investing solely in ES is, in most cases, a better option than using life + some other mitigation. ES nodes are more efficient, easier to reach on the tree, and have better returns on investment with good gear. All I am saying is that I do not believe that what Rory said, while worded poorly, was intrinsically incorrect.

Now you may disagree with me about what Rory meant by that quote, in which case we can only agree to disagree, unless Rory comes in here and clarifies. However, you have not stated that you disagree with me about the meaning of the quote, hence why I maintain my position that it was not an incorrect quote, regardless of what it sounded like to people.
"
tinko92 wrote:

You basically said "You are wrong, because i say you are."

I dont want to bash your debating skills, but.. yeah.. maybe try something more substantial.
Gonna ignore that clown there who watched one debate on the youtube and now thinks he's god of debates.
When he himself can't understand those simple points I made and then proceeded to call me triggered when he's the one that got triggered, writing in bold and shit, and I'm the one that uses fallacies lmao

"
Cataca wrote:

You basically said "You are wrong, because i say you are."

I dont want to bash your debating skills, but.. yeah.. maybe try something more substantial.

I even laid out an example of my own pointless and laughable claim (HS and EQ) which is the same shit as life and ES one.

You can't really bash my debating skills when you can't (or don't want to) understand my posts where I provided very clear points of why that Rory's claim was the one that was actually pulled from the reality of what's going on in the game, rendering it 100% pointless.

Players have valid reasons to complain about a terrible imbalance between life and ES. At the very least we could've received a non-insulting (he basically made a substantial part of playerbase look like retards that don't realize that life is better in a 1v1 scenario, which is not what's going on in the game) response from the devs to acknowledge the issue.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info