(READ FIRST)Can we please get a way to retrieve lost EXP? ;-;

"
UltimateForm wrote:

aaaaaaaaaaaaand I think most people didn't understand my point...or maybe I just didn't know how to explain.

I'm not wanting to make the game easier, in my mind, allowing players to recover PART OF the exp lost by defeating the empowered death cause seemed fair[/img]

Do you understand your own point? :P
You are quite literally saying:
I don't want to make game easier - I just want to decrease the difficulty!

Decreasing the death penalty decreases the amount of exp you need to get before dying to be able to progress at all. If at certain (probably 95+) level you die too much, you won't be able to level up ever again. If you add any way to get experience back without drastically increasing the penalty, you will end up with easier game. And I'm yet to see a sensible way of handling this proposed by anyone.
And yes, I was trying to figure it out in the past. While painful at moments, simple 10% seems to be doing the job (for now). :s

Bugs/lags/DCs are separate problem. These problems have to be fixed. Patching some other mechanic (by gutting it, pretty much) does not fix a problem - it only creates problem of other nature.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
I could agree with You but PoE has too many issues for death to be just "players mistakes". There are many situations when char dies because it was not player fault. Untill then we need some sort of at least chance to get back what we lost.
"
Perq wrote:
"
UltimateForm wrote:

aaaaaaaaaaaaand I think most people didn't understand my point...or maybe I just didn't know how to explain.

I'm not wanting to make the game easier, in my mind, allowing players to recover PART OF the exp lost by defeating the empowered death cause seemed fair[/img]

Do you understand your own point? :P
You are quite literally saying:
I don't want to make game easier - I just want to decrease the difficulty!

Decreasing the death penalty decreases the amount of exp you need to get before dying to be able to progress at all. If at certain (probably 95+) level you die too much, you won't be able to level up ever again. If you add any way to get experience back without drastically increasing the penalty, you will end up with easier game. And I'm yet to see a sensible way of handling this proposed by anyone.
And yes, I was trying to figure it out in the past. While painful at moments, simple 10% seems to be doing the job (for now). :s

Bugs/lags/DCs are separate problem. These problems have to be fixed. Patching some other mechanic (by gutting it, pretty much) does not fix a problem - it only creates problem of other nature.

Oh there were several propositions that I made regarding death EXP penalty, and all finished with the losing of one level if you died sufficient times - zerging is a worse problem that pigeon holing everyone into "play safe the highest EXP/danger tier you could manage", and keep that 0% experience bar to enjoy goofing around.

A gradual increase from a at least a fixed 5% that penalises your increasing number of deaths should have been a thing from a long while ago, as there is no better way to keep players attention that by taking away something they worked hard to have.

Lately I feel that a 16.6% death EXP penalty would actually be the sweet spot - you get up to 6 portals to finish a map, you should get those same 6 chances to lose an level - with a deleveling opportunity cost - and if you get to delevel, there should be a pop up that advises you to improve your build, items or skillplay if you want to advance, heck even offering some suggestions into that regard...

There is also the problem of damage spikes, so if they did rework the death EXP penalty to combat zerging, they would also have to tune damage in a way that no single hit should leave you below 20 EHP, except untankable damage (which should be untankable for all except for Vaal Immortal Call use), not to mention the fact that they should up the minimum damage of monsters while toning down their maximum output.

And no, the 10% penalty isn't doing it's job, as is it is right now, it feels inconsequential as long as you have enemies close to your level, and for the last 10 levels, which were also hit by an additional EXP gain penalty is too steep as long as you could lose a lot of progress in a single sweep and feel demotivated to continue.

There should be a better way to have death EXP penalty have meaning all along the progression from 1 to 100.

Oh, your point about dying too much post level 95 isn't a great one, as that was one of the aspects that lead to having this gorgeous "linear easy maps" meta to level to 100, also due to having no incentive EXP wise to advance to 100 via the true end game content.

PS: I once had 96 and 61%, GGG decided to introduce us to 2.5 patch, the game started to have abysmal performance for me, and I died on a tier 11 map to an berserking Abaxoth duo 6 times consequently - I am stubborn as @#%^, and the last time I did killed them - and I am sure that if the game didn't frame stopped I would have downed them both down in seconds, so I would enjoy that GGG kept the performance of the game stable enough and stop it with the "surprises".
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 25, 2017, 2:35:14 AM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

Lately I feel that a 16.6% death EXP penalty would actually be the sweet spot - you get up to 6 portals to finish a map, you should get those same 6 chances to lose an level

PS: I once had 96 and 61%, GGG decided to introduce us to 2.5 patch, the game started to have abysmal performance for me, and I died on a tier 11 map to an berserking Abaxoth duo 6 times consequently - I am stubborn as @#%^, and the last time I did killed them - and I am sure that if the game didn't frame stopped I would have downed them both down in seconds, so I would enjoy that GGG kept the performance of the game stable enough and stop it with the "surprises".

You'd be less stubborn if you were to lose a level instead of all your exp? Kinda puzzled here. :V
Last edited by Perq on Apr 25, 2017, 2:55:43 AM
"
Perq wrote:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

Lately I feel that a 16.6% death EXP penalty would actually be the sweet spot - you get up to 6 portals to finish a map, you should get those same 6 chances to lose an level

You'd be less stubborn if you were to lose a level instead of all your exp? Kinda puzzled here. :V

Maybe, and that loss was not due to my piloting skills, but due to newly introduced technical problems that dropped me to 0, yeah you read right, 0 FPS for a couple of seconds during the fight.

I was making the point of how you could lose the progress of hundreds of maps in a few minutes in a way that I didn't find fair.

Oh, and if I knew that persevering into my stubborness could delevel me, you could bet that I would have tried at most 2 times that fight and then try to improve the character sufficient to win it the third time or whenever the need would arise in the future (that is to say that I would have taken a further closer look to the build and items and asked me what went so wrong).
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 25, 2017, 4:09:59 AM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

Maybe, and that loss was not due to my piloting skills, but due to newly introduced technical problems that dropped me to 0, yeah you read right, 0 FPS for a couple of seconds during the fight.

I was making the point of how you could lose the progress of hundreds of maps in a few minutes in a way that I didn't find fair.

Oh, and if I knew that persevering into my stubborness could delevel me, you could bet that I would have tried at most 2 times that fight and then try to improve the character sufficient to win it the third time or whenever the need would arise in the future (that is to say that I would have taken a further closer look to the build and items and asked me what went so wrong).

So, you haven't stopped after going in there and dropping to 0 FPS. After it happening 3 times in a row you should know it would happen again. But you died 3 more times.

Of course you wouldn't stop trying. You'd trying until you'd drop to level 1 (if there were sufficient portals left).
What you are proposing is actually increasing the death penalty so that people are more afraid of it. Guess what - death penalty used to be higher, and it was decreased. Wanna bet why? :V
All in all, this doesn't fix what people are complaining about in the slightest, and honestly creates even worse scenarios.
I personnally dropped the game due to the penalty. At the time I was already avoiding huge chunks of the game because of it, like a lot of other players do.

I still don't understand why GGG won't rework such a bad outdated mechanic.
The insane death penalty is what puts me off this game every single league. With no ability to recover what was lost it very quickly becomes a 'why bother' mindset.

No one is saying the game should be easier... it's a bitch grindfest above 80, but stack on this 10% exp loss whenever something hiccups it induces one to quit. When one quits, GGG does not get them to open their wallets.

Lost XP should be recoverable, end of story. Let's say - if you kill the cause of said demise within 10 minutes it gets returned, but if you die a second time the first is lost entirely while the second is recoverable, ect.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
"
Perq wrote:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

So, you haven't stopped after going in there and dropping to 0 FPS. After it happening 3 times in a row you should know it would happen again. But you died 3 more times.

Of course you wouldn't stop trying. You'd trying until you'd drop to level 1 (if there were sufficient portals left).
What you are proposing is actually increasing the death penalty so that people are more afraid of it. Guess what - death penalty used to be higher, and it was decreased. Wanna bet why? :V
All in all, this doesn't fix what people are complaining about in the slightest, and honestly creates even worse scenarios.

I did persevere as I wanted the duo dead at any cost, and I reached that goal with more difficulty than anticipated, but after the third death I just wanted to be certain that 2 other skills that I play were experiencing the same problems - I swapped Static Strike for Wildstrike and Ice Crash, and I concluded that no matter what, the game was at fault, WinMTR was smooth and my ping was without spikes/loss etc.

People should feel the death EXP penalty as a hurdle that has to be overcomed, and you have a lot of builds that do so when reaching 100 on Hardcore, so I would concede to have more weight added to the death penalty for fair deaths, while removing one shot situations except for untankable damage.

And it would perfectly resolve these complains too, if you wouldn't feel that you had to "work" instead of play and have "fun" while doing so.

Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 25, 2017, 9:00:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info