(READ FIRST)Can we please get a way to retrieve lost EXP? ;-;

"
Fruz wrote:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Level 100 is just a grinding achievement

As much as I agree that there should be much more incentive to running t16 for xp past some point ..... so what ?
It is a grinding achievement, I don't see a problem with that.
It also is an endurance test for those pushing the ladder.

More grind means that luck streak have less impact, which also means that pure efficiency is more important and that does favor skill to some extent.

You made it sound like level 100 without a death penalty will not be an achievement anymore, and I think that it will retain it's grinding achievement status even with a 0% death penalty.

Efficiency as the main goal made everyone search for the most broken aspect of the game to gain an advantage, and also made the developers to focus on placing walls in check to mitigate at least partly that tendency, until they could address the problems further (I hope), and that is the core of the "metas".

I'm not against the existence of the "metas", but I would love to see a more focused on balance approach starting with 3.0 instead of spinning a dime and just let one side of go rampant as the other goes bust...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 24, 2017, 6:44:06 AM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

You made it sound like level 100 without a death penalty will not be an achievement anymore, and I think that it will retain it's grinding achievement status even with a 0% death penalty.

And this is, of course, false. Of course it will make it far easier. With no exp penalty you can now just run the craziest shit, with biggest pack size and just stick Cast on Death Portal and get back there. With this, getting to 100 would be FAR easier.

Not to mention that some people cannot get to 100 at all because of the penalty. Of course it would be much less of an achievement.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
sofocle10000 wrote:

It will be much less of an achievement indeed.
Plus you would remove part of the merit for those that have lready reached 100 ? .....
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Apr 24, 2017, 7:12:36 AM
Not at all boys. Regardless of your point of view, the leveling to 100 has to be made by a character that has to kill stuff to gain experience to actually level to 100 and that implies a lot of grind. That in it's own is an achievment.

You of course argue about the difficulty of the grind, that has those hurdles as death EXP penalty for example, on the 100 mile track, but to get from start to finish, you do have to pass by your own that entire length. You always have to pass through all those miles with or without hurdles.

And no one should argue that it would be easier to get to 100 without a death EXP penalty. I wasn't. I just stated that leveling a character to 100 even without a penalty is still an achievment.

And of course if you're set to remove the death EXP penalty, you have to equalise the playing field first, either by having the removal of the death EXP penalty only in custom leagues, or by regaining it when you vanquish the foe that killed you or by any other means, that should account for characters made since the change went in effect.

By the way no one around here was interested in the complete removal of death EXP penalty, or at least I was never in favour of something like that. I am actually more inclined to raise it, but in a fairer way - do read my previous comments too, if you haven't already.

Finding ways to keep a sense of seamless progression during the ride from 1-100 and lately during the snail pace of advancement of the last 5 levels should be a goal, as before 95 death EXP penalty isn't an Great Wall type of hurdle, but during those last 5, each death on softcore feels more mindnumbing than the last...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 24, 2017, 12:00:37 PM
What about, instead of having your XP lost, you would get penalized with time? As in, a death=X mins of no progress. It would probably have the same effect, as in, spending time to recover but, at least, you would not feel like you lost progress.

Alternatively, I like what sofocle10000 proposed. Have a progressive death penalty within a fixed period of time, after which it resets. Starting low but scaling upwards, mitigating the very punishing effects of one-shots and volatiles, etc.
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
That in it's own is an achievment.

Not really, it would be completely mindless.
But I guess the notion of achievement is subjective.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
QuiquePoE wrote:
What about, instead of having your XP lost, you would get penalized with time? As in, a death=X mins of no progress. It would probably have the same effect, as in, spending time to recover but, at least, you would not feel like you lost progress.

problem with things like this is what that probably ends up looking like is fuck, I just died, now I have to go into an empty zone or a pointless zone I cant die in, stand in the corner and force down my movement button so I run into a wall endlessly for an hour or 2 while I go watch a movie before I can get xp and hence play the game again with 0 progression lost.

Also when u put a penalty on something someone has just done, it feels bad because that effort was wasted. But theres no penalty to keep on going, they can pick themselves up throw in another map and theyre in an environment where the time they now spend playing is 100% worth it. When you take that penalty away from the time they have spent and stick it onto the time they are about to spend that makes it well why bother keeping on playing now? Theres going to be a lot more of "well if I keep playing now I get fuck all xp so Im just going to turn off the game" which is absolutely what you do not want. Next day turn on pc, shall I play PoE? Well Ive got to serve out this 2 hour period of 0 xp fuck that, Ill play something else. You want to keep them in a place where its always "if you play this next 5 minutes then you get 5 minutes worth of loot and xp", now if they die they lose that xp, but at any point in time you want to pick that next 5 minutes is full rewards if they survive it, you never have a situation where you have no reason to play this next 5 minutes because you wont get any xp due to a penalty.
"
de99ial wrote:
So it is this?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1886167

Thank you! I edited the thread mentioning it.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand I think most people didn't understand my point...or maybe I just didn't know how to explain.

I'm not wanting to make the game easier, in my mind, allowing players to recover PART OF the exp lost by defeating the empowered death cause seemed fair - and don't get me wrong, the current system would be fair too (it is mostly fair) if lag and screen freezes and other mundane reasons were not unfairly interfering with gameplay.

And although I stand my ground, I now believe GGG will never change this, because the community probably wouldn't allow it.

Aye I'm out

Last edited by UltimateForm on Apr 24, 2017, 2:55:03 PM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
That in it's own is an achievment.

Not really, it would be completely mindless.
But I guess the notion of achievement is subjective.

Come on, just imagine that the Hardcore setting of one death = you lose everything (and also get the 10% penalty, which is a nice touch of GGG), gets removed, and you now have this endless timesink sandbox in Softcore.

If you're actually thinking about it, the only difference is the fact that on Hardcore you get the opportunity to make a mistake only once, while on Softcore you get to experience endless opportunities and ways to die.

The notion of achievement isn't as subjective as you think, it's just that some add more weight to it by having the impression that all those impediments make it more worthwhile, but in the same time, I don't think that the achievement of people reaching 100 should be viewed as such an epitome since most of the characters that reached 100 didn't do so by farming the end game content (I do talk about Guardians/Shaper/Uber Atziri etc.), so it feels way more empty than it should have been...

I would be perfectly fine if most/all of my builds could reach 90 easily and start the "hard mode" for the last 10 levels and further adjust them to reach farther if that is my goal, but I also don't use exploits to break the game and I reached 96 and 85% in a few years on that character - most of my playtime is with that one, >2000 hours, and don't laugh, I died with him almost once per hour when doing a total of hours played/deaths, hence my opinion of me as a casual n00b hoarder (although in the last 500 hours played I managed to die 6 times versus two berserking Abaxoths on a very difficult map - I'm also stubborn as @#%^ - and 2 times versus a Volatile Devourer + Plumetting Ursa, while also running at least 6 mods highly difficult corrupted maps tier 11-13 for Atlas completion).

If he was supposed to stop at 90, so be it, post 3 months or some farm for enough regrets for a complete respec and then I would have started further min-maxing and commencing the ride to 100 by facing all the most deadly content with all bells and whistles, which should be something to be experienced by all as those encounters are where the true difficulty is supposed to be...

Right now there is 0 incentive for me to do that.

Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 24, 2017, 3:55:19 PM
"
UltimateForm wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
So it is this?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1886167

Thank you! I edited the thread mentioning it.

Oh thats not a problem at all. I just gave link so two descriptions of the same idea could give better understanding about.

We all counting on something to be done about this silly XP penalty, especially in PoE where miracolous deaths happens. Everybody playing knows this situation when we die, we ressurect come back and turns out monsters are weak and do not present any danger. But why we died? Mystery.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info