(READ FIRST)Can we please get a way to retrieve lost EXP? ;-;

Can we please not? See. Works both ways. You don't deserve the next level if you're dying. really. Not every player or character is going to make it past 90.
No. What you are suggesting is in reality no different than removing the xp loss all together which would be a horrible thing for this game.
New sink for orb of regret. Probably shouldn't give you all of it back though, but I could see getting half of it back.
The more More you have, the less Less matters
So it is this?
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1886167
For this to work ... let's say regaining 50% of the xp .... the xp penalty would need to be increased first.

Like : put xp penalty back to 15%
you get 7.5% back if you kill what killed you.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Apr 24, 2017, 1:38:38 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
For this to work ... let's say regaining 50% of the xp .... the xp penalty would need to be increased first.

Like : put xp penalty back to 15%
you get 7.5% back if you kill what killed you.

The rationale to increasing the death EXP penalty back to 15% is? Why not suggesting to increase it to 20% so you would just keep the status quo if you get the players to kill what killed them before (except bosses, because it is so great to have zerging ability in PoE). >.<

Even with the current death EXP penalty of 10%, regaining 5% back just means that you now need 2 deaths instead of one to feel the loss of those 10%.

Come on. You all feel the need to regain some of the lost EXP just because it's painful to level past the artificial wall that GGG placed on levels post 92-94 (don't worry, I feel this too), but I would prefer if they rework the death EXP penalty to account for something and have more weight when you die an increasing number of times.

Death EXP penalty should at least be scalable from a set 5% for 3-5 deaths up to deleveling your character post let's say 20 deaths. No one says you should not feel death as a penalty (although that should be possible in a custom league/special snowflake mode), but could we have deleveling as an option to alert players that zerging isn't the way to play PoE?

If it were up to me, I would also modify the death EXP penalty to have a set maximum value of 16.6% of current one on the character - so if you want to play a 6 portal map you could lose a level - but that would also require either content up to level 99 so you don't feel absurd rage when death embraces you character, or at least fine tuning of damage spikes and the afferent balancing of EHP mechanics to have players killed by their own faults, not some "Volatile/DD" mechanics.

Right now, to gain EXP post level 95 is atrocious, so another way to keep the status quo would be to link those last 5/10 levels - heck, they could add an pop up screen that advises players that leveling post 90/95 will need a lot more EXP grind than before, so the they could proceed at their own risk and always have the last few tiers (the red maps post tier 11) to give an EXP gain that always amount to at least 1% per map. Increase the difficulties of the fights accordingly and let everyone experience harder end game content at their own pace. Keeping the death EXP penalty at 10% will be enough if even the end game whites will feel dangerous in packs, no matter your build, something should always have a shot to kill you by hitting/casting towards your character in sufficient stacks.

So there could be options to alter the death EXP penalty, but all of those should account that death should always make you question what killed you and how would you stop that for happening in the future, instead of not paying attention, "pop goes the weasel" death and regaining 50% of the lost EXP due to killing that haunted enemy - heh, they should add a torment spirit and one random essence for each death that enemy scores versus you up to the maximum number of 6 (1 tormented + 5 essences), if they really want to make those fights interesting at least...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Most of the death would be down to 7.5% xp with such a system ( and the number I threw in ).
If you just give players the possibility to get back half of that xp ... that would make the penalty down to 5%, which is likely not enough imho.

So 15 / 7.5 did seem like an acceptable compromise, to show that penalty could be increase if we consider such a thing.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Apr 24, 2017, 3:18:11 AM
"
UltimateForm wrote:
Like pretty please?

Grinding the whole weeknd and then lose all the hardwork because of a lagspike or some OP mob mod you didn't notice is really demotivating...

Why don't we make it like...you lose exp but then if you kill the mob who killed you get the exp you lost back??? There was a thread that suggested something like this a while ago, the guy proposed the idea that the mob which killed u would become stronger (would stack if he killed you again) <- we can make this only apply to normal-magic-rare mobs so Atziri and Shaper don't get too OP

This way you'd still be punished for dying BUT you'd never lose your hardwork in a unfair way...

Please...

How is that unfair? Penalty is supposed to be punishing. o_o And you know from the very start that it works that way. There is nothing unfair about death penalty... Well, maybe there are some things... like fucking volatiles and some other retarded mechanics, but lets not digress here too much, as penalty on its own isn't the problem.

And yes, you want the penalty removed. In the endgame you mostly only die to your own mistakes (and Volatiles, which are retarded), and you usually don't make these twice against same monster.

At the same time, this does nothing to I only fight bosses at 0% exp thing (which is a problem, by the way).

Lets be honest here - if it takes you whole weekend of grinding to get 10% of exp (at any level), you are probably not ready to get to level 100. Why not just accept that as a fact, and improve until you can get it, instead of trying to remove the challenge? I mean, there are people who have done that (even on hardcore)... Do you really want to remove the challenge for them?
By removing the death penalty, you'll get yourself your sexy level 100... but getting level 100 will not be an achievement anymore.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Apr 24, 2017, 3:51:50 AM
"
Perq wrote:
"
UltimateForm wrote:
Like pretty please?

Grinding the whole weeknd and then lose all the hardwork because of a lagspike or some OP mob mod you didn't notice is really demotivating...

Why don't we make it like...you lose exp but then if you kill the mob who killed you get the exp you lost back??? There was a thread that suggested something like this a while ago, the guy proposed the idea that the mob which killed u would become stronger (would stack if he killed you again) <- we can make this only apply to normal-magic-rare mobs so Atziri and Shaper don't get too OP

This way you'd still be punished for dying BUT you'd never lose your hardwork in a unfair way...

Please...

How is that unfair? Penalty is supposed to be punishing. o_o And you know from the very start that it works that way. There is nothing unfair about death penalty... Well, maybe there are some things... like fucking volatiles and some other retarded mechanics, but lets not digress here too much, as penalty on its own isn't the problem.

And yes, you want the penalty removed. In the endgame you mostly only die to your own mistakes (and Volatiles, which are retarded), and you usually don't make these twice against same monster.

At the same time, this does nothing to I only fight bosses at 0% exp thing (which is a problem, by the way).

Lets be honest here - if it takes you whole weekend of grinding to get 10% of exp (at any level), you are probably not ready to get to level 100. Why not just accept that as a fact, and improve until you can get it, instead of trying to remove the challenge? I mean, there are people who have done that (even on hardcore)... Do you really want to remove the challenge for them?
By removing the death penalty, you'll get yourself your sexy level 100... but getting level 100 will not be an achievement anymore.

Level 100 is just a grinding achievement, not to mention the mindless state that the focus on efficiency made it - in PoE as long as you fight closer to your level monsters you don't feel death penalty, heck you ROFL STOMP the storyline content at the moment with insight and some "OP" items, even severely underleveled, there are certain gear checks, but with some skillplay you can mostly face everything the game throws at you, if not outright facetank it.

The problems appear end game wise, when to have the same ROFL STOMP experience, items and content should be more closely tied together but at the moment, until you reach higher than tier 15 you don't actually test your builds that reached at least 90 versus worthy foes.

That is why progression post a certain level threshold should be tied to higher end game content EXP wise, to keep you invested in that character and his journey to 100.

At the moment I get the most efficient leveling experience by daisy chaining Shaped Strands, Plateaus or Gorges - not to mention Poorjoy's rotas - (and most other people for that matter) because GGG forgot to add sufficient EXP incentive versus the higher degree of danger, to the end game content to keep us there, and the RNG status regarding map drops is underwhelming.

As I said a lot before, a higher level character should never drop a goddamn tier 5 Burial Chamber from killing the Shaped Strand duo, but a same tier map instead. Nerf drop rates accordingly, change the Atlas mechanic that adds a "measly" bonus to a higher chance for a +1 level map to drop, to a bonus that keeps characters that reached high or end game content there, as it is boring to watch this power creep and have tuned for it only a small part of the content.

I see no incentive to gun as fast as possible for completing the Atlas, when anything post 100 completion offers enough sustain to roll maps blue and never run out of red tier maps. If it was a more intertwined experience between level and content scaling you would see me, and many others way more invested into optimising the builds to stay alive in tier >15 maps.

By the way, even if you remove the death penalty, with the current EXP ratios, level 100 is an achievement of invested time in the game, as no one on a new character gets there easily. And, no, us mere mortals with a casual playstyle would still take a long time to get there, even when trading (but not actually abusing the game). Heck, tie the level 100 to the Guardians/Shaper/Uber Atziri or even Uber Izaro in a lesser extent, and you would at least make everyone focus on their build, items and not lastly, their skillplay.
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Apr 24, 2017, 6:12:13 AM
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
Level 100 is just a grinding achievement

As much as I agree that there should be much more incentive to running t16 for xp past some point ..... so what ?
It is a grinding achievement, I don't see a problem with that.
It also is an endurance test for those pushing the ladder.

More grind means that luck streak have less impact, which also means that pure efficiency is more important and that does favor skill to some extent.
Last edited by Fruz on Apr 24, 2017, 6:21:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info