[3.5] Pure Uniques Molten Strike HOWA. 4 Mill Shaper DPS, Good Defences

"
UndrcvrKiller wrote:

But i am a little confused on the skill tree. what should i ibe picking up first? and has anything in this build changed for the gear? also the ascendancyis are locked in the race so what acendancy should i get?

Grab everything in the bottom half of the tree first for leech and point blank. From there its pretty open and how much life you get depends on your gear, looks like you have plenty so it should be fine to do whatever. Scion can only get the ascendant ascendancy so no choice need be made

"
Aelloon wrote:
Why are you using Multistrike and Ancestral Call at the same time?
If you're fighting a single boss, then Multistrike is going to screw up Ancestral call by making 2 of the 3 attacks target the boss and not trigger Ancestral Call. Swapping it out for Lightning Penetration or Elemental Focus would offer you a similar amount of damage, if Multistrike and Ancestral Call worked together and also make it easier to color the sockets.

Swapping out multistrike for elemental focus would be better dps but its there for quality of life. Molten strike feels sluggish and not great to play without multistrike.

Most bosses in lategame don't approach you so its up to you to find the sweet spot where you are as close to them as possible but still far enough away that your ancestral call ghost is proccing and you are not hitting them yourself with the multistrike hits
"
WaffleT wrote:

"
Aelloon wrote:
Why are you using Multistrike and Ancestral Call at the same time?
If you're fighting a single boss, then Multistrike is going to screw up Ancestral call by making 2 of the 3 attacks target the boss and not trigger Ancestral Call. Swapping it out for Lightning Penetration or Elemental Focus would offer you a similar amount of damage, if Multistrike and Ancestral Call worked together and also make it easier to color the sockets.

Molten strike feels sluggish and not great to play without multistrike.

That's just an illusion. Multistrike makes a skill *more* sluggish. It just doesn't look that way. Multistrike gives you 94% more attack speed, but requires that you have to attack 3 times every time you press the button. This means that you actually end up having to stand still to complete your attacks for a longer period of time than you would've had to if you didn't use Multistrike.

Here's an example:
Suppose your character can do 1 attack per second without Multistrike. Every time the character attacks your character is rooted to the spot for 1 second to continue through with it.

Let's now imagine that you slap Multistrike on it. You get 94% more attack speed, meaning that your 1 attack per second becomes 1.94 attacks per second. Now it takes you 0.515 seconds to do the attack, however, you're forced to attack 3 times. In other words, you're rooted to the spot for 1.545 seconds every time you press the attack button.

Yes, the attacks look faster, but you're stuck there for longer.

Damage-wise Multistrike is 1.94 * 0.7 = 1.358 or a 35.8% more multiplier.
@Aelloon
"
Aelloon wrote:

That's just an illusion. Multistrike makes a skill *more* sluggish. It just doesn't look that way.

Uhh sluggish is a subjective statement of how a skill *feels* to play. This cannot be wrong as its a personal preference thing when you test between the two options and see which is to your taste

"
Aelloon wrote:

Multistrike gives you 94% more attack speed, but requires that you have to attack 3 times every time you press the button. This means that you actually end up having to stand still to complete your attacks for a longer period of time than you would've had to if you didn't use Multistrike.

Yep this is true, without multistrike I'm glued for 0.29 seconds for an attack and with it I'm glued for 0.15 seconds per attack for 0.45 seconds total. Gaining an extra 0.15 seconds of total immobility, thats part of the cost of multistrike

"
Aelloon wrote:

Damage-wise Multistrike is 1.94 * 0.7 = 1.358 or a 35.8% more multiplier.

Yep multistrike gives about that much damage and I agreed before that focus gives more.

One reason that I think multistrike feels smoother to me is that during mapping everything dies in 1 hit anyway so the important factor is the spread of the orbs. Multistrike roughly doubles the number of orbs you produce per second which also doubles the chance that those minions at the edge of your range will get hit so you can move on.

Mapping without multistrike or changing damage on full life into focus and then mapping with multi and bossing with dmg on full life seems a perfectly reasonable choice if that suits you more
Which gem setup is better? The one in your gem selection tab or the one slotted into your chest piece?
Can someone recommend a defensive setup for the boots? Maybe another CWDT one
It was mentioned in yesterdays Baeclast that molten strike will be recieving some changes

"
Chris mentioned they will reduce the number of balls and change the threshhold jewel in some way, making them drop faster.

any early thoughts?
"
Rosslol wrote:
It was mentioned in yesterdays Baeclast that molten strike will be recieving some changes

"
Chris mentioned they will reduce the number of balls and change the threshhold jewel in some way, making them drop faster.

any early thoughts?

Too early to speculate. If they just remove the threshold jewels from relevancy it will almost halve its damage so its more likely they move some projectiles to the main skill and raise its damage a touch while still nerfing the skill in general.

If the nerf is more then 25% damage then spectral throw will probably rise up as the better option which could result in some tree changes but point blank and vaal pact location would still encourage the current form of the skill tree.

There will be skill tree changes in 3.3 and there is whisperings of old skills getting reworked so we could also see a resurgence of reave, cleave, doublestrike some real old ones
So at level 81, I would say this dual wield guardian does work well as a league starter. And not just in a regular league like beastiary, but Flashback Event. It's hard for me to believe that HoWA's were once more powerful than they are now, and were nerfed.

Here is my gear:

Flasks:

I two wildfire jewels, two fertile minds, and a pure talent jewel. I have no rare jewels. It is definitely harder to start a character in a league, especially one like flashback, but this character has been relatively cheap. The most expensive item I have is a bricked lvl 3 Enlighten that I bought from someone today at 59 chaos, thanks to selling an ancient orb for 20c. My ES right now is 7559 in my hideout and the damage is amazing, even in this 5L. The damage leveling the whole way with Hand of Thought and Motion was tremendous. You can play this as dual wield HoWA as a league starter as a guardian. Two Perandus Signets would be rough, though. I am using this Le Heup of All that I found early in the league. Without it, and without good rare jewels it would be tough to max resists, and bricked lvl 3 enlighten are not cheap early in a league. I am using a low level spell in the boots to proc 10% spell block. I temporarily have clarity turned off. It's especially important as guardian to reserve lots of mana.

Here is my tree:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUDAADuA5YHYw18DkgPqxEvEZYVIBa_GYoZtBnXGmwc3B2qJIsknSj6KU8qTSsKLL8s6S2DL28wWzdHOyg_J0VHRnFHBkrIUEJWSFfJV-Jd8l9qYENiWmZUa6xuPW5pcLtyw3fle8N_xoDggpuC5IMJhMWFe4aziq-MNox2jxqP-pARkiuTJ5cGmzCbtZ2unjyiLqUYpwinNKsLrTO0DLUEt2i4k76KvqfAZsHFwzrEosrTy73MBtDQ037V-Ngk2RPdDd-Y4YjkIuaB6rrr7uwY7DjtIO9677z2o_b8-d0%3D

Path of Builder doesn't seem to be working right now, otherwise I'd use that. I'd like to get a Wise Oak next, and maybe a Rumi's Conconction so I can have around 45-47% block and 20% spell block without Bastion of Hope as a dual wielder with decent armor. I am doing lower level maps now. I haven't done uber lab. But this looks like it could do all the content, including Uber Elder if I take it all the way. I wouldn't be surprised if I was doing over a mil dps now with a 5L.
Last edited by Zindax on May 19, 2018, 11:40:39 PM
"
Zindax wrote:
I am using a low level spell in the boots to proc 10% spell block.

maybe a Rumi's Conconction

Casting a spell is distinct from triggering a spell, its a bit confusing that the gem is called "cast when damage taken" anyway Basion of Hope is not giving you spell block from a triggered spell and its not worth spending the cast time to manually cast so you don't get the bonus spell block.

Right now that 4-link is only proccing the immortal call which I find redundant after getting decent evasion/block

The 12-19% spell block I quoted was just from rainbowstride converting from my normal block. The importance of block and spell block can be rather ethereal as its hard to tell how much its doing so different people assign different value to it

Rumi's is a top tier defensive flask especially for characters with some block already

Le heup of all is a great ring on par with the signet rings if you need the resistances
"
Do you think GGG is going to fix the Queen's sacrifice prophecy so we will get a chance to upgrade our Mirror?

Nope Chris confirmed on the podcast that they want a chase unique that is really rare. I think they went waay too overboard on that since its 10x rarer then a mirror or something but thats their choice.

Its a shame as atziri's reflection is almost objectively better then duel claw. With one you can cut all ES for damage nodes and end up with better DPS and ES then duel claw while also getting curse immunity

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info