[3.0] Max Spell Block "Bone Storm" Firestormer (Cheap, Tanky, HC, League Starter)

"
powergreen wrote:
midtown

How you survive on T10+ map with elemental reflect mod ?
i one time cast firestorm and this hit 50% my hp (total 4.2k)

or just skip this map ?

Great question! So great, I already put it in the FAQ :P

"
midtown wrote:

What map mods should I avoid? If you are playing HC, I recommend avoiding maps with Reduced Block Chance (fine for SC), as well as Elemental Reflect (obviously). You can run elemental reflect with care and a ruby flask if you really need to. If doing this, don't stack much Firestorm, use flasks, and have patience.

What is your combined HP+ES? You should have AT LEAST 6K combined before doing T10+ I'd say. I'm running T11s with 7.8K combined HP+ES.
Oh, my bad, dont see it

Thanks again, with Coruscating Elixir Ruby Flask elemental reflect mod much easy
without this flack i deal to much fire dmg and kill myself :)) (on Softcore ofc)

but its very strange mechanic, run with 1hp when Ruby Flask active
Last edited by powergreen on Mar 24, 2017, 10:07:24 AM
"
powergreen wrote:
Oh, my bad, dont see it

Thanks again, with Coruscating Elixir Ruby Flask elemental reflect mod much easy
without this flack i deal to much fire dmg and kill myself :)) (on Softcore ofc)

but its very strange mechanic, run with 1hp when Ruby Flask active

Interesting! I'd definitely recommend using a normal (magic) ruby flask, so you don't lose all your HP :P Something like this:

Again, generally phys chars skip phys reflect maps and elemental chars skip ele reflect maps, but if you are having fun with it, keep it up :)
midtown Thanks for answer, you post really help me with this game!

I have few question again :)

1. Why you dont levelup quality to 20% on gems bone offering, flammibility ?
on T14 map i feel i need more dps to map boss
today kill boss on Palace Map (T14) around 5 min
i think 20% gem quality flammibility increase my dps

if i kill 5 min standart T14 map boss i do not imagine how time i kill
guardians and shaper :)

2. I thinking replace Cybil paw to Scourge, cost now only 40chaos orb
its waste chaos ord or Scourge deal much dmg ?

3. what enchantment you now have on helm ? i think better its 25-40% increased Firestorm Damage
but can proc it

4. anyone my gear/gems is corrupted, its important to get more dps ?
i levelup to 20/20 my main gems more 1 week and now afraid to broke it

5. and last, i see you Playstyle spoiler, so you dont spam Scorching Ray when fight with bosses ?
and use it only to cast firestorm ? zombie die fast on T14, so main dps skill firestorm
buffed via bone offering

Please record short video with gameplay if you have time
Last edited by powergreen on Mar 25, 2017, 11:14:54 PM
"
powergreen wrote:
midtown Thanks for answer, you post really help me with this game!

I have few question again :)

1. Why you dont levelup quality to 20% on gems bone offering, flammibility ?
on T14 map i feel i need more dps to map boss
today kill boss on Palace Map (T14) around 5 min
i think 20% gem quality flammibility increase my dps

if i kill 5 min standart T14 map boss i do not imagine how time i kill
guardians and shaper :)

2. I thinking replace Cybil paw to Scourge, cost now only 40chaos orb
its waste chaos ord or Scourge deal much dmg ?

3. what enchantment you now have on helm ? i think better its 25-40% increased Firestorm Damage
but can proc it

4. anyone my gear/gems is corrupted, its important to get more dps ?
i levelup to 20/20 my main gems more 1 week and now afraid to broke it

5. and last, i see you Playstyle spoiler, so you dont spam Scorching Ray when fight with bosses ?
and use it only to cast firestorm ? zombie die fast on T14, so main dps skill firestorm
buffed via bone offering

Please record short video with gameplay if you have time

I'm glad to hear it!

1. In the gem section it covers priority gem qualities. Quality on gems does different things per gem. For flammability, each 1% quality offers 0.5% increased ignite duration. We don't care about ignite that much so a 20% flammability is not going to increase our DPS by much at all. Ignite increases burning damage which Firestorm doesn't do (but Scorching Ray does).

T15 and under bosses should be pretty quick, about 1 minute max. These are all SUPER important to our DPS: Are you swapping in a high lvl Concentrated Effect for Inc AoE before fighting bosses? Do you have Elemental Overload allocated in the passive tree? Are you using Bone Offering, Overflowing Chalice, and Atziri's during the battle?

2. Scourge is a nice claw. I prefer playing HC and would not be willing to lose the 8 life gained per hit, and the cast speed is also nice. But in SC Scourge will help increase offense at the expense of defense.

3. Overall, what I'm hearing is that you want a more offensive build, which this IS NOT. An additional 6-9% block chance is way better IMHO than increased firestorm damage. DPS should not be a problem for up to T15s *at least*.

4. You can try if you want, honestly the 20% quality is not that important on any gems except Blasphemy will make the biggest difference due to making Flammability 10% more effective. You definitely don't need a lvl 21 gem for any of this. I think the bigger problem is something else to do with playstyle or equipment.

5. Yes, you should be holding down Scorching Ray and hitting the boss directly with it as much as possible. Zombies should not really be dying. What are your Zombie gem links? Is it linked to Minion Life and Minion & Totem Elemental Resistance? It seems like it is looking at your character, so I'm not sure. Are you running crazy increased damage map mods? Are you keeping Bone Offering up most of the time to help your zombies? Are you casting a Skeleton Totem to give the boss plenty to be distracted by and take some heat off the zombies?

Thanks again for the feedback and questions :) If you send me a video of your bossfight, I will happily critique it :)
Last edited by midtown on Mar 26, 2017, 2:56:03 AM
Since the Blasphemy AoE is not so great in 2.6+, I'm currently playing around with a non-blasphemy build that should scale to even higher-end content.

Instead of using Blasphemy, we use Tempest Shield + Curse on Hit, to effectively curse anything that's hitting us since we have such a high block chance. This frees up 70% mana, and we can use Anger + Arctic Armor now! Anger (replacing Clarity) is an awesome DPS boost, and Arctic Armor (in an Unset ring or replacing the Faster Casting in the Desecrate 4L) is awesome for phys dam reduction while channeling, and the less fire damage is great against reflect. It also builds in an additional 3% block chance to the build, and curses bosses at range so we can stay further away. It was a smoother Chimera kill for sure, and I'll try this in 3.0 beta and report back :)
"
midtown wrote:

Instead of using Blasphemy, we use Tempest Shield + Curse on Hit, to effectively curse anything that's hitting us since we have such a high block chance.

Interesting idea! Does this mean that you've moved curses to a 4-link (Tempest Shield-CoH-Enfeeble-Flammibility), or have you dropped one of the curses? Any risk of becoming more susceptible to one-shots since you'd now have to block an attack before cursing with enfeeble? I'm imagining a situation where you fail to block the initial attack, so there's no enfeeble curse lessening the blow.
"
uriaha wrote:
Does this mean that you've moved curses to a 4-link (Tempest Shield-CoH-Enfeeble-Flammibility), or have you dropped one of the curses? Any risk of becoming more susceptible to one-shots since you'd now have to block an attack before cursing with enfeeble? I'm imagining a situation where you fail to block the initial attack, so there's no enfeeble curse lessening the blow.

Great question, I forgot to mention that! Yes, this moved to a 4L, replacing your CWDT set up, which just becomes CWDT + Convocate + (Anger/Arctic Armor/Vaal Summon Skels, higher level than CWDT so you can cast manually). I'm viewing this as a more end-game set up, so with this I'd suggest Red Dream or Red Nightmare to generate endurance charges, as well as take the endurance charge bandit reward and the nearby +1 Endurance charge node with the 2 points we can now save by skipping the 20% Inc AoE of auras node :) This way, we have 20% phys damage reduction at max charges (5), so we skip Immortal Call as having a perma-basalt is arguably better than random intermittent invulnerability.

"
uriaha wrote:
Any risk of becoming more susceptible to one-shots since you'd now have to block an attack before cursing with enfeeble? I'm imagining a situation where you fail to block the initial attack, so there's no enfeeble curse lessening the blow.

Yes, that's technically true. However in my playstayle, it was dubious how often bosses were cursed anyway based on how far away I try to stay. With Tempest Shield, you can now Enfeeble + Flammability bosses at range. So yeah, it makes you more vulnerable to a nearby boss who isn't cursed, but safer from a boss outside of Blasphemy range. If you want to be extra safe in a boss fight, just take out the Curse on Hit gem and self-cast the curses, they last quite a while :)

I'll write this up in an "advanced play / endgame" section shortly!
Last edited by midtown on May 10, 2017, 6:15:39 PM
A suggestion for those who want to do more damage, at a cost (of cause) of a bit of life.

Drop this spell near a boss, it will last a long time due to the passives:

It gives about 37% extra fire penetration, it's like an additional fire penetration gem linked.

I'm playing around with this build - an additional option for a bigger buffer would be the "Mind over Matter" keystone, with the curses on tempest shield freeing the mana to get a bigger buffer against big hits.

Update: Just hit early maps with my MoM variant. So far, it's been amazing. This build levels like a dream, it's tough as nails, and it stomps all over low-tier maps with a 4L. MoM has been easily sustained with a single rarely-used mana flask. I ended up dropping the skeleton totem to run Bone Offering + Arcane Surge (lvl 8) + Increased Duration. That gives me 1% less block and spell block, since I can't use that Bone Offering setup in my +minion gems helm, but gives me great QoL on Bone Offering (up to 20sec duration!) and an 11-second Arcane Surge on every cast.

---

Any thoughts on using Mind Over Matter with this build? I'm planning a variant (link below) that uses MoM, Anger in an Essence Worm, and Clear Mind.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PathOfExileBuilds/comments/6iifbi/critiques_appreciated_max_blockmom_firestorm/
Last edited by MasterAaron01 on Aug 17, 2017, 5:37:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info