Forced name change for no reason

The best part of all of this is that we are talking about a fucking name change. A NAME CHANGE. No one got banned. No accounts were frozen. No items were stolen. No one got scamazed. Literally, this dude was using the name of a well known early supporter, and when that supporter asked that their name be given back, it was... Dude, just get over it. Move on. Pick a new name, and get back to grinding.

Also, it seems very odd that the name chosen was as specific as it was... It is like someone choosing the name KRIPP, and then pretending they don't know that they were using someone else's name (not that Reaper = Kripp, but the idea stands)
U MAD?
Don't try logic on potato
Potato just buries his head in the dirt
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
"
Ennui wrote:
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Ennui wrote:
Well he lied to support and broke TOS saying I was going around and impersonating him like anyone even knew who he was lol.

How do you know what he told support? It's not like they play "he said, she said" with the players...

Also, "I've never heard of this guy so nobody knows him". Seems legit.

Not so sure you weren't impersonating him now. lol

Something fun I came across: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/39133

They told me what was told to them so yea I kinda do know...

Screenshots or it didn't happen.

"
Ennui wrote:
And what is the issue with this? Wasnt this the EXACT reason they freed those names up?

The names weren't freed up to allow non-supporters to take the name of big supporters. You didn't just take some random character name, you took his account name. Whether intentionally or not, you'd have been impersonating him. Do you see the issue now?
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Shovelcut wrote:

"
Ennui wrote:
And what is the issue with this? Wasnt this the EXACT reason they freed those names up?

The names weren't freed up to allow non-supporters to take the name of big supporters. You didn't just take some random character name, you took his account name. Whether intentionally or not, you'd have been impersonating him. Do you see the issue now?

The problem is OP is keeping themselves in a massive disconnect from easy possibilities and their own intentions. It seems pretty clear that they have no intention of admitting that the mere possibility of anyone, not just them could have dire consequences if they do something less than acceptable with a character name that is unintentionally impersonating a big name supporter.

Also like everybody else who comes on here to gripe about something that is obvious to everybody else, OP has a major friggin' problem with the ToS being what they are. Incoming "why bother playing if you have no rights to your account. WTF!?" post...

@OP

There is no slippery slope, GGG and any other game company with a mediocre amount of respect and dignity would not just ban people willy nilly without proof of why they should be banned. Their terms of service gives them pretty much god powers when it comes to your rights accessing your account in any fashion, logging in, account name, etc. But it does not make sense for them to start banning at random, or banning at reports without any solid evidence, or rhyme or reason to forcing name changes and such. A game developer doing that in their own game would never see their community rise to the size PoE has, people would get tired of the fascism and leave long ago.

You can try to imagine any sort of doomsday scenario involving account activity you want since GGG has absolute control, doesn't make it true. There is a reason that slippery slopes are usually a fallacy

You have no reasonable logic why GGG making sure big name supporters (and even the little people, just look at their name and shame policy on the forums) from having their reputation besmirched, would devolve into "Hey look, this person got reported once. Instaban!" ~Bex_GGG. There is no reason for it to happen, it simply isn't going to happen unless GGG collectively loses their shit.

(After watching the release trailer this afternoon, losing their shit may actually happen though. How long did it take them to work on 6 Acts instead of just one?)
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
Last edited by PleiadesBlackstar on Feb 14, 2017, 4:43:11 PM
"
"
Shovelcut wrote:

"
Ennui wrote:

The problem is OP is keeping themselves in a massive disconnect from easy possibilities and their own intentions. It seems pretty clear that they have no intention of admitting that the mere possibility of anyone, not just them could have dire consequences if they do something less than acceptable with a character name that is unintentionally impersonating a big name supporter.

Also like everybody else who comes on here to gripe about something that is obvious to everybody else, OP has a major friggin' problem with the ToS being what they are. Incoming "why bother playing if you have no rights to your account. WTF!?" post...

@OP

There is no slippery slope, GGG and any other game company with a mediocre amount of respect and dignity would not just ban people willy nilly without proof of why they should be banned. Their terms of service gives them pretty much god powers when it comes to your rights accessing your account in any fashion, logging in, account name, etc. But it does not make sense for them to start banning at random, or banning at reports without any solid evidence, or rhyme or reason to forcing name changes and such. A game developer doing that in their own game would never see their community rise to the size PoE has, people would get tired of the fascism and leave long ago.

You can try to imagine any sort of doomsday scenario involving account activity you want since GGG has absolute control, doesn't make it true. There is a reason that slippery slopes are usually a fallacy

You have no reasonable logic why GGG making sure big name supporters (and even the little people, just look at their name and shame policy on the forums) from having their reputation besmirched, would devolve into "Hey look, this person got reported once. Instaban!" ~Bex_GGG. There is no reason for it to happen, it simply isn't going to happen unless GGG collectively loses their shit.

(After watching the release trailer this afternoon, losing their shit may actually happen though. How long did it take them to work on 6 Acts instead of just one?)

Tbh I dont care what others do I care that I was wronged. Regardless if someone COULD abuse something this turns into a minority report issue if we can see people COULD possibly do something wrong we need to deal with it now. I completely can see someone abusing this but how often does this happen? I did nothing wrong and was never offered a real reason or a good reason from GGG support. I now have been robbed of a character name that has a certain value on it. To me this is no different than if GGG went into someone's inventory or stash and took some items out and said we got a REPORT that you scammed someone so we changed your items around. No evidence no follow up. You then ask them "Hey whats up" they just give you some BS answer with nothing else and drop it.
"
Ennui wrote:

Tbh I dont care what others do I care that I was wronged. Regardless if someone COULD abuse something this turns into a minority report issue if we can see people COULD possibly do something wrong we need to deal with it now. I completely can see someone abusing this but how often does this happen? I did nothing wrong and was never offered a real reason or a good reason from GGG support. I now have been robbed of a character name that has a certain value on it. To me this is no different than if GGG went into someone's inventory or stash and took some items out and said we got a REPORT that you scammed someone so we changed your items around. No evidence no follow up. You then ask them "Hey whats up" they just give you some BS answer with nothing else and drop it.

look, it's not a democracy here. you have no rights whatsoever.

face it, you either trust ggg as we all do or play something else.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Ennui wrote:
I now have been robbed of a character name that has a certain value on it.
The only value in it is that it is somebody else's account name.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
Ennui wrote:

.... F'ing really?

GGG does this preemptively simply so they don't have to deal with the 'whatifism.' Furthermore, I just told you what freakin' happens if they do allow it to happen, you end up with Runescape where people either try to scam others with somebody as famous as Zezima in their name or Jagex in their character name. I never fell for it but there were plenty of players that did. It is too much of a hassle to deal with and much easier to just not allow it to happen.

In the grand scheme of things, your momentarily hurt feelings are nothing versus the shit GGG would be dealing with if this conversation weren't possible to happen.

Furthermore, I also addressed why you should implicitly trust GGG in matters such as this: It doesn't pay for them to arbitrarily enforce rules to dick with people. The game would be dead if they did. That being said, they also have absolute dictatorship over your account so like vio said, deal with it or find something else.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
What's amusing about this thread is that if OP was some random guy complaining he'd been inactive for a while and his name was gone everyone in this thread would be telling him to suck it up and he should have logged in more often.

If you lose your name because of inactivity you shouldn't get it back no matter who you are.
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
"
What's amusing about this thread is that if OP was some random guy complaining he'd been inactive for a while and his name was gone everyone in this thread would be telling him to suck it up and he should have logged in more often.

If you lose your name because of inactivity you shouldn't get it back no matter who you are.

Somewhat true. Had it been just about anyone else I'd agree with you. But the person we're talking about has close to $8k worth of supporter packs. He was important enough to have had his name immortalized in-game, so yeah after a certain pay threshold there should be hidden perks. Like, not letting someone else take his special char name.

Kudos to GGG for looking out for the supporters that helped bring the game to where it is now.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info