Buying new PC, need advise :) What is your PC configuration?

I am not rich, I think it will be somethink like:
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz/4core/SVGA HD Graphics 4600/1+6Mb/88W/5 GT/s LGA1150
4Gb <PCI-E> DDR5 GIGABYTE GV-N970WF3OC-4GD (RTL) DualDVI+HDMI+3xDP+SLI <GeForce GTX970>
Is it enough for PoE? Does this CPU will disclose videocard potential?
How much RAM I need? What about cooler and power supply?

Post your configuration:
CPU
Video
Motherboard
RAM
Cooler
Power supply

And leave comment about your experience in PoE? Do you play with max settings? How much FPS with various locations, and which situations deliver most of problems, many shadows, ground effects, big pack with sea witches and other effects on them etc. Does anybody check videocard temperature due playing?
Last bumped on Jan 30, 2017, 3:43:20 PM
As long as you get a decent intel CPU, a recent Nvidia card, and an SSD, PoE will run just fine in solo play. Parties can slow down any computer.

I used to run PoE on an i7 2600k and a GTX 760. It was fine then and they've generally improved performance over the years.
I've got a 6700K in a Gigabyte Z170N with 16 GB RAM and XFX RX 480 GTR Black 8GB to compliment it. Max settings dx11 client, 75 fps locked. Slight stutter (maybe 3 frames) when whole screen explodes or a Large Strongbox opens, otber than that it runs awesome. Parties are a pain though but probably more to do with me not used to 2-3 times as much stuff happening rather than hardware. Under load VGA runs at 60C max, haven't seen it go higher than 67C in ANY game I play.
Intel CPU **NOT** required

Post your configuration:
CPU AMD FX8350
Video GTX 980 Ti
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990fx
RAM 24 gb
Cooler stock air
Power supply big 850 watts

I am very happy with the many updates to the game engine.... soon we would be good enough for a POE MMO ( would be nice ).

This game is still not too demanding. Even then, despite some few synthetic benchmarks and a few fps in some games the Intel vs AMD argument is very old and tired.

The price to performance for AMD is vastly superior.

With the new RyZen family of CPU's I expect a FX 8000/9000 could be had pretty cheap with decent if not uber performance.
** Asus Crosshair TUF Gaming x570-Plus, Ryzen 3900x, Corsair H100i AIO, TridentZ 128GB DDR4, RX6900XT, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD **
Doesn't matter, the glitches freezes and stutter stepping are from the shitty optimized game engine. No amount of hardware on your side will compensate for terribad. Maybe GGG should of used the donation monies to fix their game instead. Business 101.
i originally played on a 1st generation, mobile i5 that had 4 GB of ram and some really crappy, mobile variant nvidia GPU. it was a toaster: playing with runescape graphics (because it was easier on memory and loaded quicker), my frames-per-second was "ok", but noticeably choppy.

then in october last year, upgraded to a desktop:
* i5-6500 with stock, intel-supplied cooler
* 16 GB ram (ddr4, 1300 Mhz, i think - ie, not the quickest clock speed)
* still using a mechanical, 7200 rpm hard drive (no SSD - yet) - loading times in PoE is tolerable for me.
* nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB (specifically, the MSI Gaming X)
* ASrock z170 Pro4 main board (overkill at the moment)
* 650 watt power supply (again, it's overkill at the moment)

also got a full HD monitor, but it can only do 60 Hz max refresh, so i'm playing PoE with VSync turned on.

i only play solo. never had any slow-downs, playing the 64-bit client with ALL graphics options maxed-out. FPS is mostly a constant 60 frames-per-second, with split-second dips to about 57 or so. (ie, un-noticeable, at least to me.)

my internet ping's around 30-60 ms to my country's server. not the best, but i can happily play in lock-step, with no issues.

oh - temperatures - i've monitored these with MSI afterburner. i get:

* CPU: never been higher than 42 degrees C (107-108 F), and that's in a room that gets warm in the afternoon and early evening (often hits 30 C, or 86 F) - it's the australian summer after all, and i don't have air conditioning. Also, this is while i'm often running a second (720p tv) screen that's showing twitch or a youtube video, as well as a second PoE account (i multibox with a second mule account - perfectly legal within TOS :P)
* GPU: with factory-only, out-of-the-box settings (i've never needed to overclock it myself), it's a *very* icey 67 C (152-153 F).

this isn't my game-playing account; just my forum-posting account :P
"
ElfBoy wrote:
Intel CPU **NOT** required
The price to performance for AMD is vastly superior.

Yeah pretty much. Same could be said for the Nvidia/AMD argument, its just fanboy squabbling. With a decent AMD GPU you can run this game with no problems.

"
As long as you get a decent intel CPU, a recent Nvidia card, and an SSD.

SSD, yes. It helps a lot with load times. The Intel CPU and Nvidia part is a matter of preference though. I play on an FX-8350 Black @ 4.5gHz and a Radeon RX 480 8GB with no problems. They hold their own with Intel and Nvidia, and at a fraction of the cost, especially if you are into overclocking.

Btw, I've seen it said on these boards that PoE wasn't optimized for AMD, which I think is a pile of horseshit for one big reason: Xbox. Microsoft exclusively uses AMD for its hardware (as does Sony for the PS4). Considering Path of Exile is debuting on the Xbox later this year, I would find it extremely hard to believe that the game would run like shit on AMD (if I didn't already know it doesn't).

So to the OP, I'd suggest trying to maximize your PC performance according to your budget. Try to get the best bang for your buck.
Last edited by Vyrtualis on Feb 3, 2017, 6:43:09 PM
I am on my third PC since I started over 4 years ago:

i5-6500 3.20
8 GB DDR4
I have a 100 GB SSD that I run my OS on - with a 1 TB as the data drive
NVidia GTX 650 Ti
Win 10

My last config was i3 with 12 GB DDR3 - ran PoE off the SSD and it helped as it was a bit older PC
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Advice: Wait until you're rich.
Just buy a console save the rest, put it in an ira Roth...
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info