2.5.2c Patch Notes

Great work GGG, but please let us turn off shadows on D11
Affliction master craft service Affliction My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Affliction veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Affliction SC master craft service Affliction SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Affliction craft PM: TreeOfDead
Try opdating youre gfx driver.

I did and helped alot
"
"
Kellog wrote:
Sadly, this patch hasn't really changed the situation from 2.5.2. FPS and frame time are still all over the place and stuttering persists.

It would be really nice to have some detail regarding who the "some users" with "specific, relatively rare setups" are/were?
Considering most people reporting performance problems don't include their computer specifications, they must work off of a small sample of hardware configurations that are having performance issues.

Hint: Post your computer specs next time (or edit them in to the post I quoted).

Or perhaps they are just sending the DXDIAG and Client.txt to tech support as requested and simply posting here to show that there is still an issue. (Like I am). :)
"
"
Kellog wrote:
Sadly, this patch hasn't really changed the situation from 2.5.2. FPS and frame time are still all over the place and stuttering persists.

It would be really nice to have some detail regarding who the "some users" with "specific, relatively rare setups" are/were?
Considering most people reporting performance problems don't include their computer specifications, they must work off of a small sample of hardware configurations that are having performance issues.

Hint: Post your computer specs next time (or edit them in to the post I quoted).

There are numerous posts related to this issue in the technical Support and Bug Report forums. Most of those reporting in those threads, have either posted their specifications voluntarily or have sent the data to GGG upon request.
I edited my post to expand on some ideas.

"
"
Thesseract wrote:
could we please get an option in the menu to run the DX11 version from before 2.5.2 (call it pre-2.5.2 DX11 or something)?

Having a second version of the DirectX 11 mode would make bug reports confusing, do you think most people would bother mentioning which mode they're using?

Ya, like right now they have no way of telling whether people are having problems with Directx 9 or Direct 9ex or Directx 11... There's just no way to tell!... Except people are clearly communicating they are having a problem with Directx 11. Like they would do with another mode. Do honestly think it is more complicated asking people which mode they are using then asking people to paste their Dxdiag?

"

It would also be extra code that has to be maintained as the game is updated. They would also need to ensure upcoming/new visual effects work correctly with the old DirectX 11 renderer in addition to the other renderers and make sure it works right.

Or they could just provide the option but not support it: call it "Pre-2.5.2 Directx11 - warning no support provided", or something like that. I don't see why they have to maintain it.

Look I don't know how much work it is to actually provide the option, I also don't know how quickly it would stop working if not maintained. If you know these things please let me know - (I'm genuinely curious), but are you really just posting to basically say "Hey I don't think GGG should spend time and resources on this problem"?

It seems like 2.5.2 helped the performance for a lot of players. Since I want everyone to enjoy POE, I just thought providing the players negatively impacted by 2.5.2 another option, might be a simple solution that could help everyone enjoy the game.

Ultimately, at the end of the day GGG will decide whether keeping a player like me is worth the time and resources of fixing the problem. All I know is that before 2.5.2 Directx 11 ran very smoothly on my rig and now it stutters. I can use Directx 9 but, I get huge frame drops during heavy breaches with Directx9. It would be nice if GGG communicated with us what their current intentions are though.

Last edited by Thesseract on Jan 27, 2017, 1:24:20 AM
"
Thesseract wrote:
Look, adding in the option of a new mode is new work, but I can't tell why you are trying to make things more complicated than that. It seems clear that you were not one of the people affected by patch 2.5.2 in a negative way. Why you would take them time to make a post saying "GGG shouldn't try to help people", that I just don't understand.

It would add complexity to the source code, make future content updates harder due to having to maintain more code than they otherwise would need to, takes time, effort and resources away from other tasks. Why do all that to offer a work around to a current issue, when the affected people already have perfectly valid work arounds available to them (DirectX 9 and 9 Ex)?
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
"
"
Thesseract wrote:
Look, adding in the option of a new mode is new work, but I can't tell why you are trying to make things more complicated than that. It seems clear that you were not one of the people affected by patch 2.5.2 in a negative way. Why you would take them time to make a post saying "GGG shouldn't try to help people", that I just don't understand.

It would add complexity to the source code, make future content updates harder due to having to maintain more code than they otherwise would need to, takes time, effort and resources away from other tasks. Why do all that to offer a work around to a current issue, when the affected people already have perfectly valid work arounds available to them (DirectX 9 and 9 Ex)?

Your assumption that people have "perfectly valid work arounds" is incorrect. I edited my previous post to help clarify this, but Directx9 has massive frame drops for me during breaches and other heavy activity. I also seem to be getting random crashes with Directx9.
"
"
Thesseract wrote:

The issue has arisen, it seems mainly for the Windows 7 user base, with the introduction of DX11. From what's been said, in various places, the code was primarily added in support of Xbox but also benefits Windows 8 and 10. Unfortunately, Windows 7 being at a lower DX feature level than Windows 8, Windows 10 and Xbox, means some of the additions won't work correctly, if at all, hence the problems.

In an ideal world, I'm sure GGG would like everyone migrate to Windows 10/Xbox but there are likely a great many users that can't or won't 'upgrade' from Windows 7.

As far as DX9/ex is concerned, they're awful. On my system the game becomes completely unplayable and I'm not alone in this, so unless this is also fixed, they're not an option.

A an aside, your arguement regarding code complexity is complete nonsense. GGG have been doing nothing but adding complexity for a long while. Moreover, they now have two separate platforms to support. (Possibly even three id they offer PS4)

I'd also like to point out that GGG are no longer a small Indi-company, they have close on 100 employees and don't forget, they employed a dedicated team for the Xbox.

Dear GGG,

do you even have quality assurance?

I can't play with dx9ex,dx9 and dx11... It was good for me with dx9ex up until this 2.5.2 crap hit the fan. Now it's just a FPS drop fest. As soon as some monster spawn and some effects are going on the frame rate drops to like 2-3 fps. Last night i died cause of frost beares where my FPS dropped to like 2-3 FPS and was lagging like your servers where connected via carrier pigeon.

This is just not funny anymore.

I'm angry and i need to eat a snickers i guess.

Cheers,
"
Kellog wrote:

The issue has arisen, it seems mainly for the Windows 7 user base, with the introduction of DX11.

If you look here: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/5q78tp/patch_notes_252c/?sort=new

As well as reading the posts in this thread, you will see that it people on Windows 10 as well, and now it is affecting DX 9 as well as DX 11 for some people. Clearly this is something that is wrong with this patch as I was fine before on DX 9, even if DX 11 has always been worse.

I myself am on Windows 10 with a DX 12 compatible GFX card and CPU.

Last edited by Bhaladas on Jan 27, 2017, 6:20:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info