Is the new Solo Self Found option setup to fail?

"
mrpetrov wrote:
I am concerned that this implementation of a self found option is being setup to fail, and thereby the concept of "self found" will be relegated to the annals of "tried it, didn't work, won't try again" by GGG.

I have three major concerns:

1. It forces you to play solo. Why not implement a party-based self-found option? People who like self found play also like to play in parties, the two are not conceptually mutually exclusive.

2. There is no change in any drop rates - not even orbs of regret. As Chris points out, PoE is designed around being able to trade, so it is ostensibly not designed around self found play. Why not at least make orbs of regret much cheaper to buy from vendors so that, on the odd chance you do find a build enabling unique, the opportunity cost of respeccing is lower?

3. There is no ladder or way of comparing progress to others. Just because you like self found doesn't mean you don't like competition. Again, the two (competitive spirit and self found preference) are not mutually exclusive.

These points, which *could* have been addressed by GGG in an optional self found league/tag/ladder, have not been addressed. As a result, I believe this optional Solo Self Found tag will be a miserable failure, causing GGG to throw away the concept for at least another...4 years.

P.

1. I think GGG have devised the leagues as a response to the homebake SSF leagues streamers have been putting up for the last couple of seasons. Keep in mind you also have the option to not play "SSF" while still being self-found.

2. I think a change in drop rates in a game mode would be a disaster, in particular since you can opt out of SSF at any time.

3. I agree they need leaderboards or such.

Personally I am pretty happy with this new optional mode and will probably start next league with it.
Last edited by ladish on Jan 23, 2017, 8:27:22 PM
"
Timewar9 wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
Timewar9 wrote:
My problem with this is: chaos orbs and Zana mobs.

It's going to be hell doing some challenges when you can't sell stuff.

two words: chaos recipe.

You think I haven't been doing that? I can't keep up with the costs. Amulets don't grow on trees.

And if you think the amulet recipe isn't hell, you are wrong.

Yeah, picking up a >= ilvl60 white amulet and craft it with any low level essence is very difficult.
They might have to contact all the streamer and community members that left the game as GGG watched the racing community die.

But... oh well...
I don't think it's certain failure.
In my opinion it is just what SSF should be - you're playing alone and you can't trade for stuff.
Buffing or somehow weighing the loot would defy what Chris stated in his post (feels more rewarding), because, well, you'd probably quite soon miss the buzz of "oh, something potentially great I've been waiting for has dropped". At least for me that is the case.

Perhaps we'll see an SF (not SSF) option in the future, because I also agree that not trading does not necessarily have to mean not playing in a party.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
I disagree. The point of the league is seeing how strong you can get on your own, without using trades or party play. What you suggest is just regular league, but no poe.trade. A bit too small of a distinction to warrant an entirely new league.

The issue of regrets and full char respecs are also part of the challenge. Builds will have to work within the limits of found regrets and quest points, which are enough to make life -> CI -> Low life transition in most cases.

I wouldn't be too dissuaded. SSF rules allow for multiple characters, so having the traditional hc setup of a boss killer (usually bv or ED), and a high tier mapping char(most build flexibility) is allowed within the rules. Didn't have the time this league to reach all my goals, but I did find enough gear to make LL summoner and a vaal sparker. Learned a ton in the process and look forward to the new league and see how much farther I can go.

Naturally, progression is slower, but after your first character over 85 SSF feels much like regular league. What I loved about it is it pushes you to learn so much more about the game since you don't have access to endless streams of ex from trade. Most essences suddenly become a valuable resource and uniques you never bothered picking up suddenly have a purpose.
"
I feel that it would have been more successful 3+ years ago when the game was more suited to it.

3+ yrs ago is when I started playing (Domination) and I assure you, PoE is better suited now for SSF than back then, just think: masters, gem vendors, Div card - even with their low drop rates...-,essences all help SSF playstyle ( and also regular playstyle ofc). The only thing I can think of that was better for SSF back then was map drops - not the droprates, but the (lack of)Atlas restrictions.

To OP
1) Agreed, SF and team play are not mutually exclusive, but GGG is just providing a ladder to SSF players, basically that's all...
2) Don't agree, regrets are fine imho, respec should not be easier, if you really find that great build-enebling unique but can't respec, you have the option to make another char
3) there will be a ladder
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
Last edited by Wazz72 on Jan 24, 2017, 3:46:55 AM
"
Timewar9 wrote:
You think I haven't been doing that? I can't keep up with the costs. Amulets don't grow on trees.

Not a problem anymore with essences. When farming endgame, T1-T3 essences all go into jewellery creation for chaos/regal recipe. Chaos is actually really easy to create now. The only orb that is really lacking is regal during levelling phase.

Not sure if GGG is setting this up to be a trap. I'd say no. If you look at the manifesto thread, it's full of "thumbs up" posts (many multiple supporters in there), who like or already play as SSF. I bet GGG saw the statistics and decided to throw (us) a bone. Or it's entirely due to the plans they have for Xbox version.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jan 24, 2017, 4:50:55 AM
"
mrpetrov wrote:
1. It forces you to play solo. Why not implement a party-based self-found option? People who like self found play also like to play in parties, the two are not conceptually mutually exclusive.

2. There is no change in any drop rates - not even orbs of regret. As Chris points out, PoE is designed around being able to trade, so it is ostensibly not designed around self found play. Why not at least make orbs of regret much cheaper to buy from vendors so that, on the odd chance you do find a build enabling unique, the opportunity cost of respeccing is lower?

3. There is no ladder or way of comparing progress to others. Just because you like self found doesn't mean you don't like competition. Again, the two (competitive spirit and self found preference) are not mutually exclusive.

That's a big part of the draw; Solo Self-found.
Literally the first word.

Allowing party play also has the option of getting a higher-levelled, better equipped or better built friend to come by to clear a difficult boss for you.

Solo, self-Found isn't in a league of its own. It's an option during character creation which also includes the option of dropping out later on and becoming able to trade, so increased drops aren't a reasonable option.

Sorry for the wait, just had to double-check the announcement myself, before I double-wrecked myself.
"
Chris wrote:
The leagues have ladders that track the highest level you got to before moving the character back to regular leagues.

Development Manifesto, third paragraph in the "Implementation Plan" a little more than half-way down the post.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
Last edited by crystalwitch on Jan 24, 2017, 4:55:51 AM
Now Solo Self Found players wants to party. I guess GGG will start to be mad very soon.
IGN TylordRampage
The mode has to be solo, to prevent all the cheese: buying boss kills, Lab carry, etc.. (you can buy this stuff by trading in parent league). This will be the first true competitive and fair ladder, without shortcuts, "cheating" and cheating.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jan 24, 2017, 4:58:56 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info