Additional Performance Improvements

"
wooli wrote:
How do we tell if we are CPU constrained or GPU constrained?

this is a nice question, that wold be nice to ear an answer for
"
mrcello wrote:
"
wooli wrote:

This is easier than you might think...

Just play the game and monitor (or log) your CPU usage. That's easily done in the Task Manager of Windows under performance, or use the Resource Monitor.

As for the GPU, that will generally take third-party software. If you run an NVIDIA GPU, you could use the NVIDIA System Monitor app. And for AMD you could use the similarly named app. Alternatively, GPU Shark is worthwhile.

Then you can compare your CPU to GPU usage and see if either one is limiting your performance first (ie: creating a bottleneck).
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
mrcello wrote:
"
wooli wrote:

This is easier than you might think...

Just play the game and monitor (or log) your CPU usage. That's easily done in the Task Manager of Windows under performance, or use the Resource Monitor.

As for the GPU, that will generally take third-party software. If you run an NVIDIA GPU, you could use the NVIDIA System Monitor app. And for AMD you could use the similarly named app. Alternatively, GPU Shark is worthwhile.

Then you can compare your CPU to GPU usage and see if either one is limiting your performance first (ie: creating a bottleneck).

i have nvidia gpu, and i see the resourse monitor, but i cant translate the numbers and graphs i see.
shortly, the gpu is always at 100% use, the cpu is somewhat up and down.

If you're using Intel HD Graphics 3000 or lower you're definitely GPU constrained. In fact you might as well pretend directx11 doesn't exist. After doing a bit of reading, I found that the highest version of Directx it supports well is 10.2. Directx11 has some hardware requirements so while it can be installed as software, it only'll really work well if your graphics card supports it.
Last edited by Slicer9875 on Jan 17, 2017, 11:39:27 AM
"
...We plan to release them next week in a minor update called 2.5.2....

????
When is this thing released? I'm CPU bound quite a bit and was really looking forward to this update. The previous performance updates always made the game run a big chunk better for me ....
So any update on this?
Nope, not CPU bound. I'm crappy game engine bound.
So still waiting on being able to play in a party without massive FPS drops...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info