Developer Interview - Rian - Gameplay Programmer

awesome honest interview, got to love this company.
Last edited by Muliebrity on Dec 12, 2016, 5:46:51 AM
"
Perq wrote:
"
Sometimes we catch design issues early on, and sometimes I'll make Blade Vortex while our Senior Gameplay Programmer is on Christmas holiday - a decision that has haunted me ever since.

Daaaamnnnyooooouuuuuu!! :D

You single-handedly made the last league's meta - this is some kind of achievement, mind you. :P

Great read and I love your "less is more" motto - I'm also trying to stick to it when I'm creating stuff in my work. :-)
Had a certain quote of Antoine de Saint Exupéry on my desktop as a wallpaper for the longest time. :D

Less Blade Skills with enorm DMG is more buildvariety.
Tortured, yet, i'm broken.
GGG, thanks for sharing! I appreciate the interview. :-)
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Talking about gameplay development

Here's my letter to Rory, unanswered obviously

"
Hi Rory, always been a fan of your flowy hair!

Good, now that ive been nice to you, you have no choice but to answer me :)

Just before Breach starts, ive ask to some devs how Dom blow mechanic worked with breach mobs, Qual told me that the "convertion" effect was "disable". From that, i got 2 questions.

1)More hatred toward that skill than Feminists toward Donald trump
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Why do you hate that skill so much? all we see as tweaks on it, for almost 2 years, are nerfs.

- 2.0: Dominating Blow: Minions deal 20% less damage at level 1, with the penalty reduced at each gem level. Each level grant 2% more minion damage, for 20% more damage at level 20.

- 2.1: Minions created by it now deal 35% less damage at all levels.

From 20%more( level 20) to -35%(all levels) thats somewhere like 50%less damage nerf! and not only that, it removed a part of the incentive to level them gem not having the damage scale per lvl.

And having its mechanic denied to endgame bosses and recent contents:

- Atziri

- shaper

- Izaro

All fights with non-Dominatable adds monsters or they die once add-phase is over.

Beyond and perandus monsters couldn't be dominated and now breach monsters cannot be dominated either...

Every time this happens it's not "minions deal 35% less damage" it's in fact "minions deal 100% less damage and have 100%less life" since they are never generated

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.1)Short term fix:

Since Domblow is disabled on Breach monsters, have you considered granting a damage bonus to Dom blow minions on breach monsters or a reduced damage taken since the user cannot refresh its minions on these breach monsters?

2.2) The final cure:
If your hatred of Domblow is rooted in the fact that it generates a lot of stress on the servers, what if, instead of converting Monsters into minions, Dominating blow was Converting 1 monster of each kind and that monster feeds from the monsters you dominate. Lets call that monster/minion, a **Prime**.

ie: Kill an Avian retch, all the next Avian Retch you Dominate will be absorbed by this Prime Avian Retch . So instead of having 10 distinct Avian retch, you now have 1 Avian retch with the power of 10.

So lets say we have the Prime that does 1-10 damage and has 200 hp, then he absorbs a monster with 1-8dmg/100hp and a rare with 10-20dmg/300hp/extra life(dunno real % but lets say 30%)/Increased physical damage aura.

Then this Prime now has stats that goes like:

Damage: 12-38 base

life: 800hp(600*1.3)

mods: extra life (previously added) and Phys aura

then you can have 1 Prime Roah, 1 prime titty bitch,etc

Duration would still be how it works, all the absorbed monsters would be like Buffs on the Prime and buff disapear after a time, like Dom blow minions do.

The more absorbed monster(buffs) it has, the bigger it gets. This would just take the Souleater+Headhunter feeling we have with Dom blow and take it to its final and perfect form, a complete and polished skill.

this could fix Bloodline issues and the lag Dominating blow generates

Increased monster diversity could be way more interesting with such skill mechanic.

What a truly fear is that you guys would have removed that skill a long time ago if it wasnt such a Signature and Unique mechanic skill. What i fear is that you guys gave up on that skill and manage to let it slowly die in the heart and mind of players.

That being said, Sorry for the big text, i've tried to gather all the stuff i had on my heart about that skill for so long.

ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Dec 12, 2016, 9:15:27 AM
Cool. Can't wait for 3.x.x!
As an employee I think Rian should not have to pay for game amenities like MTX and stash tabs! What kind of business perk is that? At least give employees huge discounts* or something!

*Maybe they do. I dunno. This is just what came to mind as I sit here at work not working and thinking of my own benefits :P
Bromate! lol That's awesome. They're compounds though, not elements. Also looks like they give you cancer.
"It also sounds like Rory is keen to turn a bunch of the boss skills into player skills too, so there's that to look forward to."

NICE
Rian, I have died 25 times during the weekend due to the breaches. Can you pls fix the server lag so my gameplay becomes smoother?
Nice!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info