Developer Interview - Rian - Gameplay Programmer

"
Kryshlom wrote:
We find man who blame in many-many breach RIPs! :D
Glad hear what Mr. Drake takes pleasure from work.
AND the creator of last leagues meta...
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
Nice interview.

Now we know who's stuff never gets balance checked before it is put into the game. It's fun stuff, but...

Rian, next time you do something, use one less zero at the end of the numbers you're putting in. Thanks!

Anyways, he is enjoying his work and the flame geysers DO look impressive. Enough for me ;-)
Nice interview.

inb4 "Blade Tenticles" channeling skill from Malachai :P
IGN: MegaSplasz
I could feel the passion he has while reading this.

Speaking of favorite skill, it reminded me of Rory's appearance on Lyoneye's watch when he was saying Flame Surge was his baby. It seems like designers and programmers always get this one piece they worked on that they absolutely love.

By the way, my favorite skills are Flame Surge and your happy little accident Blade Vortex
"
FCK42 wrote:
"
Kryshlom wrote:
We find man who blame in many-many breach RIPs! :D
Glad hear what Mr. Drake takes pleasure from work.
AND the creator of last leagues meta...

"Rian creations always begin and end with buff and nerf. We should count ourselves lucky when we see neither."©
"
t_golgari wrote:

Rian, next time you do something, use one less zero at the end of the numbers you're putting in. Thanks!

Mate, he's a programmer not a game designer; he work's on the mechanics of the skill, not the values.

Good read Rian! Very aspiring.
enjoyed the read, thanks for taking the time go give these insights.

looks like an interesting and challenging job, especcially given ggg's philosophy of just implementing tech that maybe later has interesting interactions with other tech they thought of and just implemented.

you mentioned rory, isn't mark head of gameplay?
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"One of the perks of making skills is that I'm free to implement it however I like, and there are plenty of opportunities for me to share my own ideas or feedback. It really goes a long way to making you feel like you have some sense of ownership over the content you're creating"

and that, ladies and gents, is part of what is wrong with GGG. don't ask yourself why so much crap gets through the "quality control", whether its changes, new skills, new maps, or just whatever else. nobody is there to stop people from having bad ideas and putting them in the game. where's the leadership?

just to name a few examples... remember when they made cavern/terrace even worse than before? or magma orb? or transmute orb prophecy? how the hell did that even get through.
Soooo sweet!Ninty idiots.Fix your fking servers cuz this game it full of lagg.
We deserve what we tolerate!
"(And start small)" – that one had me chuckle. Back when I was studying Game Design, it's what our profs told us as well. You think any of us listened? xD

The interview was fun to read and in some paragraphs I felt like I was nodding every sentence (so programmers too get all excited when someone is using the stuff they made!).
Coding is cool – from far away, if I don't have to do much with it and the most I have to do is write simple if-things I can't remember the name of. Some people simply have code-averse brains. Though trying to learn about it is something I'm glad I did since the logic does help me when working on my project(s).

Also, yay iterative processes! If things only got implemented once they're perfect, we'd never get to play with them. D: Though it's nice when they don't blow up the universe.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info