Here is the upgraded version of The Halcyon!

Following my rant about the non upgraded version I actually posted an idea how to make cold skills viable again and this upgraded version does almost exactly that

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1774471/page/5/#p13921804

So I am pretty glad to see the upgraded version working like that assuming the chill is unconditional.

If this amulet works out without being broken I hope your devs consider implementing this as a core cold skill mechanic though since the amulet shouldnt be mandatory to make cold skills viable ( the amulet could still have a very special place then for non cold skills to get the benefits ).

Great work.

Edit : Oh well the unconditional chill is only being applied when oneself is being hit :( please reconsider in case chill with cold skills gets reworked one day.
When Chuck Norris plays PoE masters do his missions
Last edited by AdFinitum on Dec 1, 2016, 8:48:42 PM
Woo! Blinds for everyone!
This is less "unique" than the unupgraded one.

The "base" version has flat freeze chance, a stat that is in short supply, similar to flat shock chance and flat ignite chance. That is unique, and meaningful to a build.

This is just more damage, in the end. The blind is rather uninmportant unless you're scaling Evasion...and if you aren't, the whole amulet is just adding damage, not anything else.

With the "base", the flat freeze chance, and the freeze duration, you get meaningful, hard to come by stats, AND extra damage that synergizes WITH those stats.

What happened to Uniques being Unique, GGG?

Hell, this is almost a lame Star of Wraeclast. Except Star isn't league-specific, and you don't have to kill a Breachlord to "bless" it.

- Sheepster
"
Nssheepster wrote:
The blind is rather uninmportant unless you're scaling Evasion...and if you aren't, the whole amulet is just adding damage, not anything else.

Blind halves enemies' chance to hit regardless of your evasion.

The only time it won't apply would be if an enemy has Resolute Technique (or a Vagan weapon if it is a player) or you have Unwavering Stance.
Last edited by Nuro on Dec 1, 2016, 11:05:09 PM
"
Nuro wrote:
"
Nssheepster wrote:
The blind is rather uninmportant unless you're scaling Evasion...and if you aren't, the whole amulet is just adding damage, not anything else.

Blind halves enemies' chance to hit regardless of your evasion.

The only time it won't apply would be if an enemy has Resolute Technique (or a Vagan weapon if it is a player) or you have Unwavering Stance.

I realize this.

I also realize there's a reason the Blind gem is unused.

The only commonly used source of blind is Stibnite Flasks...Which ALSO up your evasion.

Blind SOUNDS strong, but in practice, if you have only base evasion, it's not all that great.

Also, you forgot Iron Reflexes, and the Ezomyte helm. XD

- Sheepster
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
D3izhistory wrote:
the 60% damage against recently chilled on the nonupgraded one prob does more damage if you are using a cold penetration gem ..... kind of a balancing act i guess but allows for more than 1 build option

still iso a cold skill that doesnt suck massively tho

Considering vortex is best used as a burn converter there really are not any good cold spells meant to actually chill or freeze.

Totaly wrong!

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Arctic_Armour has just two purposes: x% damage reduction when hit + lay a trail of chill

And I saw Cast on Damage Taken + GMP + Arctic Breath used last league quite often again with CoDt @level 1 just for the chill component of Arctic Breath trail.

Both work prefectly fine against ALL bosses! Even Shaper and Ubar Izaro.

So this amulet has 24% increased + 20% MORE cold damage just by walking around with Arctic Armour and CoDt+GMP+Arctic Breath.

Vor sure a decent damage buff for cold builds.
Last edited by Schakar on Dec 1, 2016, 11:41:56 PM
"
Nssheepster wrote:
Blind SOUNDS strong, but in practice, if you have only base evasion, it's not all that great.

My point is that no matter what your evasion the amount of damage you're negating via blind is the same. It's not less effective with base evasion.
"
Nuro wrote:
"
Nssheepster wrote:

My point is that no matter what your evasion the amount of damage you're negating via blind is the same. It's not less effective with base evasion.

Blind is MORE effective with zero evasion. It effectively acts as 50% free block.

Casters having a non clunky way to apply blind is a very strong defensive mechanic. The only issue is that guardians are immune to chill and status immune ailment maps are a thing.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Last edited by Nephalim on Dec 2, 2016, 12:40:57 AM
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Nuro wrote:
"
Nssheepster wrote:

Blind is MORE effective with zero evasion. It effectively acts as 50% free block.

Casters having a non clunky way to apply blind is a very strong defensive mechanic. The only issue is that guardians are immune to chill and status immune ailment maps are a thing.

Well... I wouldn't go that far. It acts the same way when you have high evasion, effectively avoiding 50% of the attacks that would have gotten through otherwise. Blind is usually as effective at nearly all evasion chances, effectively doubling your ehp vs (evadable) attacks.

It's just easier to notice it when you've got a low chance to evade because when your evade is low and something does miss you know to attribute it to the blind, while if you're high evasion you don't necessarily know if your own evasion chance naturally would have caused the miss or if the blind was needed.

(I say 'nearly' all evasion chances because hit chance has a minimum of 5%; if your chance to evade would be 90+% without blind, blind isn't quite going to double your ehp vs attacks. And I say 'usually as effective' because 'more/less chance to evade' modifies your evasion chance AFTER blind is taken into to account, so actually with those more modifiers a high chance to evade makes blind even better)
Last edited by Shppy on Dec 2, 2016, 12:53:50 AM
OK I have to correct my former statement as I never noticed the chill-imunitys of Guardians + Shaper (he don't move anyway).

@GGG for balance reason might it be posible to change the CHILL IMUN to 90% LESS CHILL EFFECTIVNES ?
For all bosses please.

Same for SHOCK IMUN > 90% LESS SHOCK EFFECTIVENES ?

This would buff http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Hypothermia_Support too.
Last edited by Schakar on Dec 2, 2016, 2:38:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info