@GGG - Could someone explain why Mjolner is having its cooldown increased? [new 2.6 changes :P]

Game engine in this game is really crappy, it's lagging like hell. But to improve it they need large investments (for buying new servers also), so it's easy to rip some 'performance' skills and user exp
"
Mordad wrote:
Ok so they just destroyed the item because of performance concerns?
And than no time to fix this or to re design the item? Really???

And than Chris talks about bad decisions regarding CoC changes... lmao.

Well i guess div./ess. tab was my last support for a long time.

Servers are collapsing, even warchief totem builds are getting instance crashes atm.

They have to regroup and try to fix the whole game. Servers + Performance + Balance.

It's gonna be hard.
"
For Discharge specifically, we'd most like to see its primary use as a self-cast skill. We likely won't make any changes in this direction until 3.0.0.

Why not do what you guys do for all other skills, design a skill around self casting or design a specific skill around being proc'd.

These uniques, cospris, volls, mjolner, rely on discharge in order to be powerful, without discharge in a good state or the uniques having lower cooldowns, the builds are far weaker and uniques are far less valuable.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"
For Discharge specifically, we'd most like to see its primary use as a self-cast skill. We likely won't make any changes in this direction until 3.0.0.

Why not do what you guys do for all other skills, design a skill around self casting or design a specific skill around being proc'd.

These uniques, cospris, volls, mjolner, rely on discharge in order to be powerful, without discharge in a good state or the uniques having lower cooldowns, the builds are far weaker and uniques are far less valuable.

Making discharge only self cast would be a huge disappointment and another step in the wrong direction imo. There's a reason why there aren't any discharge self cast builds.
Last edited by jeke777 on Dec 13, 2016, 11:19:52 AM
"
jeke777 wrote:

Making discharge only self cast would be a huge disappointment and another step in the wrong direction imo. There's a reason why there aren't any discharge self cast builds.

I agree, by making changes to the skill that would make it more and more favored to be self cast, its likely a nerf to these proc chance items further and further.

Now I dont know the math around how much each discharge cost them, but if they are considering nerfing it so that various mid to high tier uniques are made essentially useless in the process that isn't exactly good game design is it?

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
"
jeke777 wrote:

I agree, by making changes to the skill that would make it more and more favored to be self cast, its likely a nerf to these proc chance items further and further.

Now I dont know the math around how much each discharge cost them, but if they are considering nerfing it so that various mid to high tier uniques are made essentially useless in the process that isn't exactly good game design is it?

Sadly it's just proof to me the balance team seems really out of touch of their own game if they want to force people to play self cast discharge.
"
goetzjam wrote:
"

100% agreed. Mjolner/Cospris = Discharge. It's the only thing that gives a relative amount of power that allows you to efficiently clear the current level of game content. If you remove discharge as a trigger gem, cospris and mjolner will have to get a SIGNIFICANT buff in orer to stay competitive. If not, these uniques will be in a graveyard with the other 80% of uniques in this game that are fed to prophecies.

Unrelated to Goet's comment:

I honestly rather have a .5 cooldown on discharge than it completely be removed. This build has been part of POE for a really long time. It would be awful to see it completely thrown out. Versions of coc discharge have already been destroyed making it a more expensive build to even make. With builds such as Fakener effectively being useless (no volls devotion), it only leaves a smaller group that can even afford to make an effective discharge build with the mentioned weapons.

Seeing these words from Qarl breaks my heart a little. Completely removing the trigger to discharge i think is the wrong answer.
"
Qarl wrote:
The cooldown changes were primarily driven by performance concerns. The change intended was vs the rate of hitting. It was not aimed at Discharge.

We realise these uniques are not in the right place after these changes were made. The balance team (a combination of specific designers and QA) was under a reasonable pressure to pick a right answer for 2.5.0 in a short period of time. (For those looking to blame someone, feel free to assign it to me for putting undue time constraints on the balance team.)

From here, we may make changes to these uniques in upcoming leagues, or changes related to the mechanics around them. I am not sure exactly when this will occur but it's likely to be in the first half of 2017.

However, rebalancing every unique that is associated with a specific build is not something we want to do every three months. While we do make sufficient assessments ahead of time, we can't fully assess what a league's meta-game will look like. (And if we could it would likely mean we haven't made the game interesting enough.) Some item-centric builds will wax and wane with other changes. In some cases we may make the wrong call on changes to specific items.

We will not be making any changes to these cooldowns or related values within Breach league.

Thanks for the explanation! Hope to be able to play again after Breach League ends and the item is (hopefully) retuned up a bit.

Personally, I'd love to see discharge have its elemental tags removed so that its not a functional trigger skill, and then the design space would open up for decent single target lightning skills to be made (all current single target skills are a bit gimmicky).
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Dec 13, 2016, 1:52:29 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:

Personally, I'd love to see discharge have its elemental tags removed so that its not a functional trigger skill, and then the design space would open up for decent single target lightning skills to be made (all current single target skills are a bit gimmicky).

Yeah its best to actually have something else in place before you start removing interactions that have been possible for years.

FeelsBadMan

"
Qarl wrote:
The cooldown changes were primarily driven by performance concerns. The change intended was vs the rate of hitting. It was not aimed at Discharge.

We realise these uniques are not in the right place after these changes were made. The balance team (a combination of specific designers and QA) was under a reasonable pressure to pick a right answer for 2.5.0 in a short period of time. (For those looking to blame someone, feel free to assign it to me for putting undue time constraints on the balance team.)

From here, we may make changes to these uniques in upcoming leagues, or changes related to the mechanics around them. I am not sure exactly when this will occur but it's likely to be in the first half of 2017.

However, rebalancing every unique that is associated with a specific build is not something we want to do every three months. While we do make sufficient assessments ahead of time, we can't fully assess what a league's meta-game will look like. (And if we could it would likely mean we haven't made the game interesting enough.) Some item-centric builds will wax and wane with other changes. In some cases we may make the wrong call on changes to specific items.

We will not be making any changes to these cooldowns or related values within Breach league.

I appreciate your answer a lot. But keep in mind for those balance changes that discharge is the only viable skill for proc items like mjolner and requires already big investment while being medicore at best in endgame. Another aspect is there are no lightning spell options which arent getting shit all over their face by fire/ignite/poison.

About the reason behind the last minute hotfix nerf (this is how it sounds) im a bit disappointed. As i think stuff like bladeflurry/vaal pact damage and leech calculations in combination with breaches are the big impact on performance compared to those 20 people that played mjölner in 2.4.

>For the record when trying out patch 2.5 (random build, not mjölner) i had terrible performance and multiple disconnect rips on a day.

A disconnect rip is when the screen freezes with lockstep mode (no error or exception) and then im getting disconnected. When i connect again i see that i have 10% less xp. Also when i logout instantly or press alt +f4 when i see the game freeze again i still die/lose 10% xp after reconnecting.

Soooo i'm inclined to assume that mjölner wasnt responsibloe for any performance issues or game crashes as i had zero problems performancewise with it in 2.4. In fact 2.4 was the patch with the best performance this game had. 2.5 clearly made the performance worse.
Last edited by zzang on Dec 13, 2016, 2:44:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info