@GGG - Could someone explain why Mjolner is having its cooldown increased? [new 2.6 changes :P]

evening bump
check out my hideout templates at https://hideoutshowcase.com/viewprofile/Noooberino/uploads
Soluions:

- remove cd* and make 50% spell chance
- make able to use multiple spells**
- More spell damage or more elem damage***
- reply to people on forum. GGG, is anybody there???
Last edited by lord_toshin3 on Dec 11, 2016, 2:16:42 PM
i wonder if making it more global lightning dmg would work, could be an interesting hybrid spell attack solution.
"
Fhark wrote:
i wonder if making it more global lightning dmg would work, could be an interesting hybrid spell attack solution.

It should probably be just for the socketed gems, otherwise people might just use it as a stat stick for lightning blade flurry or something, if it was that solution.

I'm hoping to get some kind of design intent statement before we talk about how the item can be 'fixed'.

@poedeadmengele

2.4 state of Mjolner was fine (as in workable, usable, and not broken, from a balance perspective. The item was balanced in 2.4, IMO). If we go back to that earlier state the item will most certainly be extremely overpowered. It seems like you're rooting for a version much more like release of the item.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Bump
Censored.
The cooldown changes were primarily driven by performance concerns. The change intended was vs the rate of hitting. It was not aimed at Discharge.

We realise these uniques are not in the right place after these changes were made. The balance team (a combination of specific designers and QA) was under a reasonable pressure to pick a right answer for 2.5.0 in a short period of time. (For those looking to blame someone, feel free to assign it to me for putting undue time constraints on the balance team.)

From here, we may make changes to these uniques in upcoming leagues, or changes related to the mechanics around them. I am not sure exactly when this will occur but it's likely to be in the first half of 2017.

However, rebalancing every unique that is associated with a specific build is not something we want to do every three months. While we do make sufficient assessments ahead of time, we can't fully assess what a league's meta-game will look like. (And if we could it would likely mean we haven't made the game interesting enough.) Some item-centric builds will wax and wane with other changes. In some cases we may make the wrong call on changes to specific items.

We will not be making any changes to these cooldowns or related values within Breach league.

For Discharge specifically, we'd most like to see its primary use as a self-cast skill. We likely won't make any changes in this direction until 3.0.0.

"
Qarl wrote:
For Discharge specifically, we'd most like to see its primary use as a self-cast skill. We likely won't make any changes in this direction until 3.0.0.

I won't say anything about mjolner, cuz personally i don't mind it much atm (still feels fine for clearing, though it's not great for bosses... that's what other skills or weapon sets are for).

However, about discharge being oriented around self-cast... a good start would be to make the cast time and manacost remotely usable. The skill's got a longer cast time and higher manacost than pretty much any other spell in addition to it requiring charges; it's like it was intentionally balanced to PUNISH self-cast as it is now.
Last edited by Shppy on Dec 12, 2016, 7:22:11 PM
"The cooldown changes were primarily driven by performance concerns. The change intended was vs the rate of hitting. It was not aimed at Discharge."

"
SupaMF wrote:
Instance crashes, just like SRS and wormblaster.

The balance is based on instance crashes and game bugs. Not about the damage they deal.

Just check how awesome is wormblaster clearspeed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2BsOIMWDWE almost 10 minutes to run a map that the meta can run in 3/4 minutes.

Let's not even talk about mjolner, it takes like 3/4 minutes to kill the boss only.

Next league we will have BV and BF as meta. Doing 50x mjolner discharge damage, but who cares. :P

Just like I said.

Good luck waiting for the fix guys. :P
Last edited by SupaMF on Dec 12, 2016, 8:16:14 PM
"
Qarl wrote:
The cooldown changes were primarily driven by performance concerns. The change intended was vs the rate of hitting. It was not aimed at Discharge.

We realise these uniques are not in the right place after these changes were made. The balance team (a combination of specific designers and QA) was under a reasonable pressure to pick a right answer for 2.5.0 in a short period of time. (For those looking to blame someone, feel free to assign it to me for putting undue time constraints on the balance team.)

From here, we may make changes to these uniques in upcoming leagues, or changes related to the mechanics around them. I am not sure exactly when this will occur but it's likely to be in the first half of 2017.

However, rebalancing every unique that is associated with a specific build is not something we want to do every three months. While we do make sufficient assessments ahead of time, we can't fully assess what a league's meta-game will look like. (And if we could it would likely mean we haven't made the game interesting enough.) Some item-centric builds will wax and wane with other changes. In some cases we may make the wrong call on changes to specific items.

We will not be making any changes to these cooldowns or related values within Breach league.

myyyy karl
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
"
Qarl wrote:

Thanks for the response Qarl. I'm happy to see that you guys realize Mjolner is not in a good place after these changes.

Looking forwards to seeing the rework and planning something around it, if that is indeed the case.

If you guys really don't want discharge to be the target skill of Mjolner, there needs to be more impactful lightning skills.

Looking at the current meta, it's pretty plain to see that fire and physical/chaos casters rule the day. And the ones that are using Cold or Lightning spells for the most part are just converting them to fire.

Hopefully we can see some high base cast time high damage lighting skill come out in the future that will give Mjolner a use again.

Thanks again for the response Qarl.

-Savage
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info