Blight

Because of what I stated above, I don't think the loss of delirium will hurt essence drain that badly. In the end it comes down to losing a lengthy poison that didn't stack anyway. Decay is great when you are undergeared but tapers off at the higher levels of essence drain play. It is also great for speed clearing maps with something like blade vortex to apply it....
Oh and chimera/hydra being immune without decay to lean on would be.....painful.

Either way we can live without decay. I'm more worried about essence drain getting side swiped by further changes to poison and double dipping. That's why I want blight to succeed. But in it's current form it is just a badly designed skill.

It has no benefit to channeling it, unlike searing ray and blade fury. In fact I'm not even sure why it is classified as channeling to begin with. Each dot it applies is completely independent of the others, and has no affect or synergy with other each application.

Having new stacks refresh the duration of all applications would go a LONG way for this skill, but I still think it would be boring.

My solution is simple: Combine Blight with Wither

Wither already is a strange skill that basically doesn't get any notable benefits form leveling the skill up. It also is absolutely abysmal to self-cast.

Giving Blight the chaos damage taken increasing debuff would not only alleviate it's low damage problem as a main skill, it would give an actually benefit to self-casting the skill (damage) while also rewarding players for keeping the stack count high.
"
Gravethought wrote:
Because of what I stated above, I don't think the loss of delirium will hurt essence drain that badly. In the end it comes down to losing a lengthy poison that didn't stack anyway. Decay is great when you are undergeared but tapers off at the higher levels of essence drain play. It is also great for speed clearing maps with something like blade vortex to apply it....
Oh and chimera/hydra being immune without decay to lean on would be.....painful.

Either way we can live without decay. I'm more worried about essence drain getting side swiped by further changes to poison and double dipping. That's why I want blight to succeed. But in it's current form it is just a badly designed skill.

It has no benefit to channeling it, unlike searing ray and blade fury. In fact I'm not even sure why it is classified as channeling to begin with. Each dot it applies is completely independent of the others, and has no affect or synergy with other each application.

Having new stacks refresh the duration of all applications would go a LONG way for this skill, but I still think it would be boring.

My solution is simple: Combine Blight with Wither

Wither already is a strange skill that basically doesn't get any notable benefits form leveling the skill up. It also is absolutely abysmal to self-cast.

Giving Blight the chaos damage taken increasing debuff would not only alleviate it's low damage problem as a main skill, it would give an actually benefit to self-casting the skill (damage) while also rewarding players for keeping the stack count high.

My point being that Decay was a valuable boost to ED. Without it, ED is somewhat less viable. It's already not nearly as good as several other end-game skills - the loss of decay makes it even less competitive.

Now that Decay is unavailable, ED needs some boost to make it a bit better so that it can at least be somewhat competitive with AW/Blade Vortext/Blade Flurry/poison-applying high DPS builds for endgame content. Otherwise, no one will play this build save those who really like the playstyle and are willing to sacrifice quite a bit for that playstyle.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2016, 3:15:07 PM
"
Gravethought wrote:
"
Iyacthu wrote:

Poison adds less than 3% ED's base DoT damage per stack on average, which means you need more than 30 casts to double its damage (impossible with a 2 second poison base duration).
With 100% increased cast speed (quite a lot for a ED/Contagion build), you're looking at less than 3 casts per second. With 100% increased skill effect duration (unlikely, once again), that's 12 casts over 4 seconds, being a 36% More modifier, at the very best. On average, that's rather a measly 10/15% modifier.

You are obviously misinformed how poison actually works. Look up what double dipping means. Once the base poison damage is calculated from the initial hit, it will then get boosted by the same modifiers as the source did.

For example, my ED on my low life deals around 9k average direct damage tooltip (I will ignore wither/void beacon etc for simplicity).

Poison is 8% of that per second as chaos damage or 720 base chaos damage per second. My essence drain dot deals 898 base chaos damage per second. That means each poison stack deals 80% of the damage per second the essence drain dot itself is doing, since the base dot and base poison will scale from the same modifiers.

Now if I factor in void beacon and wither, that initial hit will be much higher, to the point where the poison from my essence drain easily out-scales the dot from the skill itself.

I'm well aware of that. Double dipping is kinda the bane of balancing for more than 1 year but it shouldn't stay forever.
Still, that's on best case scenario (Wither + Void Beacon) a stackable 2500 DoT from ED (+800 from skill itself) where you'll have 6500 from Blight under same conditions. Once insane double dipping disappear, Blight will do what it's supposed to do.

Blight + Controlled Destruction + Void Manipulation + Concentrated Effect (single target) + Empower + Rapid Decay vs Essence Drain + Controlled Destruction + Rapid Decay + Poison + Void Manipulation + Slower Projectiles (i guess ?)
First setup is a 60% More modifier compared to the second one (assuming 30% More damage for Empower)
so numbers would be 2500/stack (+800) for ED compared to 10K or so for Blight.

Tl ; dr : Blight isn't THAT weak. Double dipping to insane numbers is too strong.
"
Iyacthu wrote:

Tl ; dr : Blight isn't THAT weak. Double dipping to insane numbers is too strong.

Hugh?

A channeled skill that has low DPS and requires you to stay in place and has low AOE.

Which is far weaker than Freezing Pulse/Ligtning Tendrals etc. for single target.

And because of the really bad range is unsuitalbe for fast clear speed.

Uh... maybe some skills are weaker than Blight. Those skills are never, ever played by knowledeable POE players save those that are married to the skill.

Blight too is in that category - manifestly much weaker than numerous other skills - if not changed, will only be played by those who don't know about other skills or those who for some reason just love Blight and are willing to play with a 3rd-rate skill.

TL/DR - Yes, Blight is THAT weak - moreover, Blight is far weaker than you might have imagined.

So just what purpose/role does Blight serve that makes it "not that weak"?
1) Leveling - much better alternatives exist;
2) AOE - short range makes this skill useless for AOE;
3) Single target - damage is lack-luster; and you must stay in place to stack "levels" and cannot leech; if boosted by a bunch of cast speed in a 6-link maybe becomes 2nd-rate, but what do you do for clear speed then? Moreover, ED/Contagion/Wither would be better at both single target/and clear speed. So why use this skill at all?;
4) Supplement to ED/Contagion/Wither - links are at a premium due to the 3 required multi-link skills mentioned; Blight does not offer enough DPS boost to displace Auras/CWDT/Utility links.

In all - Blight is simply worthless.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2016, 3:43:25 PM
"
hankinsohl wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
did some speed runs like i was racing for Act 1 to test the damage as other posters were suggesting the damage was pretty decent for leveling.

normal race route with blight and contagion once unlocked took 26 minutes hitting 11 just before merveil, only good rng was a speed shrine in ledge finished with 2 white wands and a white hat nothing else.

Same route/method with fire trap/freezing pulse took 21 minutes, good RNG on champions but same gear, also finished at 11. Didn't use +1 cold gem recipe for a wand which i would have if running properly which would have saved a minute between warden/merveil but pretty comparable.

Both characters only took damage nodes from their start position, both shadows.

Overall I think it held up pretty well, better than i expected actually so I can see why fellow posters here are having a good time leveling with it, my only real comments are much like my initial statement about the gem its damage is probably fine its the usability that needs a buff. I nearly died about 6 times channeling such a short range spell on my race route and its starting AoE is truly atrocious. Its damage however is pretty comparable to other abilities and if I was making tweaks to it right now i probably wouldn't change.

Also people keep claiming that poison will beat this on scaling which is simply not true, Blight in its current form will be a great supplementary ability to the ED DoT in late-game and fully ramped up with wither you can squeeze a respectable 100kdps+ out of it should you want to 6-link it.

So overall just buff usability please, make the AoE halfway between my 2 screenshots on page 1 and make the slow last a little bit extra and i think it'd be perfect.

I completely disagree.

Supposing you're going to play a chaos build.

And supposing that Blight's AOE is improved.

So go ahead and 6-link Blight as you suggest above.

What are your remaining links?

And how is your build at all competitive with Essence Drain + Contagion?

Blight is marginally useful in its current form until level 11 at which time you get Essence Drain. Once there, just vendor your Blight gem. And really... Freezing Pulse or Lightning Tendrils are just as good if not better until level 11.

Essence Drain has far better single target damage and with Contagion is not bad at AOE. Moreover, ED doesn't require that you sit in place to channel. You'll need Wither though, on a totem so that you can move, for good DPS.

So into the above mix (you propose 6-linking Blight for some reason, plus ED - 4-link? plus Contagion plus Wither)... you are nearly out of multi-links and need movement and probably CWDT and auras and utility. Blight simply doesn't fit in - and 6-linking it is a huge mistake since ED is the skill you want to 6-link.

Blight's design is very poor - as an AOE skill, it seems to want to be good at clearing - its extremely short range undoes this potential - ED + Contagion is far better at clearing trash.

Blight applies stacks - as a channeled skill - so it seems to be designed to stack damage - for bosses.

But it's a channeled skill - meaning that you cannot move without hurting your DPS - meaning that it's at a drawback for killing bosses. Coupled with the fact that its range is extremely small, meaning that you'll be in melee range - or nearly so - just to use the skill - means that it's completely unsuitable for boss kills. And since it's channeled - you will definitely need to move frequently to avoid damage - DPS is reduced if not completely crippled. No leech ability means that you'll need to move frequently.

To recap -
1) Unsuitable for clearing trash
2) Unsuitable for primary boss damage
3) Unsuitable for augmenting boss damage as you already need a bunch of links for ED, Contagion,
Wither, movement, auras/curses, utility. There's no room for Blight - and even if there were room, you'd need to stand still within melee range to cast it - boss encounters allow for static stand-still casting at times, yes, but there's simply not enough available sockets to make this skill worthwhile in an already socket-starved chaos build.

I think you've got the wrong idea about my thoughts on blight personally, firstly I'd never run it in isolation (i mentioned the 6 link as a throwout not as something i'd actually recommend), secondly why are you talking like it replaces ED + Contagion, literally its only use currently is to complement those two because spamming ED is extremely inefficient for added damage.

So you aren't comparing blight to ED + Contagion, your comparing (ED + Contagion) to (ED + Contagion + Blight), the 2nd comes out vastly ahead of the first because ED has a substantial duration anyway but is extremely inefficient to spam even with poison, you just cast blight instead of ED anytime you'd be spamming ED to stack poison previously.

The dps increase is big and you also don't have to run consuming dark which is another gain. In its current form though its so short ranged its basically unusable that is why i've been saying it needs a usability increase not a damage increase - my screenshot on the first page summarises the problem my hierophant there can basically cover the screen with a stormcall but he can only scale blight to cover about a third - the cone is too wide and far too short imo.

Its like i said in the first post it has an identity crisis, it was marketed as a chaos leveling skill but its only real use is for added dps on bosses if they are the kind you can stay close to. I'm hoping for some major changes to it before 2.5 tbh
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Nov 19, 2016, 3:44:32 PM
"
Iyacthu wrote:

I'm well aware of that. Double dipping is kinda the bane of balancing for more than 1 year but it shouldn't stay forever.
Still, that's on best case scenario (Wither + Void Beacon) a stackable 2500 DoT from ED (+800 from skill itself) where you'll have 6500 from Blight under same conditions. Once insane double dipping disappear, Blight will do what it's supposed to do.

Blight + Controlled Destruction + Void Manipulation + Concentrated Effect (single target) + Empower + Rapid Decay vs Essence Drain + Controlled Destruction + Rapid Decay + Poison + Void Manipulation + Slower Projectiles (i guess ?)
First setup is a 60% More modifier compared to the second one (assuming 30% More damage for Empower)
so numbers would be 2500/stack (+800) for ED compared to 10K or so for Blight.

Your math is off, you are ignoring modifiers on essence drain and giving blight one too many. Even if we exclude decay, essence drain will go back to getting poison from consuming dark or cospri's will. So you can't just say blight gets empower but essence drain doesn't. Additionally, you can't realistically play blight without a faster casting gem, both in terms of getting to 20 stacks and ease of play.

Also (I guess?) you applied wither and void beacon to get the 2500 base poison damage for essence drain, yet you ignored it for the "800" essence drain dot. And if I'm comparing 20 gems to 20 gems like i should, blight is only going to be 2460 base dmg before void beacon and wither, so more like 6k instead of 10k by your quick math.

As you can see, essence drain obliterates blight, and yes poison is mostly the reason but guess what? Essence drain isn't a very good skill at endgame without poison scaling. Even with poison, essence drain is about as "fair" I can call a viable skill against a boss like shaper.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

I think you've got the wrong idea about my thoughts on blight personally, firstly I'd never run it in isolation (i mentioned the 6 link as a throwout not as something i'd actually recommend), secondly why are you talking like it replaces ED + Contagion, literally its only use currently is to complement those two because spamming ED is extremely inefficient for added damage.

So you aren't comparing blight to ED + Contagion, your comparing (ED + Contagion) to (ED + Contagion + Blight), the 2nd comes out vastly ahead of the first because ED has a substantial duration anyway but is extremely inefficient to spam even with poison, you just cast blight instead of ED anytime you'd be spamming ED to stack poison previously.

The dps increase is big and you also don't have to run consuming dark which is another gain. In its current form though its so short ranged its basically unusable that is why i've been saying it needs a usability increase not a damage increase - my screenshot on the first page summarises the problem my hierophant there can basically cover the screen with a stormcall but he can only scale blight to cover about a third - the cone is too wide and far too short imo.

Its like i said in the first post it has an identity crisis, it was marketed as a chaos leveling skill but its only real use is for added dps on bosses if they are the kind you can stay close to. I'm hoping for some major changes to it before 2.5 tbh

1) It's you that first brought up the possibility of a 6-link Blight for some reason, not me.
2) You propose that this skill somehow is benefitial to an ED/Contagion/Wither build.

So what links to you propose for this?

And given that your ability to actually use this skill is limited, just how much utility do you think that this skill will have - your wither totem will often die - you'll need to replace that; you'll need to move quickly out of range of numerous attacks; sometimes bosses will attack with channeled skills meaning that you can move into place to use Blight. But at what cost? Again, let's see the links for an ED/Contagion/Wither/Blight setup. Whatever you come up with isn't going to be nearly as flexible/good as existing setups.

Moreover, you're competing with poison stacking via ED casting. How much better off are you than that?
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2016, 3:52:36 PM
6K becoming 10K because of the 60% More modifier with Blight setup compared to Essence Drain's one.
Just comparing ratio (800 becoming 2500 for ED base DoT indeed, forgot that, you're right)
Cospri on an Occultist build is really 'meh' imho and i just don't like Consuming Dark because of many wasted stats here. Would save a link though.

Played ED lategame without poison and it lacks damage indeed, but only COMPARED to some stupid combinations (Warchief, Blade Vortex mostly). It is just fine otherwise and the game should be revolved around 100K DPS rather than millions like it is currently. If you compare Blight to top skills, it is obviously SUPER weak. Not because the skill itself is (forgoing its low AoE), but because some others are overtuned. Just like Blade Flurry is for example ...
Blight would be really fine damage wise 2 years ago.
"
Iyacthu wrote:
6K becoming 10K because of the 60% More modifier with Blight setup compared to Essence Drain's one.
Just comparing ratio (800 becoming 2500 for ED base DoT indeed, forgot that, you're right)
Cospri on an Occultist build is really 'meh' imho and i just don't like Consuming Dark because of many wasted stats here. Would save a link though.

Played ED lategame without poison and it lacks damage indeed, but only COMPARED to some stupid combinations (Warchief, Blade Vortex mostly). It is just fine otherwise and the game should be revolved around 100K DPS rather than millions like it is currently. If you compare Blight to top skills, it is obviously SUPER weak. Not because the skill itself is (forgoing its low AoE), but because some others are overtuned. Just like Blade Flurry is for example ...
Blight would be really fine damage wise 2 years ago.

But that's just the point.

It's far worse than the meta skills, worse than non-meta skills, but yeah, you could limp by with this...

Maybe you could kill Guardians with this if you're a very skilled player - killing Uber Atziri/Shaper with this as a primary skill - I doubt it (I haven't seen any Lightning Tendrils self-cast Shaper kills and this skill seems to be worst that LT) - and even if you could, a gazillion other skills are far better.

Finally - have you actually tried this skill out? In the game?

If not, try it out. Please. Then come back here and let us know what you think.
Last edited by hankinsohl on Nov 19, 2016, 4:01:28 PM
I can give you that shaper and guardians have a crapload of health, but that's where we are. Those bosses are the metrics that we have to judge endgame viability by these days.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info