Scorching Ray Skill Gem Mechanics

There's a total of 10 support gems that work with Scorching Ray -

Controlled Destruction, Elemental Focus, Faster Casting, Iron Will, Rapid Decay, Less Duration, Increased Burning Damage, Spell Totem, Empower, Enhance (no idea what the quality bonus is).

Likely the best setup will be -

Scorching Ray + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Faster Casting + Rapid Decay + Empower (if you've got the money)/Increased Burning Damage (cheaper option)/Spell Totem (if you want to go totems). Enhance and Less Duration would likely lose out to any of those three.

Club it with Doon Cuebiyari sceptre and Repentance gloves to get a free uber-Iron Will (Repentance adds free Iron Will + Doon gives its own Iron Will-like effect which can stack on top of that). Note that you'll need a lot of intelligence to wear both of those.

Play a Chieftain (Ngamahu + Ramako + Tawhoa + whatever) Righteous Fire character to add even more damage. Why Chieftain? Cos a bit of extra fire damage plus a ton of extra regen plus endurance charge generation, which is what keeps you alive (and supports Righteous Fire) since this can't leech. Also, extra strength to make your in-built Iron Will even better.

Add in Elemental Equilibrium and Elemental Overload via Orb of Storms or some other skill for even more damage. That leaves the only thing missing being Pain Attunement, which is also technically possible if you've got the money to make a low-life RF character but likely not worth the trouble at this point (you'd have got way more than enough damage already by now).

One additional thing to note is that not only is this skill immune to reflect (so was old Incinerate since the reflected damage was laughable), it's also immune to lightning thorns (which often insta-killed old Incinerate builds) since channeled skills count as just one cast.
Last edited by Exile009 on Nov 8, 2016, 4:19:30 AM
"The more intensely the beam burns, the more it strips away fire resistance, making it great for taking on powerful resistant enemies."

Will this aply to global fire resistance of target? Will other fire damage (not from SR) deal more damage too? For example selfcast RF and SpellTotem+SR.
If yes, or not... Still curious, what about no-damage effect of "firePen" of SR. And again, for example, dual SpellTotem+AnyFireSpell (with Ancestral Bond) and SR selfcast. If my spells can't deal damage, but still "intensely burn" target, will its strips away fire resistance from target?
"
There's a total of 10 support gems that work with Scorching Ray -

Controlled Destruction, Elemental Focus, Faster Casting, Iron Will, Rapid Decay, Less Duration, Increased Burning Damage, Spell Totem, Empower, Enhance (no idea what the quality bonus is).

Likely the best setup will be -

Scorching Ray + Controlled Destruction + Elemental Focus + Faster Casting + Rapid Decay + Empower (if you've got the money)/Increased Burning Damage (cheaper option)/Spell Totem (if you want to go totems). Enhance and Less Duration would likely lose out to any of those three.

Club it with Doon Cuebiyari sceptre and Repentance gloves to get a free uber-Iron Will (Repentance adds free Iron Will + Doon gives its own Iron Will-like effect which can stack on top of that). Note that you'll need a lot of intelligence to wear both of those.

Play a Chieftain (Ngamahu + Ramako + Tawhoa + whatever) Righteous Fire character to add even more damage. Why Chieftain? Cos a bit of extra fire damage plus a ton of extra regen plus endurance charge generation, which is what keeps you alive (and supports Righteous Fire) since this can't leech. Also, extra strength to make your in-built Iron Will even better.

Add in Elemental Equilibrium and Elemental Overload via Orb of Storms or some other skill for even more damage. That leaves the only thing missing being Pain Attunement, which is also technically possible if you've got the money to make a low-life RF character but likely not worth the trouble at this point (you'd have got way more than enough damage already by now).

One additional thing to note is that not only is this skill immune to reflect (so was old Incinerate since the reflected damage was laughable), it's also immune to lightning thorns (which often insta-killed old Incinerate builds) since channeled skills count as just one cast.

Almost described my build for this exactly except Chieftain also has a trick to offset the no leach from SR as well with 29-32% life regen per sec. Only downside of Chieftain so far is the lack of cast speed passives that are mostly in the upper and right side of the tree; Don't know how much cast speed is needed for the turn radius on this skill to feel smooth.
I'm so excited! I love you GGG!!!! Great game as always!
Lasertotem hype.
It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I don't taste very good.
Can't wait to try it out!!
"
AdFinitum wrote:
- Anyone got an idea if Elementalist Shaper of Desolation and Beacon of Ruin would work with Scorching Ray ?

- Will Scorching Ray have any kind of initial hit ( e.g. even Essence Drain has one ) to possibly apply Elemental Equilibrium with added Lightning / Cold damage ?

My personal guess is that "Shaper of Desolation" and EE wont work since there is no hit, based on the wording "Beacon of Ruin" should actually work but wont be too useful without any AoE increases.

Based on what was said, and wording.

Beacon of ruin will not work.
Ignite is an elemental status ailment. Burning is not.
This skill skips Ignite, and just adds the burning directly.
Damage over time, also does not HIT. so, any on hit things, most likely will also, not work.
This skill needs to have some hit properties to break barrels and urn.
Can anyone confirm that the burn from Scorching Ray will stack with the burn from RF???

I added Scorching Ray to my RF build but bosses don't seem to die much faster, yet I should have doubled my dps.

thanks,

-PuFF
Does Illuminated Devotion skill from Hierophant's ascendancy affect Scorching Ray?

Wiki clearly says that Fire Penetration skill gem do not affect SR, but what about this ascendancy skill? I checked in Path of Building and it shows that skill damage increases.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info