Scorching Ray Skill Gem Mechanics

i'd lie saying that i like this design..

a) it is incinerate Mk II
b) it shows how badly the game design space is restricted with all this double dip idiocy.

3/10

most probably it will be broken OP so many people will play it (claiming that they 'like it, not because it is broken but because of mechanics') until it is nerfed a bit (when the same people will jump to the other FoTM bandwagon claiming that they never played anything else because they just happen to like Instert Broken Skill Name)

bribe based skill design.. not really a fan of it
i'll just slap it on my failed incinerator trickster CI with ~160%-190% cast speed and win.
There are some questions about mechanic of this skill. For theory craft future builds, pick ascendancy and items priority.
1) Mana cost. What about mana cost calculation, especialy with spell totem? Will it work like flameblast?
2) Hits. Can this spell hit? As dmg over time, same as RF, it shouldn't. (Tukohama 20% to taunt ability)
3) Fire penetreation calculation. Do Scorching Ray can reduce target's fire resistance below 0%. Have this penetration some limits?
4) Ignite. What about "burning damage over time", which "lasts a short time, but is refreshed while they're in the beam", will it count as ignite. All about the f*ckin immunity (sorry, its fed up).
5) Auras and heralds. Will they work with this spell (Anger, for example)? How then base damage will calculate and scale over time.
6) What about crit. As DOT it cant, but, just to be sure.

P.S.
Sorry if questions are repeated after other members. Sorry for superfluous scrupulousness.
It's all about theory craft. When new skills will release, i want to have suitable character ~90 lvl. Chieftain, Hierophant or Elementalist.
Not gonna lie, I'm not really a fan of essentially making a "new" version of an existing skill, rendering the former obsolete rather than improving it. Sure, the former is still viable to some extent, but what's the point when in most cases it's less effective and provides less utility than its newer counterpart?

We've seen this type of skill development a few times already:
Ice Nova -> Vortex
Cyclone -> Blade Vortex

And now with Incinerate -> Scorching Ray.

I love POE, but the recent trend of developing new skills as superior versions of existing ones seems uninspired.

Ill be trying Scorching Ray anyway, of course, as I'm sure it will be fun to play, if not a bit too strong at first by design.

Personally, I'm hoping the devs will address the issue of immunity mechanics in boss design. Having your build completely gated from certain content seems to go against the spirit of build diversity and viability that Path of Exile has always had in the past.
Last edited by MrAuntJemima on Nov 2, 2016, 3:51:41 AM
TBH i dont think anyone will play a slow build like this, like noone is playing incinerate or other builds that need to stand still forever to kill something :) if its superstrong it might be in a build as single target or something, but in the current bow, BV and occasionally other stuff meta i dont see that becoming a thing
ok,new version of incinerate, sux a lot, now show us a new very good melee skill plz.
BaronCrovax ign.
Nice skill but it would be nice to make it another element than fire?? fire is close to the channeling gem incinerate skill, and the light element is lightning Tendrils so would it not be nice to make the skill ice based element then it got the function of slowing monsters while they try to come closer to you while u need to kill them before they reach you.
Better you GGG take care of balance. Don't give us smth predictably too strong and nerf before release.
"It doesn't count as a projectile or an area effect skill."

and this will make it shit, as no one will be able to scale it to proper clear speed

YES I support the game, NO I don't agree with many GGG decisions

Lab still sucks balls.

I miss Zana already.
"
sidtherat wrote:
i'd lie saying that i like this design..

a) it is incinerate Mk II
b) it shows how badly the game design space is restricted with all this double dip idiocy.

3/10

most probably it will be broken OP so many people will play it (claiming that they 'like it, not because it is broken but because of mechanics') until it is nerfed a bit (when the same people will jump to the other FoTM bandwagon claiming that they never played anything else because they just happen to like Instert Broken Skill Name)

bribe based skill design.. not really a fan of it

i was gonna write something similar but anyway, here we go you already posted :D

and as final note, in current speed meta when we/i 1shotting whole packs screen wide in t16s like casuall dried like farming, these kinds of skills has no place in current meta...

stand still, cast beam LOL.. you cant even leech LOL...

+ yet another fire skill like there are already tons of fire skills.. wow so different than incinerate wow.

bla bla bla etc ...

after tons of balance issues, vinktars, es vs hp, cospris will existence and such, also after this new skill i have under %5 hope left to ggg will be able do something better than this current game..

w/e

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info