New 2.4.1 Sextant Mods Part II

"
forsajt wrote:
Sorry for offtopic, but what build is that one on the screenshot? Using Windripper - I guess it's not a Ranger, right? One would think that most obvious class to play with Windripper would be Ranger. Amazingly, in current game Ranger + Windripper is a no go. Are you planning to do something about it?

The deer with a windripper is a hunted traitor, not a player's build. However beware that windripper nowadays is somewhat popular for Templar inquisitor builds.
"
forsajt wrote:
Sorry for offtopic, but what build is that one on the screenshot? Using Windripper - I guess it's not a Ranger, right? One would think that most obvious class to play with Windripper would be Ranger. Amazingly, in current game Ranger + Windripper is a no go. Are you planning to do something about it?

Additionally the devs are under no obligation to play the current meta builds (neither is anyone else, really -- there's nothing stopping you from being a windripper ranger).
[img]http://image.prntscr.com/image/2e57fcaba2ea48cc9832fecc55c6d0d6.png[/img]
Last edited by Commoble on Oct 14, 2016, 11:39:48 AM
"
Commoble wrote:
"
forsajt wrote:

Additionally the devs are under no obligation to play the current meta builds (neither is anyone else, really -- there's nothing stopping you from being a windripper ranger).

Really? They don't hire testers? Shouldn't a game like this give somewhat even chances for completing it, with different offensive class/weapon types? Instead, beating it requires nothing but finding a f*****g exploit that they haven't yet fixed. If someone figures out how to abuse some interaction, then literally everyone begins using it for as long as possible, until they finally nerf it. This is just ridiculous, and makes me think that balancing in this game just got out of their hands.
"
mathiasmmh wrote:
fix ur game

this

Alpha Realm or PTR man!
No Problem,
Exile
wownice
IGN: NoySL
I love these new mods, especially the ones that give an advantage & disadvantage combination. Will make the sextants so interesting and fun to use since after all they are optional.

Looking forward to playing around with them!
"
cipher_nemo wrote:
"
Ryouko wrote:
pretty sure they already did but nothing happened from ggg's side, so why not post it in here to show their anger? Im with those people cause the current situation is just hilarious with all those laggs and stuttering.

Servers are fine. When there are actual issues with the servers, GGG and the community knows about it, and it doesn't last long. Either your system, your router, your ISP, or national access points along the Internet are at fault if you're getting lag for days at a time or longer. Post a WinMTR log in the Tech Support forum if you want to find out what's really at fault. Otherwise, stop spreading lies. Thanks.

im not talking about issues with the connection but about isssues with the performance overall. It's problems caused by the bad optimized engine or so that can't handle a lot of actions in a short time.
Last edited by Ryouko on Oct 14, 2016, 3:03:49 PM
"
forsajt wrote:
"
Commoble wrote:
"
forsajt wrote:

Really? They don't hire testers? Shouldn't a game like this give somewhat even chances for completing it, with different offensive class/weapon types? Instead, beating it requires nothing but finding a f*****g exploit that they haven't yet fixed. If someone figures out how to abuse some interaction, then literally everyone begins using it for as long as possible, until they finally nerf it. This is just ridiculous, and makes me think that balancing in this game just got out of their hands.

Hey Forsajt,

Having a range of power in builds is natural. Some builds are strong and others suck. There are also many amazing builds that are not considered "meta". This is something that happens in nearly every game out there. In POE, the builds that are good (not just meta) will fluctuate over time and create a shifting landscape where each patch changes so much. If you think the devs can test every single interaction in the game before release then that's just naive.

This game is nearly infinitely complex and requires the entirety of the community to test. That's a unique quality that I actually truly enjoy about this game which keeps it fresh and exciting and has kept me hooked for years.

The whole point of a game is to have fun. If it's fun to abuse a mechanic and feel powerful then what is really wrong with that? If you don't like it then don't worry about it, play something else. Just have fun!
"
Potenz0 wrote:
I'm afraid this is structurally broken.

Say what you like about power creep, but the player is only incentivised to mod a map if it makes it
i) drop more loot (this is the way regular map crafting works); or
ii) easier (so as to be able to attempt higher tier maps, that drop more loot).

Sextants don't generally do (i). And they don't do (ii) reliably either.

They are intended to make it easier, conditionally. The problem is, you're rolling against a table in which you're quite likely to get something that doesn't make it easier, or actually makes it harder. Whatever you roll may make it easier for *someone*, but it's unlikely to make it easier for you.

Examples:
* Curses on player much less effective; player curses a bit less effective. Firstly, this is only really beneficial on a map with a curse mod on it. And if you're a player that uses curses, it's likely to be a bad trade-off; if you're a player that *relies* on curses, like a tri-curse witch or someone relying on Blasphemy/CoH+warriors-mark for mana, then it's a terrible trade off.
* Onslaught. Well fine if you're a Raider, but for most people this will make it harder.
*Poison: most builds will want to cure this poison. Hybrids will really hurt. Fine for builds with massive regen, but again, that's a small proportion.

So if I'm running, say, this season's current meta (BV CI with Warlord's mark), that's two mods that make it harder and one that makes no difference. If I'm a hybrid witch, that could be two that may make my maps unplayable, and one that makes it worse. If I'm, say, a hierophant totemer or an earthquake juggernaut, I'll probably never notice these mods are active.

And because Sextants are so rare, I'm not going to be able to re-roll if I don't like the mod I rolled. It's safer not to bother using it at all.

The "traitors" mod is indeed cool - or would be if balanced well. But most players will never know, because they're not going to engage with the sextant system.

It's unusual for GGG to mess up, but I'm afraid this is a design fail that goes deeper than tweaking some numbers.

See, that's the problem with you people - you can't see past your ideal of efficiency, despite this being a bloody game, NOT work! There's a third reason why a player might be incentivized to mod a map -

iii) TO MAKE IT MORE FUN!

Yes, believe it or not, but plenty of players play this game for that reason. And yes, believe it or not, plenty of players see fun in something other than maximum efficiency. Indeed, speaking for myself, that is the MAIN ROLE I wanted the sextant system to fill. Some other posters here have pointed out how some of the "wierd" and "out-of-place" mods should be dropped in favored of just another source of IIQ/IIR and experience. You know what? Some of us want something quite different - more mods that add interesting effects to maps.

So what about your needs, huh? Well, since you want loot, here's an idea - just sell the sextants you don't like! No one's making you play them, so don't. Restrict yourself to playing just a tiny number of "useful" sextants and sell the rest. There are folks who'll buy them.

Seriously, why people have an issue with GGG adding more optional stuff to the game is beyond me. Just ignore it if you don't like it. "hurr durr but that means they're devoting development time to stuff that doesn't increase my clearspeed/drop more loot/give more xp..." Sorry to break it to you, but the game doesn't revolve around you and there actually are other kinds of people who play this game.

P.S.: Sorry for the tone, but I felt like emphasizing my point - and it's directed at several people who keep making similar comments.
Last edited by Exile009 on Oct 14, 2016, 3:22:01 PM
What will happen to the old sextant mods?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info