[3.8] What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper! [Fire/Ice Trap build][UberAtziri/Shaper Video]

Ehem, might as well turn this little mistake into something. I shall be properly testing out any new changes as soon as the new release comes out. Until then, though, I actually always wanted to call out to have people possible have any suggestions or possible ideas of alternatives that are based on this build, but slightly different, like maybe a Low life build of sorts. Just post any ideas and I might try them out on release.
Last edited by MrMoho on Jul 18, 2017, 5:16:09 PM
"
MrMoho wrote:
"
bridgeburner wrote:
Has anyone tried this build out in beta? I'm thinking of giving it a shot but not sure if the ignites are gonna be as good since that damage was altered since 2.6

I was sadly not able to check out the beta myself, but from what I read, it does indeed reduce the effectiveness of Ignite in this build. A bit. It's not a massive downside, I find. This will just cause T15 and below bosses to die slower if you get them ignited. I never managed to Ignite the Guardians, anyways, to which I have to assume that this will not cripple this build at all. Maybe slightly in early game (and I mean slightly), but the endgame will most likely stay the same.

I just considered the Ignite damage a little fun side effect of this build, anyways, ergo, I never relied on it to happen when fighting anything. The chances were too low to do so. Still, it was fun when it happened.

I'm a bit more concerned about the reduced ES on items, but from the looks of it they are slightly compensating for builds like this so it doesn't hit them too hard.

Thanks for the info. I am trying this out and yea, the survivability might be an issue with the nerfs to ES. I'm thinking about dropping ES and just adding more life, but not sure how I'd do that. The buffs to MoM do help.

Also, the buffs to Carcass Jack are nice too. I have a 5L on beta with 50% increased area damage. I transitioned from another trap build though so most of my gems are lvl 16-17 so my damage isn't great right now. I'll check in later with more updates.
"
bridgeburner wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am trying this out and yea, the survivability might be an issue with the nerfs to ES. I'm thinking about dropping ES and just adding more life, but not sure how I'd do that. The buffs to MoM do help.

Also, the buffs to Carcass Jack are nice too. I have a 5L on beta with 50% increased area damage. I transitioned from another trap build though so most of my gems are lvl 16-17 so my damage isn't great right now. I'll check in later with more updates.

Oh, that Carcass buff sounds amazing! I hope they made (or will make) Jaws of Agony a bit more friendly to non-physical Trap builds by maybe increasing the overall Trap Damage and removing the increased Physical Damage. Either that or make Deerstalker a high level item, or give it a Prophecy to increase its potency... Hey, I can dream!
hi
ty for this build :-)

it's my first trapper, i'm currently lvl70, and i need to do the mercy lab, that's for my progression :-)

I am a little confused about the use of the shield. i understand the 28% trap damage, life and power charges :-P
but why put poison support on it instead of cluster trap like the others?
for sinlgle target damage? fire trap do this job no?

and with already 3 kind of trap (fire, ice and shock nova), is it really necessary to use a 4th trap?

i use helmet str/ES to have golem link to cwdt because it's a cancer to self cast it each 5secondes :-/

can you see my gear and do comments plz ?

Spoiler

and

i know i must update my rings and amu which are come from an other char but it's difficult to find res, life and regen mana, all in one :-/

i try the 2nd set of weapon/shield, with whirling blade and aura/curse on shield.
i have equivalent damages and more ES

if i dont want to use bear trap but keep jaws (for the others stats), i think i will come back to a configuration like set2.

other litle question :
the stats "global crit strike chance" on amu and "crit strike chance for spell and #damage to spell" on dagger
are mandatory or only "spell damage" is needed?
Last edited by king_deus on Jul 19, 2017, 8:56:33 AM
"
king_deus wrote:
I am a little confused about the use of the shield. i understand the 28% trap damage, life and power charges :-P
but why put poison support on it instead of cluster trap like the others?
for sinlgle target damage? fire trap do this job no?

I put poison support in there merely to give a bit of bonus damage. It's surprisingly good, but after Fall of Oriath comes out no longer so, true. Cluster Trap with Bear Trap is a bad idea since it is single target only and it will split the damage that way rather awkwardly. Put a two- or three-link movement skill with Whirling Blades/Shield Charge + Faster Attacks + Fortify in it and Culling Strike to finish off bosses with that Bear Trap if you went for just the double link for a movement skill.

"
king_deus wrote:
and with already 3 kind of trap (fire, ice and shock nova), is it really necessary to use a 4th trap?

Even with three traps, you will run out of charges sometimes, so that fourth for inbetween is kinda nice.

"
king_deus wrote:
i use helmet str/ES to have golem link to cwdt because it's a cancer to self cast it each 5secondes :-/

I wouldn't call it cancer, but it can get annoying, so what you did is fine to do!

"
king_deus wrote:
can you see my gear and do comments plz ?

Spoiler

and

i know i must update my rings and amu which are come from an other char but it's difficult to find res, life and regen mana, all in one :-/

i try the 2nd set of weapon/shield, with whirling blade and aura/curse on shield.
i have equivalent damages and more ES

if i dont want to use bear trap but keep jaws (for the others stats), i think i will come back to a configuration like set2.

The gear looks pretty fine, so just look to improve it just in its stats; you can always get better yellow stuff! However, there is a little problem with one of your daggers: It has added fire damage to spells. That will sadly mess up Elemental Equilibrium. The way it works is that it will increase the elemental resistance of your target of each element that your attack hit with and reduce it with each it didn't. Even the slightest amount. And because of that, your Frost Trap would cause it the elemental resistance to proc for fire and not just your Firetrap, which is why instead of dealing 50% more with your Firetrap, you will deal 25% less. Basically, avoid weapons that add elemental damage to your spells.

"
king_deus wrote:
other litle question :
the stats "global crit strike chance" on amu and "crit strike chance for spell and #damage to spell" on dagger
are mandatory or only "spell damage" is needed?

They are all great to have, so grab anything you can of them. What amount is most important is hard to pinpoint, since it tends to vary quite a lot. Equip an item and see if the average damage of your traps increases or decreases and decide from there!
Thank you for your complete answer :-)
Now I understand why divinarius was better than my dagger despite a dps displayed much lower

I did a search without "#add elem damage to spell" and I found this wand for somes chaos

the dps is more or less equivalent to divinarius but i have more mana regen :-)
and the efficiency is better than my daggers :-) so i continue like this !!

with your advise, i put culling strike support on the jaws and it works well !

i up lvl74 and continue to go to devotion for more life (4.1k actualy :-/ ) and then go to retry merc lab!
The new trap unique chest makes me so sad. They never want to give Saboteur anything lol. To get the most out of it you might as well as run Assassin or any other Ascendancy with Hair Triggers.
Last edited by Icoza on Jul 25, 2017, 1:58:12 PM
"
Icoza wrote:
The new trap unique chest makes me so sad. They never want to give Saboteur anything lol. To get the most out of it you might as well as run Assassin or any other Ascendancy with Hair Triggers.

Yeah, that chest seems pretty meh. The health recovered seems pretty eh, even if it appears to be a way for trappers to get leech, and getting phasing is ungodly situational. Getting Frenzy Charges might be nice, though would this be nothing but a fancy side-effect to get. I will try it out, still. Might be nice... Though, I doubt it will be better than Carcass.

I can't quite see why this would be better on an Assassin, though. Is it because of the Frenzy Charges? A Saboteur gets as much of a bonus from all the bonuses as anybody else. I might not see something here, so please, tell me if I am missing it.
"
MrMoho wrote:
"
Icoza wrote:

Yeah, that chest seems pretty meh. The health recovered seems pretty eh, even if it appears to be a way for trappers to get leech, and getting phasing is ungodly situational. Getting Frenzy Charges might be nice, though would this be nothing but a fancy side-effect to get. I will try it out, still. Might be nice... Though, I doubt it will be better than Carcass.

I can't quite see why this would be better on an Assassin, though. Is it because of the Frenzy Charges? A Saboteur gets as much of a bonus from all the bonuses as anybody else. I might not see something here, so please, tell me if I am missing it.

I should have explained my thoughts more. I just mean it's going to be more useful on an ascendancy that can run hair trigger instead of Sunblast or Chain Reaction. The chest just seems super bad for Saboteur because Chain Reaction makes the chest really bad. So the most useful classes to use the chest with would be one that gets a lot of damage or better defenses while also being able to use hair trigger.
"
Icoza wrote:
I should have explained my thoughts more. I just mean it's going to be more useful on an ascendancy that can run hair trigger instead of Sunblast or Chain Reaction. The chest just seems super bad for Saboteur because Chain Reaction makes the chest really bad. So the most useful classes to use the chest with would be one that gets a lot of damage or better defenses while also being able to use hair trigger.

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, considering that Blast Cascade functions just fine as a Saboteur, the Frenzy Charge and Phase gain is probably going to be work out swell. The Health and ES gain might be more beneficial on other builds, true... Though, then there is the old question if those traps triggered by Chain Reaction would've been triggered by enemies, anyways.
Last edited by MrMoho on Jul 27, 2017, 8:55:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info