[3.8] What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper! [Fire/Ice Trap build][UberAtziri/Shaper Video]

I am trying out this build for my very first character in this game, so im kinda new =) I dont really understand why you put Shock Nova and Trap supports gems into your gloves. shock nova isnt a trap skill is it? so it doesnt get supported by trap and mine dmg and the other 2 supports, or am i missing something?
"
MaverFlavor wrote:
I am trying out this build for my very first character in this game, so im kinda new =) I dont really understand why you put Shock Nova and Trap supports gems into your gloves. shock nova isnt a trap skill is it? so it doesnt get supported by trap and mine dmg and the other 2 supports, or am i missing something?

Shaped Gloves can have the mod of Supported by level X Trap Support, turning the Shock Nova into a trap. Once it is a Trap, all Trap support functions for it!
I've been enjoying this character, but am running into trouble with the Elder. Recommendations seem to be about 6k life + es, and I'm not really anywhere near that, but am terrible at the gear gathering portion of this game. Anyone who is good at this, please take a look and give me some specific advice on how to improve, especially if you can link to something in the sale list that you think would be worth me swapping out, and I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: Actually, after typing this, I did a search and was able to beef my gear to 6k combined life and ES. Still, recommendations are appreciated.
Last edited by AR_FA on Apr 15, 2019, 9:27:47 PM
"
AR_FA wrote:
I've been enjoying this character, but am running into trouble with the Elder. Recommendations seem to be about 6k life + es, and I'm not really anywhere near that, but am terrible at the gear gathering portion of this game. Anyone who is good at this, please take a look and give me some specific advice on how to improve, especially if you can link to something in the sale list that you think would be worth me swapping out, and I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Edit: Actually, after typing this, I did a search and was able to beef my gear to 6k combined life and ES. Still, recommendations are appreciated.

Two things I can suggest to you right away for more ES + Life is getting Rathpith Globe and also a Crystal Belt with loads of strength, ES and Life.

Past that, getting Shaped Gloves with Trap Support on them so you can replace your boots with proper ES ones with more life. Even okay-ish Shaped Gloves with some life and a bit of ES are gonna be worth the exchange.
"
MrMoho wrote:
"
AR_FA wrote:

Two things I can suggest to you right away for more ES + Life is getting Rathpith Globe and also a Crystal Belt with loads of strength, ES and Life.

Past that, getting Shaped Gloves with Trap Support on them so you can replace your boots with proper ES ones with more life. Even okay-ish Shaped Gloves with some life and a bit of ES are gonna be worth the exchange.

Thanks for the input. Hmm, so dump the bear trap shield, you think?

Also, while I'm discussing the build, comparing the damage between a number of different daggers and my current scepter, it seems that the scepter is always better. Am I missing an important area of comparison?
Hmm. Now I can't beat Caterina. Seems like it takes a long time to do reasonable damage. Is my gear not powerful enough? What is missing?
Hello, guys, wondering how can I improve my character, stuck on level 93. Maybe some tree and gear advices. Think i have survivability problem, but maybe I should just move better and don't facetank stuff. I have 5000 life and 2100 es. Is it good on 93? Don't mind siphoning trap set in helmet, just experimenting.
Last edited by Frankie_Z on May 8, 2019, 1:46:25 AM
Does the tree need updated or will this still work for 3.7?
Okay wow, it's been a long while since I've deleted bosses while leveling. Vaal died instantly. Dominus died instantly. As soon as Malachai became targetable in his 2nd room, he immediately teleported to the 1st organ for his invulnerability phase.

3.8 added in a lot of goodies for Trappers.

* Skitterbots make it so that you do NOT need a [Shock Nova - Trap Support] link anymore, the Skitterbots will automatically apply Shock to enemies they stand near, and the little buggers love rushing forward to hug enemies.

. * With this in mind, I replaced Shock Nova with a setup for Vaal Lightning Trap (freeing up 2 gem slots), using the regular variant that comes with the Vaal gem as a way to clear packs. Lightning Trap linked to Cluster Traps gives you some really good spread, although this will consume ALL Vaal Charges when you use VLT. Then I just threw in Charged Traps for effortless Power and Frenzy charge generation, and Advanced Traps for the "+Skill Effect Duration" for Vaal Lightning Trap, although this can probably be replaced with Chain Support (for improved pack clearing, not for VLT) or some other support gem, I'm not quite sure yet.

* In 3.8, they added in a way to craft Notables onto amulets. I think this is a good opportunity to get one of the 3 far-off notables:
Blast Cascade, Master Sapper, or Unstable Munitions.
This means you can grab the new Essence Extraction notable next to MoM (meaning you no longer need an Anti-Freeze flask) and Mind Drinker (for more EHP) next to the trap wheel. Otherwise, I don't think the passive tree in the guide needs to be changed as much.

* The guide says a possible link for Siphoning Trap is Culling Strike. Siphoning Trap is a DoT. DoTs and Degens are not considered "hits" and therefore cannot cull - the only thing that can Cull is the activation of the Trap and that's just clunky as hell. Just use a 3-Link setup on your weapon: [Siphoning Trap - Bonechill Support - Advanced Traps]

. * I instead linked Culling Strike to Lightning Spire Trap because of the frequency of hits, but I still have to test if Flamethrower Trap or Seismic Trap is a better fit due to the accuracy of the skill, however I do not have the right socket colors to test it out as of now.

Overall, I'm having an absolute blast playing this build in 3.8. Hopefully I can push Shaper and Elder and other endgame content.
Last edited by ChaoMing on Sep 7, 2019, 4:28:13 PM
I am back!... Sorta. Not really playing the league, but certainly updating this build due to many new things having happened in 3.8 for Traps.

Shock Nova, alas, died... Well, it didn't die, but no longer is needed for this build due to Skitterbugs, the new Summon Skill for Trappers!

Well, beyond that, way more stuff happened for Mines, which made them finally fun to play, though do I still prefer Traps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info