Hacked Accounts

This is no different than any other game. People who get hacked do something stupid and it is their own fault 99% of the time.
"
Chris wrote:
After a lot of investigation, I worked out that it was the same password I used for my bitcoin account at Mtgox. Their entire site had been hacked the year before, revealing all the passwords. I managed to find the mtgox leaked password list, and sure enough, mine was on it.

Can you tell me/us how you did this?
IRON MAN
Well changed my password because some taiwanese guy logged into my facebook today (thankfully FB blocked that and I changed my password afterwards).

So just in case before I lose anything, I changed it here as well.
Chris

You're mostly talking about items, and I can sort of understand why you cant restore them (though I bet you will be able to trace all the transactions in the future (since I bet you have logs, just no tools to automate parsing them for this sort of stuff)).

But how about deleted characters? I for one would be quite grateful to get my characters back even with no items, since that's the bulk of the time investment that wont hurt economy in the slightest.

And while we are on the topic of it, how about delete queue for high level characters? So when you press delete on say char that has access to merciless - system puts it in delete queue for say 3 days, and while there is time you can press restore button to cancel delete process. That will save us from this kind of stuff and you from emails about "I accidentally deleted my character"

As someone put it a character Trash Bin. It was done in a lot of games before and it works, so why not?
Last edited by Hotcooler on Feb 20, 2013, 8:24:14 AM
"
Hotcooler wrote:
Chris

You're mostly talking about items, and I can sort of understand why you cant restore them (though I bet you will be able to trace all the transactions in the future (since I bet you have logs, just no tools to automate parsing them for this sort of stuff)).

But how about deleted characters? I for one would be quite grateful to get my characters back even with no items, since that's the bulk of the time investment that wont hurt economy in the slightest.

And while we are on the topic of it, how about delete queue for high level characters? So when you press delete on say char that has access to merciless - system puts it in delete queue for say 3 days, and while there is time you can press restore button to cancel delete process. That will save us from this kind of stuff and you from emails about "I accidentally deleted my character"

It was already multiple times said, that they don't have character restore service at the moment, but the will have. Just remember the time of deletion and character name, and when they will introduce the service, they will restore the char for you.

Although I am curious if they will restore any items that character had equipped/in inventory at time of deletion.
"
Dreggon wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
After a lot of investigation, I worked out that it was the same password I used for my bitcoin account at Mtgox. Their entire site had been hacked the year before, revealing all the passwords. I managed to find the mtgox leaked password list, and sure enough, mine was on it.

Can you tell me/us how you did this?

It was indexed by google.

Before I worked out where they got my password I was 100% convinced that it wasn't my fault. Then 100% convinced that it was :-(

"
Hotcooler wrote:
Chris

I definitely agree. At the moment our character deletion is a hard deletion, but we're moving to a model where they are soft-deleted and the names can be reused. If an undeletion occurs, a new name may be needed. We don't have this ready yet (it's lower priority than getting the account-lock-on-suspicious-access case sorted out). I am really looking forward to this being in so that we can easily restore deleted characters (but not any items that were stolen prior to them being deleted).
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
inb4 banwave during the upcoming races :) Already saw some discussions about how to maphack effectively in races (resetting instances etc).
ign: klavesnica
Last edited by drzpicu on Feb 20, 2013, 8:28:19 AM
"
If our database had been compromised, the accounts that attackers would target first would be the most wealthy players, the high profile streamers or the developers. Imagine how much it'd be worth to compromise my account? Kripparrian's? The top people on the ladder?

That would be a really dumb Idea to go after people like krip or dev accounts. You would then (don't lie) roll back the entire server if krip or a dev got hacked like this. If they were to target them from a breach it would net them nothing. I'm not saying you fully do what ever krip wants but he's a huge advertisement source for you and you want to keep him happy. by attacking not so popular accounts you don't care you don't do anything and that is what makes them / us more of a target.

Kinda simple.
"Unfortunately, we cannot restore any items lost to theft." Unless you are a well known streamer then we will do anything for you.
That reminds me of a time last year when Riot (League of Legends) got hacked. I think there was a post here on these forums in which it was recommended that we change our passwords here as well if we were using the same passwords as those on LoL.
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
"
TheHeffNerr wrote:
So when are you refunding me? I find it really funny that no one has directly contacted me yet I'm one of the only posters that make any legitimate post. Basically what I'm saying is you don't care, you say sorry blah blah blah but it means nothing to you.

With that attitude, no wonder no one has contacted you. Looking at your embittered posts it's clear nothing anyone says will get through to you but I'll take it on myself because such an egregious and utterly baseless outpouring of emotion can't be left unchallenged.

"
TheHeffNerr wrote:
The duplicate items issue you bring up is a poor poor poor poor excuse for treating paying customers this way. This will not crash the games eco system and never has in any game. D3, eco doesn't suck because blizzard allows roll backs. WoW eco system is not wacked out because blizzard replaces hacked items. these are the only 2 games I have experience in playing when it comes to hacked items so it'a all I can use.

Saying "poor" four times instead of once doesn't increase the effectiveness of your sentence. In fact, it achieves the opposite. It also doesn't make it true. You say this will not crash the game's economy but you have no information or knowledge at your disposal to back that up - you even admit you only have experience of two games in this area. Sorry, but you're wrong - the impact of the duplicate item issue is exactly as Chris has stated it.

"
TheHeffNerr wrote:
have fun with your new game Jay Wilson. Wait even Jay Wilson gave people at least 1 free roll back... Maybe you should hire him, he knows what customer service is at least.

And this is just ridiculous. You're completely on your own here - apart from the others who've joined you in the insanity of trying to attack developers who owe you not one single thing, as you've agreed via the Terms of Service.

Jay Wilson is the guy who said "fuck that loser" and "shut up PVP guy". Chris Wilson is the guy who just apologised for security issues that are not his fault at all and retracted the 'one-use' microtransaction system within the same day it was announced based on community feedback. This last little bitter dig is so far out of the bounds of reality it really makes you look like a sad little person.

As I said above, clearly nothing will get through to you - you are understandably upset but you've gone way off-base in your blame and the way you've chosen to carry it out. You may feel your anger is warranted but it's also clouding your judgement and your sense of what's right and what's wrong (tip: blaming developer known for transparency and listening to the community - wrong). Hopefully you can come back to this issue when you're a little calmer and reconsider what you've said and how you've chosen to deal with it.
IGN: ScrubcoreRulezBitch
Alt: HardcorePwnsScrubcore
Last edited by mkmaddage on Feb 20, 2013, 8:54:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info