[2.4] THOR'S RAINBOWNUKE: RIP to GGG Designing for Xbox One

I run a similar life-based build (and have since 2.2)

Thought you might be able to draw some inspiration from my setup, which can easily run T15, uberlab, normal atziri, insta-gib monster packs. Downside is that single target dps is really not good, and for a build that effectively has to facetank enemies to deal damage, it's not uber atziri (and probably not shaper) viable.

gear

highlights: 5.7k life, EXTREME physical mitigation (high armour + lightning coil), 80/80/85 resistances unflasked, fast clear speed, decent damage.

RIP 2.3 mjolner ;_; time to go reroll BV pathfinder or whatever the next-best thing is I guess!
"there is no spoone" - The Matricks
Last edited by Zeekin on Sep 6, 2016, 1:49:23 AM
Hi! Great build. I have only one question, why is Berserker better than Juggernaut?
Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir
I decided to post my personal guide on how I cleared some of the Tier 16 Bosses Deathless. Take note that as the bosses have high health, and have some deadly boss mechanics, the fight isnt quite a faceroll.

For all 3 bosses, I ran Lightning Pen + Arc + Discharge in my Mjolner, as the adds can be quite annoying in the fight itself. I used Molten Strike as my main attack in all cases.

1) Phoenix Boss:

Probably the easiest one so far. You can literally facetank his main attack sequence and kill all the adds at the same time. However, he has this unique explosion attack that will wipe out most of your life if it hits. The explosion has a charge up animation (I liken it to the boss going in to a floating fetal position) that is easy to telegraph, and the boss usually does the charge up animation after doing a dashing attack of sorts. If you move out of the way whilst he charges up, you will be fine.

2) Minotaur Boss:

I was actually able to facetank this boss more or less, as his slam attack did not one-shot me (although if there are sufficient damage mods in place, you might die instantly). The adds were more or less irrelevant for me as arc just took care of them.

The main issue of the fight is the rock fall that occurs within an area designated by glowing circles. These circles form after the boss does his slam attack (which has some wind up to it). Basically once he slams, just move out of the glowing radius and continue facetanking. If there are too many overlapping circles, you may need to relocate to another area, which becomes harder to do as the shock barriers activate. Also, the boss can do a dig move to chase you down.

If your positioning is very strong, the fight should not be an issue (you can even kite the boss into the shock barriers if you want to). Although if you are having issues with the fight, you might wanna try tackle's method instead.

3) Chimera Boss:
This boss is the easiest to facetank, but has the hardest fight mechanics. His core attack animations can easily be facetanked without issue. Every about 1/3 of his life, the boss will disappear and adds will start spawning.

There are 3 types of adds: Snake (Ranged), Goat (Leaps), Lion (Posion). These adds are dangerous if too many start to spawn. They only stop spawning when a unique Avatar of the Goat/Snake/Lion is killed. This Avatar seems to only spawn in the top right mob spawning entrance of the Arena, so just stay there and kill mobs until it spawns.

After the add phase is over, the boss will typically reappear, fight for a while and activate his next special attack. This attack will spawn smoke clouds, make the boss invisible and cause him to attack you constantly with no way for you to damage him back. This will kill you quickly if you do not take action fast. Basically, you must find the boss by running in to the smoke clouds scattered throughout the arena. Just pop your quicksilver and run from smoke cloud to smoke cloud. Once you bump in to him, he will stop doing that invincible attack and the fight resumes.

Just rinse and repeat for the remaining mob phases.
Last edited by iSo1iD on Sep 6, 2016, 6:30:15 AM
"
Mordenkran wrote:
Hi! Great build. I have only one question, why is Berserker better than Juggernaut?

Lots more damage and therefore better clear speed.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
"
iSo1iD wrote:
I decided to post my personal guide on how I cleared some of the Tier 16 Bosses Deathless. Take note that as the bosses have high health, and have some deadly boss mechanics, the fight isnt quite a faceroll.

For all 3 bosses, I ran Lightning Pen + Arc + Discharge in my Mjolner, as the adds can be quite annoying in the fight itself. I used Molten Strike as my main attack in all cases.

1) Phoenix Boss:

Probably the easiest one so far. You can literally facetank his main attack sequence and kill all the adds at the same time. However, he has this unique explosion attack that will wipe out most of your life if it hits. The explosion has a charge up animation (I liken it to the boss going in to a floating fetal position) that is easy to telegraph, and the boss usually does the charge up animation after doing a dashing attack of sorts. If you move out of the way whilst he charges up, you will be fine.

2) Minotaur Boss:

I was actually able to facetank this boss more or less, as his slam attack did not one-shot me (although if there are sufficient damage mods in place, you might die instantly). The adds were more or less irrelevant for me as arc just took care of them.

The main issue of the fight is the rock fall that occurs within an area designated by glowing circles. These circles form after the boss does his slam attack (which has some wind up to it). Basically once he slams, just move out of the glowing radius and continue facetanking. If there are too many overlapping circles, you may need to relocate to another area, which becomes harder to do as the shock barriers activate. Also, the boss can do a dig move to chase you down.

If your positioning is very strong, the fight should not be an issue (you can even kite the boss into the shock barriers if you want to). Although if you are having issues with the fight, you might wanna try tackle's method instead.

3) Chimera Boss:
This boss is the easiest to facetank, but has the hardest fight mechanics. His core attack animations can easily be facetanked without issue. Every about 1/3 of his life, the boss will disappear and adds will start spawning.

There are 3 types of adds: Snake (Ranged), Goat (Leaps), Lion (Posion). These adds are dangerous if too many start to spawn. They only stop spawning when a unique Avatar of the Goat/Snake/Lion is killed. This Avatar seems to only spawn in the top right mob spawning entrance of the Arena, so just stay there and kill mobs until it spawns.

After the add phase is over, the boss will typically reappear, fight for a while and activate his next special attack. This attack will spawn smoke clouds, make the boss invisible and cause him to attack you constantly with no way for you to damage him back. This will kill you quickly if you do not take action fast. Basically, you must find the boss by running in to the smoke clouds scattered throughout the arena. Just pop your quicksilver and run from smoke cloud to smoke cloud. Once you bump in to him, he will stop doing that invincible attack and the fight resumes.

What's your ES pool like? The Phoenix charge up attack was 1-shotting me from 8.2k ES. Something was also 1-shotting me in the Minotaur boss fight if I just tried facetanking him. So in both cases I just ran around kiting - and Phoenix is pretty easy if you do that.

Glad you figured out the Chimera boss fight - I had no idea with the smoke clouds what to do and died.

Forge of the Phoenix video uploading now.

Also, can anyone figure out how to deal with Rigwald without dying on this build? I struggled with him in both Dark Forest (T15) and Lair (T13).

My impression of this build in 2.4 is that it's really not a great boss killer for T16s, and I don't have high expectations for how it will handle the shaper fight. Still think that for just mapping normally it's excellent.
Last edited by tackle70 on Sep 6, 2016, 8:23:48 AM
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
iSo1iD wrote:

1) Phoenix Boss:

2) Minotaur Boss:

3) Chimera Boss:

What's your ES pool like? The Phoenix charge up attack was 1-shotting me from 8.2k ES. Something was also 1-shotting me in the Minotaur boss fight if I just tried facetanking him. So in both cases I just ran around kiting - and Phoenix is pretty easy if you do that.

Glad you figured out the Chimera boss fight - I had no idea with the smoke clouds what to do and died.

Forge of the Phoenix video uploading now.

Also, can anyone figure out how to deal with Rigwald without dying on this build? I struggled with him in both Dark Forest (T15) and Lair (T13).

My impression of this build in 2.4 is that it's really not a great boss killer for T16s, and I don't have high expectations for how it will handle the shaper fight. Still think that for just mapping normally it's excellent.

Currently I'm sitting at about 8.5k ES, and I still haven't died to Phoenix yet despite doing multiple runs. That dash attack does take me dangerously close to dying sometimes, but I have yet to outright die from it. If I do drop low, I will then pop flask to go back up to full (or vaal discipline). The charge up explosion is still something I avoid at all costs.

I did 2 more Minotaurs today and I died twice in one of the runs (the other was deathless). I'm not too sure what was killing me though, I took precaution to stay out of the rockfall, and I doubt it was the slam alone that killed me either. I have a feeling that either mob density or desync is playing a role in my inconsistent boss fight results.

Also, I agree with the notion that this build isnt quite cut out for efficient T16 clearing (the maps are certainly manageable), but its still great at generic mapping.

Btw I'm curious whats your boss flask set-up? I'm running a Ruby, Sapphire, Vinktar, Graphite & Basalt (I swap the basalt for quicksilver in the Chimera fight).
Last edited by iSo1iD on Sep 6, 2016, 9:44:51 AM
I haven't changed my flask setup for bosses, which is probably half the problem for these difficult ones.

I am also unsure what kills me when facetanking minotaur - it's not the slam, and it's not the rocks, and it's not his roll under ground and pop up attack, because I survive all those regularly. My best guess is that it's when he lands a crit.
Yeah crits might be another contributing factor to those Minotaur RIPs.

Oh yeah regarding Rigwald, from the 2 times I have faced him, plus what I have read up, it seems he does a ridiculous amount of physical damage, so much so that the Armour alone from Graphite flask is insufficient defense.

Against Rigwald, having a Basalt Flask really makes a huge difference, as it provides flat 20% physical damage mitigation (unlike armor that scales based on the damage dealt). You can further combine it with a Legacy Taste of Hate (in place of your normal sapphire flask) for even more reliable damage resistance against physical. (At the bugged 82% cold resist, which goes up to 88% with flask popping, legacy ToH causes the player to take 26.4% less physical damage). With both flasks popped, you effectively take only 58.88% of the physical damage (not counting in having a graphite flask), which combined with the occasional immortal call proc should enabling you to tank Rigwald more effectively.

However, even with such strong mitigation, your life pool should still see rather fast decrease over time (especially if you take the brunt of the spirit wolf barrage), so just pop your vinktar+shock removal when you get low (or vaal discipline). Also, take note when Rigwald does his teleport, as once you stop leeching, you will basically die.

Last edited by iSo1iD on Sep 6, 2016, 10:09:22 AM
Forge of the Phoenix map + boss kill uploaded.

And with that, I am 124/125 done on my atlas - just Putrid Cloister left to go :)
"
tackle70 wrote:
Forge of the Phoenix map + boss kill uploaded.

And with that, I am 124/125 done on my atlas - just Putrid Cloister left to go :)

Gratz man, have you taken on the Shaper yet? I'm still planning on researching the fight first.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info