Wilson, we've had a problem here

"
Natharias wrote:
Read up on ad hominem. It means an attack against a person. Calling someone something, especially something they aren't, is ad hominem. Regardless of whether it is an attack or not, it is against the person, not their position

no, I had no attack against any person, sorry. its purely attack on their position, ie crying about toys (power in-game) being in-game. there was never a personal attack, sorry.

"

You saying that calling someone something isn't ad hominem is like saying hating Obama because he's black isn't ad hominem. It is.
horrible analogy. I dont hate anyone. I attack directly the position of entitlement to shit and crying when shit is taken away. just like I can attack a company or corporation for being greedy or whatever. Im attacking their actions, not themselves.

"

Ascendancies weren't a buff. They were an addition.

lol. ascendancies were a huge buff to player power without any harder content added; not sure how you don't get this.

"

Learn what things are. Unless you simply aren't native to English, in which case I suggest you revisit your classes. Then try reading my posts.
lol

again, Ive challenged you to find me a build that could clear dried lake in awakening without investing a single point into passive tree. still waiting.

the buff to player power over the course of last year was humongous.

you have no rebuttal for this. typical

you cannot view the game objectively through prism of balance. too bad.
"
Natharias wrote:

Nerfing is usually the worst option , and when done too oftenit is a sign of carelessness, incompetence, and laziness.

this is absolute and utter nonsense, if you care about balance.

there is no difference between nerfing or buffing from balance perspective. from balance perspective, nerfing or buffing are simply tools to get the game into the desired state

the problem is we have some people who only care about their power, and cant deal with power taken away from them, but are more than fine with their power being buffed

so really, these people dont give a shit about balance. they simply want to play something powerful.

avoiding nerfs simply because these players feelings might get hurt, is hilariously silly
Last edited by grepman on Aug 31, 2016, 6:59:27 PM
"
grepman wrote:
There is no difference between nerfing or buffing from balance perspective. from balance perspective, nerfing or buffing are simply tools to get the game into the desired state

the problem is we have some people who only care about their power, and cant deal with power taken away from them, but are more than fine with their power being buffed

so really, these people dont give a shit about balance. they simply want to play something powerful.

avoiding nerfs simply because these players feelings might get hurt, is hilariously silly

From balance perspective, nerfing is ok... totally burying skills, is another thing. This hurts the game, in long run, if make skills unusable. and by "unusable" I mean nerfing skills so much, that can barely clear dried lake... cast on crit good example, can see any use anymore, for whole build type?

Balance is good, but totally killing builds, has lead to situation, that not many options left if want make end-game viable build... atleast not many, if compared to amount of choises there used to be. Nerfing them op ones (nerf, not 100% killshot) would be good for sure, but the way these always are made, is not good I think.

This game's balance team needs to be nerfed, if something... GGG please add some cooldown for their actions as well :I Feels odd, that this "desired state" is in reality: Use this or this or this, not them others.
they exclude the change with Nulls but didnt say anything about mjolner, mjolner was never op, it was 1 point on the jugger that made it ultra op just nerf that 100% to 30 % and mjolner is fine again, but no lets quad nerf that shit and force every1 to re-roll fireball and spear so in 3 months when they found a new op build we nerf those and force them to play Tendrils.
"
"
grepman wrote:
There is no difference between nerfing or buffing from balance perspective. from balance perspective, nerfing or buffing are simply tools to get the game into the desired state

From balance perspective, nerfing is ok... totally burying skills, is another thing. This hurts the game, in long run, if make skills unusable. and by "unusable" I mean nerfing skills so much, that can barely clear dried lake... cast on crit good example, can see any use anymore, for whole build type?

Balance is good, but totally killing builds, has lead to situation, that not many options left if want make end-game viable build... atleast not many, if compared to amount of choises there used to be. Nerfing them op ones (nerf, not 100% killshot) would be good for sure, but the way these always are made, is not good I think.

This game's balance team needs to be nerfed, if something... GGG please add some cooldown for their actions as well :I Feels odd, that this "desired state" is in reality: Use this or this or this, not them others.

in general, I agree with you. what I dont agree with is that killing a build necessarily kills build diversity. because killing a super-popular build means people will look for other options and will discover many other builds.

so, if we are given a choice between having a skill/mechanic/build that everyone uses, or skill/mechanic/build that no one uses, I will choose the latter every time. not because I hate op shit (I do, but thats another story), but rather because I want meaningful choice to arise, not a mandatory checkmark. reduced mana as a support gem is a good example of a concept that went from used by everyone to barely used by anyone. and imo it was a very good change. we freed up a slot for other gems, instead of a mandatory choice. same with casters and old EB.
"
grepman wrote:
in general, I agree with you. what I dont agree with is that killing a build necessarily kills build diversity. because killing a super-popular build means people will look for other options and will discover many other builds.

so, if we are given a choice between having a skill/mechanic/build that everyone uses, or skill/mechanic/build that no one uses, I will choose the latter every time. not because I hate op shit (I do, but thats another story), but rather because I want meaningful choice to arise, not a mandatory checkmark. reduced mana as a support gem is a good example of a concept that went from used by everyone to barely used by anyone. and imo it was a very good change. we freed up a slot for other gems, instead of a mandatory choice. same with casters and old EB.

Aye, this is supposed to work like this I suppose, but leads to using same mechanics on most chars, and often because of same reasons. Reflect, for example... good luck for 100% ele dmg builds, or 100% phys... And yes, I know... can use traps/totem/summoner or them few chaos skills, or can take mara or witch, and nerf reflected damage with ascendancies. Or them few dmg conversion uniques. ON EVERY GODDAMN CHAR :I

I also hate op shit, not to mention cookie-cut builds, in theory nerfs are ok... but killing skills/items/entire build types totally while doing it, nothing good in that. When time has passed, I notice more and more often, when planning char, that build will not work... and need rethink then, and more and more often end up using same things on chars. And yes, I know how to make a char that works, but talking about if working with a non-popular skill/build. Game anyways balanced for the OP stuff, rather than for some "medicore-kinda-works"-builds. If aim only to empty dried lake deathless on merc, then I agree, each skill still is usable.

And what comes to reduced mana gem... I bet about as many, who used reduced mana gem before nerf (was used for auras, then worked) now have switched to enlighten. So changed only gem slot colour, and gem name... Not comparable, did not destroy all builds, that use auras.
"
I also hate op shit, not to mention cookie-cut builds, in theory nerfs are ok... but killing skills/items/entire build types totally while doing it, nothing good in that. When time has passed, I notice more and more often, when planning char, that build will not work... and need rethink then, and more and more often end up using same things on chars. And yes, I know how to make a char that works, but talking about if working with a non-popular skill/build. Game anyways balanced for the OP stuff, rather than for some "medicore-kinda-works"-builds. If aim only to empty dried lake deathless on merc, then I agree, each skill still is usable.

The thing is usability is a very odd thing in PoE. If you have a skill named Fireball that is decent and a skill named Ballfire that is 3% better and does basically the same, nobody would use Fireball. And with so many skills in PoE we do have a few that do basically the same thing, just one does it better. Look at Magma Orb and Fireball, they are fairly similar and Magma Orb was just outright better. This league Fireball might get the edge.

Also no, they don't balance for the OP stuff^^. I did play 2 leagues of Chaosstorm trapping and no the game is not balanced for that. You can basically kill anything in the game that has no phase-transsitions with a single trap. One of the reasons why the game is so easy actually is because of those builds and that GGG does not balance around them. If you want a good benchmark of game difficulty, make a Fireballbuild (well maybe not anymore 50% more damage seems like a huge buff) for ranged and just a normal Reave or Cleave build. Those builds are not part of the OP things that were played. And if you move to those builds the game will not only be a bit more challanging the gap between Melee and Ranged isn't that unbearable high anymore... and thats to be expected. If you can oneshot anything anyway it is far easier to do that as ranged char, but if you can't then enemies actually have a chance to deal some damage back.

There are a few skills that were so bad that they are entirely unusable, honestly those are normally sucky spells, like Ice Spear, because Melee skills atleast scale with weapon damage but they still mostly suck and its hard to have fun playing with them.
"

And what comes to reduced mana gem... I bet about as many, who used reduced mana gem before nerf (was used for auras, then worked) now have switched to enlighten. So changed only gem slot colour, and gem name... Not comparable, did not destroy all builds, that use auras.
while I didnt like concept of enlighten, Id argue that the change was still successful.

enlighten is a luxury item now, with cost of leveling and/or corrupting factored in. a level 4 enlighten costs over 5 exalts in new leagues, which is enough currency to gear several budget builds

so the nerf achieved its main goal- people dont plan their builds around enlighten. there are reasons NOT to take enlighten (due to cost) as opposed to zero reasons NOT to take RM in its original state. people definitely built their builds around RM

I used enlighten in maybe one out of my last 10 builds, and only late in the league when I have enough currency to comfortably buy a level 4 one, which is the time my toon is in early 90s and Im just trying to get BiS gear at that point. I ended up using RM almost every build before the awakening.

things that you have zero reason to NOT take, for a wide contigent of builds, need to be addressed immediately imo, as they undermine one of the most important things in the game (meaningful choice)

same with old EB. there was literally no reason for life-based casters to NOT take old EB. now EB is way more niche, and yet its in a much better place.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info