Hardest bosses in video games?

Demifiend in Digital Devil Saga.

Vergil in Devil May Cry 3.

Phantom in Megaman Zero.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942

That guy. A lot of the optional hunts in FF12 were pretty difficult, but that guy took it to a whole new level. Took me several hours to kill him on my winning attempt.

I'd give some honorable mentions to a few of the earlier WoW raids like Sunwell, 0 Light in the darkness Yogg Saron, and pre nerf 25m Lich King as the hardest MMO content I've ever done.
"
Brian_GGG wrote:
That guy. A lot of the optional hunts in FF12 were pretty difficult, but that guy took it to a whole new level. Took me several hours to kill him on my winning attempt.

Took me 4 hours to kill that thing and took away almost all satisfaction from actually beating him.

Hardest boss fight aside from that tedious pain in the ass for me would probably be Lingering Will, Mysterious Figure (PSP version was harder due to PS3 version nerf) or No Heart from Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix. Out of context those fights probably don't look very hard when done by people on a youtube video that have practiced to no end, but when you're playing those battles without previous knowledge you get your ass handed to you so quickly it's not even funny. Took me forever to take them all down on Critical.

Virgil in DMC3 on Dante Must Die on the original NA version gets special mention too.
Last edited by Quelex on Aug 14, 2016, 10:59:56 PM
"
Quelex wrote:

Hardest boss fight aside from that tedious pain in the ass for me would probably be Lingering Will, Mysterious Figure (PSP version was harder due to PS3 version nerf)

So that's why I almost snapped my PSP in half, but my PS3 controller remains unscathed.
"
CJ_GGG wrote:
So that's why I almost snapped my PSP in half, but my PS3 controller remains unscathed.

Yeah his Collision Magnet attack in particular was nerfed. Before, you'd be whipped into the air by his hook and then he'd come up and strike you. It would one shot you since it ignores Second Chance/Once more (It's technically not a combo and the first hit brings you to 1 hp letting the second hit kill you).

In the PS3 version there's more of a delay between the first and second hit so you can use a movement ability to get away and heal.
Hardest bosses that I have experienced are probably FF optional bosses, like FF8's Minotaur, FF7's Weapons (especially Ruby), FF5's Shinryu (which is probably the hardest of all the optional bosses in my opinion). Ultimecia as an end-game boss in FF8 was also a bitch, since all the game relies on G-Forces and she is able to insta-kill them when you're casting them. Took me a while to figure out how to beat her at that time. I also have bad memories of Breath of Fire 3 last boss, Myria.

Hardest bosses I never faced but seem like the most difficult ones are "True Last Boss" from any Danmaku shooters, like Dodonpaichi or Mushihime-Sama, like that one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPLhATu9pU
IGN : @Morgoth
Last edited by Morgoth2356 on Aug 15, 2016, 5:24:21 PM
I had problems with several Souls boss fights, like the Maneater, the Flamelurker, Ornstein & Smough, Manus ect. But none of them forced me to reload as often as i had to do in the Isair&Madae fight in IWD2. Almost lost my sanity in the first run. I think IWD2 was pretty hard in general, it had some pretty difficult encounters and annoying riddles. Man, i hated this fucking forest....
This game is easily the hardest Infinity Engine game(atleast in vanilla) and Iam not even talking about the HoF mode.
Last edited by traax87 on Aug 16, 2016, 11:16:09 PM
I played Icewind Dale 1 and 2 in the Heart of Fury mode from level 1 on.

The trick to pull this of is using a Sorcerer/Druid (something with summons spells) at level 1 summoning minons because they are scaled up as well and then add other party members.

IWD and BG are different in terms of IE games.

IWD let's you create a party and failing there makes the game more difficult.
Also those games leave loopholes and very few fights are punishing wrong spellchoices.

While in theory you can do that in BG series as well you have several NPCs being overstatted.

I played heavily modified versions of BG and BG2 and imo those versions beat HoF mode.

The reason is simple. The modders are experienced players and they removed AI bugs or created encounters with barely any weakness.

Encounters more difficult than the Eclipse encounter in the Solaufein Mod. This way you can see how proper usage of parties in the same levels is.

In the regular game you could just go all out offensive aside from bosses like Kangaxx and win.

I don't know if the enhanced editions added back the original intended difficulty but there were so many clues how stuff was orignally intented and the original difficulty was indeed much harder.

IE you could just do anything even Durlags Tower without any difficulty at low level.

Doing so in intended difficulties made the game quiet challenging. IE BG1 taking the Idol.
1 4k 2 1k Guard in the regular game.

In the original intention like 20 opponents and 10 of them are Phoenix Guards.

"
Hilbert wrote:
I played Icewind Dale 1 and 2 in the Heart of Fury mode from level 1 on.

The trick to pull this of is using a Sorcerer/Druid (something with summons spells) at level 1 summoning minons because they are scaled up as well and then add other party members.

IWD and BG are different in terms of IE games.

IWD let's you create a party and failing there makes the game more difficult.
Also those games leave loopholes and very few fights are punishing wrong spellchoices.

While in theory you can do that in BG series as well you have several NPCs being overstatted.

I played heavily modified versions of BG and BG2 and imo those versions beat HoF mode.

The reason is simple. The modders are experienced players and they removed AI bugs or created encounters with barely any weakness.

Encounters more difficult than the Eclipse encounter in the Solaufein Mod. This way you can see how proper usage of parties in the same levels is.

In the regular game you could just go all out offensive aside from bosses like Kangaxx and win.

I don't know if the enhanced editions added back the original intended difficulty but there were so many clues how stuff was orignally intented and the original difficulty was indeed much harder.

IE you could just do anything even Durlags Tower without any difficulty at low level.

Doing so in intended difficulties made the game quiet challenging. IE BG1 taking the Idol.
1 4k 2 1k Guard in the regular game.

In the original intention like 20 opponents and 10 of them are Phoenix Guards.

I actually think Kangaxx (as well as Sarevok as I said before) were pretty damn good designs. I guess Sarevok can be easier once you install ToSC and have cap raised.

when a mandatory boss can be defeated only by a miniscule subset of strategies in a single player game, I actually think its not a great design.
@Hilbert: I would like to have a in depth discussion about my favourite games,the IE games, especially about the difficulty level, but my english is not really good enough. But i have one simple question, can you recommend other mods for bg2 besides of the weimer classics? I struggle to get them
compatible with each other.
Btw, if we count these mods in, the Solaufein fight in Bodhis chamber is probably one of the most difficult fights i can remember.

@grepman: I dont like the Kangaxx fight, because he is a non threat if you know how to do this fight. If you dont know it, you have basically no chance to beat him.
I like the battle in the Twisted Rune much, much more. This is a really good and demanding fight.
Last edited by traax87 on Aug 17, 2016, 7:04:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info