[2.5] 2600+ Int Whispering Ice Guardian. Wonderous Wizard of Wisdom

Ah yep I see you've put a whole bunch of points into ES on the tree. That makes more sense as a witch as they get damage from their ascendency and then spend points getting defence from tree while the templar gets defense ascendencies and spends its tree points on hybrid nodes.

After playing my Templar I find it hard to go back to the witch/scion though as I still run into bosses and packs that would be fine on my templar forgetting that they don't have his physical mitigation and take twice as much physical damage, both have some nice pros in their favour.

I agree that cast speed is too important while using spell echo, I wouldn't remove faster casting or haste for much and they make everything smoother and are best damage. The swap for concentrated effect is definitely controlled destruction as its the least essential gem and ups the crit chance to high enough to easily have 100% up time on overload.

Concentrated effect isn't really about the 10% more damage though but to shrink the aoe back to a reasonable size as bigger aoe on fire/ice storm result in less damage then your tooltip. Since the damage is so high I don't bother unless I want to show "proper mechanical play", the smaller aoe is also useful against atziri so you don't accidentally hit the mirror form.

For that reason I'm not a fan of the extra aoe that pops up unwanted on the witch though. Not that it matters losing damage with either build its annoying that you can't turn it off in any way and just randomly shows up to give less damage on that boss.

Even with the penetration that the witch gets I think I'd still want to run fire penetration. The lowest value gem in the setup is controlled destruction and I think the pen gem would be more damage for the situations that actually matter, bosses with high ele resists.

If you have all the %Increased Int like I have then it all adds up to be 100% increased Int so acuity gives 160 Int. I did actually buy a pair recently maybe I should update the build as my damage and ES numbers rose a decent amount with it.

I recently ran the lab a few times and got decreased purity of lightning reservation. Currently deciding what to do with that, I've considered adding empower to discipline but it only gives 500 ES which isn't that much and it might be better to add herald of ice or arctic Armour back into the setup

Yeah I've never run a jewel with resistances. Seems like a waste of a jewel socket. I had forgotten that the elementalist gets some resistances from her ascend but you must be getting some cold resistance from somewhere else since your build doesn't get the 15% from frost walker and you don't have the 10% aura effectiveness that templar normally gives to the two purities that give cold resistance
Oh ya after seeing the above post I forgot to mention that in order to cap my cold resist without the 6% aura effective node,(as I took reservation instead) I had to get a lvl 21 purity of element and lvl21 purity of ice and my res is just 81%...

If you got the lab enchant you could consider empower the purity of ice in helm, I think that'll give you extra 1% max res.

Artic armour is good with this build as well, considering we already have some phys reduction from the ascendency and also some armour from acuity.

Goatman boss in gorge leap slamed me and did much less damage than I thought, and I was playing drunk last night and managed to not die and levelled, thanks to AA.
Green_honey_boo_boo is my favourite south park character!

My Goddess Scorned crit ele cleave build @ 1076445
"
turtleken wrote:
Oh ya after seeing the above post I forgot to mention that in order to cap my cold resist without the 6% aura effective node,(as I took reservation instead) I had to get a lvl 21 purity of element and lvl21 purity of ice and my res is just 81%...

If you got the lab enchant you could consider empower the purity of ice in helm, I think that'll give you extra 1% max res.

Artic armour is good with this build as well, considering we already have some phys reduction from the ascendency and also some armour from acuity.

Goatman boss in gorge leap slamed me and did much less damage than I thought, and I was playing drunk last night and managed to not die and levelled, thanks to AA.

Yeah the discipline and purity of ice would be empowered and It actually ups the total to 83% cold resistance. It does seem kinda overkill at that point though.

I'm still trying to vaal a discipline into a level 21 version. Gone through 15 of them so far. At least the failed attempts can be sold for something

Yeah the guardian gets 40% reduction from armour, 7% from radiant faith and the potential 13% from arctic armour, the only physical damage I really notice is from the rigwald in the tier 15 forest map.
Last edited by WaffleT on Sep 30, 2016, 6:38:40 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for the great build. Running my respecced guardian. Unfortunately no legacy items, but the build is strong even without them. Wanted to share with you 2 tricks that allow me to raise my tooltip dps from around 6500 in hideout to > 10,000 in fight.
1. CWDT lvl 1 + Ice Spear + GMP + Inc Crit Strikes. If anyone so much so breathes at you, you get EO proceed instantly. It is always on practically.

2. For my 8 Ascendancy points i chose instant warcry. And boy oh boy. Rallying cry is instant, is free (no manna) and lasts 10 seconds!. That's 200% increased damage and 15 inc cast speed for 10 seconds + 14 mana regen. And all that on a push of a button. I dropped my Clarity, since i do not need it anymore.

Plus 15 move speed on top of my 30. One of the best little discoveries i've made.
"
WaffleT wrote:
Ah yep I see you've put a whole bunch of points into ES on the tree. That makes more sense as a witch as they get damage from their ascendency and then spend points getting defence from tree while the templar gets defense ascendencies and spends its tree points on hybrid nodes.

After playing my Templar I find it hard to go back to the witch/scion though as I still run into bosses and packs that would be fine on my templar forgetting that they don't have his physical mitigation and take twice as much physical damage, both have some nice pros in their favour.

I agree that cast speed is too important while using spell echo, I wouldn't remove faster casting or haste for much and they make everything smoother and are best damage. The swap for concentrated effect is definitely controlled destruction as its the least essential gem and ups the crit chance to high enough to easily have 100% up time on overload.

Concentrated effect isn't really about the 10% more damage though but to shrink the aoe back to a reasonable size as bigger aoe on fire/ice storm result in less damage then your tooltip. Since the damage is so high I don't bother unless I want to show "proper mechanical play", the smaller aoe is also useful against atziri so you don't accidentally hit the mirror form.

For that reason I'm not a fan of the extra aoe that pops up unwanted on the witch though. Not that it matters losing damage with either build its annoying that you can't turn it off in any way and just randomly shows up to give less damage on that boss.

Even with the penetration that the witch gets I think I'd still want to run fire penetration. The lowest value gem in the setup is controlled destruction and I think the pen gem would be more damage for the situations that actually matter, bosses with high ele resists.

If you have all the %Increased Int like I have then it all adds up to be 100% increased Int so acuity gives 160 Int. I did actually buy a pair recently maybe I should update the build as my damage and ES numbers rose a decent amount with it.

I recently ran the lab a few times and got decreased purity of lightning reservation. Currently deciding what to do with that, I've considered adding empower to discipline but it only gives 500 ES which isn't that much and it might be better to add herald of ice or arctic Armour back into the setup

Yeah I've never run a jewel with resistances. Seems like a waste of a jewel socket. I had forgotten that the elementalist gets some resistances from her ascend but you must be getting some cold resistance from somewhere else since your build doesn't get the 15% from frost walker and you don't have the 10% aura effectiveness that templar normally gives to the two purities that give cold resistance

Ya you pick your battles. Reflect is a non issue with the Witch thanks to the ascendancy points giving her 58% reduced damage taken from reflect (50% from reflect and 8% from elemental damage taken). Coupled with WM, which is always triggered upon reflect, that also gives her 4% leech. I can do reflect maps and almost prefer that mod since it floods the map with WM. Almost wish there was a way to trigger reflect so I could plague the entire map with the curse. The mana leech makes things easier too. I have outleeched regular Atziri without so much as my ES moving and she basically one shots my juggernaut who has 8.5k life with her mirror (and he leeches some 6.5% from physical). The only time I've seen it compromised was when I ran a map with 18% reflect, -15 to max resists and elemental weakness. And this was before running all the purities with Shav's so I only had the 75% cap.

I'll have to look at the cold resist but I didn't use any on my jewels and have the 142% from the accompanying level 21 purity (all my purities are 21).

The Scion is great because you can build her with culling strike and that helps heap loads with tough bosses. She also has it easy when it comes to resists, far easier than the witch. Unfortunately she doesn't really have much else. The added 10% damage multiplier is nice but it's still just not enough to bring her on par with the other classes. The nerf to leech means you have to run LL anyway, a shame they nerfed it. Having another gem socket open would have made the class pretty enticing. I guess I leveled the wrong class lol.

The lack of phys resistance is the only weakness for the witch. Having two golems helps buttress that deficiency a lot however as even bosses tend to target them far more than me. With 3 ECs I walk around with 15% phys and that's enough for most instances, but I'd like to have at least a base of 25-30%. That seems like the most economical value from my testing as phys resistance scales so badly that anyone that will one shot you at 35% will one shot you at 70%. But I am running AA so I guess that helps a fair bit too, provided I'm stationary when attacked.
Deliver pain exquisite
Last edited by ultratiem on Oct 1, 2016, 12:29:24 AM
"
WaffleT wrote:

Yeah the discipline and purity of ice would be empowered and It actually ups the total to 83% cold resistance. It does seem kinda overkill at that point though.

I'm still trying to vaal a discipline into a level 21 version. Gone through 15 of them so far. At least the failed attempts can be sold for something

Yeah the guardian gets 40% reduction from armour, 7% from radiant faith and the potential 13% from arctic armour, the only physical damage I really notice is from the rigwald in the tier 15 forest map.

I think it's fun to overkill :) might try this when I get a lab enchant instead of fitting in HoI. I read on poe db that shaper does mostly cold and some fire, so maybe this will be perfect for that and gives a little more room for error.

I have dropped conc effect for faster casting at the moment, your suggestion of dropping controlled destruction sounds a good one too, will need to test it out later.

Rallying cry is a fantasic idea by diablomig, movespeed along is worth it haha, and extra dmg / cast speed never hurts. Was thinking the block ascendency is kinda meh anyway. With 3.2k mana and shyforth, whats gonna stun me will probably kill me regardless.

Having taken a semi break from the game, damn this build gets me excited again. Please dont let this get featured on build of the week, else it will get nerfed so hard since its that op.
Green_honey_boo_boo is my favourite south park character!

My Goddess Scorned crit ele cleave build @ 1076445
Last edited by turtleken on Sep 30, 2016, 10:46:31 PM
"
turtleken wrote:

I think it's fun to overkill :) might try this when I get a lab enchant instead of fitting in HoI. I read on poe db that shaper does mostly cold and some fire, so maybe this will be perfect for that and gives a little more room for error.

I have dropped conc effect for faster casting at the moment, your suggestion of dropping controlled destruction sounds a good one too, will need to test it out later.

Rallying cry is a fantasic idea by diablomig, movespeed along is worth it haha, and extra dmg / cast speed never hurts. Was thinking the block ascendency is kinda meh anyway. With 3.2k mana and shyforth, whats gonna stun me will probably kill me regardless.

Having taken a semi break from the game, damn this build gets me excited again. Please dont let this get featured on build of the week, else it will get nerfed so hard since its that op.

I value cast speed very highly, it doesn't show up in tooltip but faster casting, haste and the cast speed from the tree really help with the flow

I put a warcry as an option in the gems section and mentioned that prayer of glory is good. Even though I know its better I hate temporary buffs and also don't want to lose gem slots so I'm still being stubborn about it.

I'd still recommend using at least a level 1 clarity as it gives 1% physical damage reduction for practically nothing and helps reserve that extra life or mana to give more armour or ES.
"
WaffleT wrote:
"
turtleken wrote:

Remember, the more Max res you have, the more valuble more +max res is. I'd say getting your purities to 23 is the best use of empower.

"
diablomig wrote:
Hey guys. Thanks for the great build. Running my respecced guardian. Unfortunately no legacy items, but the build is strong even without them. Wanted to share with you 2 tricks that allow me to raise my tooltip dps from around 6500 in hideout to > 10,000 in fight.
1. CWDT lvl 1 + Ice Spear + GMP + Inc Crit Strikes. If anyone so much so breathes at you, you get EO proceed instantly. It is always on practically.

2. For my 8 Ascendancy points i chose instant warcry. And boy oh boy. Rallying cry is instant, is free (no manna) and lasts 10 seconds!. That's 200% increased damage and 15 inc cast speed for 10 seconds + 14 mana regen. And all that on a push of a button. I dropped my Clarity, since i do not need it anymore.

Plus 15 move speed on top of my 30. One of the best little discoveries i've made.

Actually recently = 4 seconds, you only have the prayer of glory part for 4 seconds. It is good.
Last edited by Drahnier123 on Oct 1, 2016, 5:47:10 AM
Which 2 from this 3 are best to take ? Bastion of hope , time of need or prayer of glory ? ( prayer of glory last only 4 seconds but you can use the skill every 4 seconds so if you like its a permanent 15% cast and movement speed )
"
DBB2003 wrote:
Which 2 from this 3 are best to take ? Bastion of hope , time of need or prayer of glory ? ( prayer of glory last only 4 seconds but you can use the skill every 4 seconds so if you like its a permanent 15% cast and movement speed )

Glory is the best if you can be bothered doing that. if you can't just take another. Bastion of hope is better but time of need is a considerable buff in curse maps, considering you should be doing a lot of curse maps in endgame.
Last edited by Drahnier123 on Oct 1, 2016, 6:43:29 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info