Game Mechanics - Questions and Answers

"
Does Flask effectiveness increase the 2% life leech from Chaos Damage on Atziri's Promise, the Onslaught from Silver Flask or the Increased Critical Strike Chance from Diamond Flask?

As above - yes, except for Onslaught, which is not a numerical property, but a boolean state. A character either does or does not have Onslaught, and 20% increased "having Onslaught" is still having it.

Umm... Diamond Flask gives "Lucky", not an increased crit chance and therefore can't be increased in effectiveness, right?
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
"
I'd like a clarification on the damage calculation for skills. Am I understanding it correctly that it goes like: Net Damage = ([Base Damage * Sum of Increased Damage Modifiers] * Product of More Damage Modifiers)

This part is roughly correct, yes.

I always thought damage was calculated as:

[Base Damage * (1 + Sum of Increased Damage Modifiers)] * [1 + Sum of More Damage Modifiers]
Nope. It is more like
(Base Damage + flat damage bonuses) * (1 + SumOf(Increased Damage Modifier)) * ProductOf(1 + More Damage Modifier)
For each element. Also, there are conversions... seriously, just read the wiki, it has great examples there.

"
"
Does Flask effectiveness increase the 2% life leech from Chaos Damage on Atziri's Promise, the Onslaught from Silver Flask or the Increased Critical Strike Chance from Diamond Flask?

As above - yes, except for Onslaught, which is not a numerical property, but a boolean state. A character either does or does not have Onslaught, and 20% increased "having Onslaught" is still having it.

Umm... Diamond Flask gives "Lucky", not an increased crit chance and therefore can't be increased in effectiveness, right?
Lucky is a boolean state like Onslaught so my guess is yes, it can't be "improved".

And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
"
I'd like a clarification on the damage calculation for skills. Am I understanding it correctly that it goes like: Net Damage = ([Base Damage * Sum of Increased Damage Modifiers] * Product of More Damage Modifiers)

This part is roughly correct, yes.

I always thought damage was calculated as:

[Base Damage * (1 + Sum of Increased Damage Modifiers)] * [1 + Sum of More Damage Modifiers]

Separate "More" modifiers are multiplicative with each other as well. That's why they are so good. (Take for example your main attack that deals 10k damage: Assuming you already have one or more support gems linked that give "more" damage and you add another support gem that gives 40% more damage for that attack - your tooltip will increase to 14k. If more modifiers stacked additively you'd observe a smaller damage increase.)

"
solidghost wrote:
"
Is there a maximum range I need to be within of monsters killed (by me) to gain experience?

Yes. Experience for a kill is assigned to players within range, regardless of whether any of those players are the ones which killed it.

Errrr....GGG not answering the question.

Q: Is there a maximum range [...]?
A: Yes.

I don't see your problem. If anything it is the question that needs improvement.

"

I'm pretty sure that "Lucky" is just another boolean state like Onslaught. So 20% increased "Lucky" is still just "Lucky". Also Mark stated that all numerical values are affected - "Lucky" is not exactly numerical.

"
jsovetky wrote:
In short, at what points do monsters and bosses change their tooltip from 'resist X' to no tooltip to 'vulnerable to X' damage tooltips underneath their names?

The switch most likely happens when the monster's resistance crosses 0%. But I do not know whether there is a range where the tooltip doesn't show anything...

"
jsovetky wrote:
Also, how does the negative resistance work in terms of bonus/extra/more damage? Brief numbers in examples would be very nice.

Pretty straighforward (same as with player resistances): Positive resistances reduce incoming damage. Negative resistances increase incoming damage.
So from a hit that deals 100 fire damage, a monster would take:
100*(1-0.2)=80 fire damage, while it has 20% fire resistances OR
100*(1+0.2)=120 fire damage, while it has -20% fire resistances.
Crit happens.
"
jsovetky wrote:
So, this is a bit of a long, multi part question.

To start with, i'm running a good old AoF build on Templar. Damage dealt aside, my Infernal blow skill is linked with a +36% fire res pen, and I am also running two auras, Flammability and Elemental Weakness. While I know the total effects stack, i'm wondering if we can get the base numbers of basic monsters, because I noticed that most if not all non-act bosses receive the tooltip 'vulnerable to (elemental or fire) damage', but act bosses receive neither vulnerable nor neutral, maintaining resists to the damage.

In short, at what points do monsters and bosses change their tooltip from 'resist X' to no tooltip to 'vulnerable to X' damage tooltips underneath their names?

Also, how does the negative resistance work in terms of bonus/extra/more damage? Brief numbers in examples would be very nice.

Besides the answer above, it's also worth noting that your Fire Penetration gem is not counting to making monsters "vulnerable", only your curses do, as fire pen is just cutting through what resists the monsters have rather than lowering them. And act bosses typically have maxed resists, so even double curses might not be enough to fully cancel them out.

Imagine, for instance, that monsters showed their resistances above their heads. Your curses would reduce that number and, at some point when its below zero, they'd be "vulnerable". However, your fire pen wouldn't affect that number - it doesn't change anything about the monsters' own characteristics. Rather it just sort of 'ignores' that % of their resists when calculating the damage they take FROM YOU/YOUR SKILL. This works on negative resists as well, of course, so they're still taking more damage with penetration.

But their own properties haven't changed, only your damage is bypassing part of it. You can see this when playing in parties - cursed monsters will take more damage from all party members, yet penetration will only benefit you. As such, it isn't taken into account when determining if they're "vulnerable".
Last edited by Exile009 on Jun 28, 2016, 4:26:45 AM
Now that they've all been cleared here, please don't post any more questions here, ppl. GGG just made a thread for that - use it! ^_^
"
Chris wrote:
time stops passing for things outside the player's wake range

proven by Quantum Physics: world doesn’t exist when we don't see it
"
We recently started a new thread on our forums where players can asked game mechanics questions and Mark, one of our veteran gameplay programmers, periodically answers them as best he can.

Please fix this spelling it looks very bad.
So after seeing "damage done" (to target) variable being a modified (by dmg reduction modifiers) version of "damage able to do" variable (calculated from players/monsters base dmg and increased and more modifiers) my question is:

Is the life leech effect applied only to actual "damage done" (after all the targets dmg mitigation/reductions) ?

Because it feels this way.
Latest guides:
3.11 Loki's Rainbownuke:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2904155
3.7 CI CoC Discharge: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2605608
3.7 Juggernaut life Mjolner: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1846362
"
RicoKGB wrote:
Is the life leech effect applied only to actual "damage done" (after all the targets dmg mitigation/reductions)?

Of course.

Questions should go in Gameplay Help/Discussion, not announcement threads :P
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jun 28, 2016, 5:54:48 AM
Big work, man

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info