2.3.0 Changes to the High-level Experience Equation

"
Chris wrote:

In the future, we'll release content that has a higher monster level than level 84.

Act 5 confirmed !!!!!
Everyone, grab your frog-shaped tin foil hats !!!
"Teamwork is OP"
-The one and only one Dark_Reaper115 at your service.
Here's an effective formula. Set a specific % of level completed according to each map tier, and relate the possible % complete to time it takes to complete. make difficulty adjust according to players average damage output and durability.

This can limit the speed freaks from finishing miles ahead of the current bar. You must find the time frame according to the average player's map completion time, not the average time of the speed freaks. Sure, they'll still clear maps quickly, and get drops, but this formula makes it more challenging for those who are racing to beat each other to 100.

I can provide more detail about the formula specifics if interested.
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
Last edited by Hellcat5 on Jun 28, 2016, 2:37:24 PM
"
Flubby wrote:
slow down lvl 100 progression = GREAT. It was always a grind and a grind that should be hard and GRINDY. You already get everything for free, uber gets cleared at lvl 80, most meta builds cost 50c and are finished hard. Xping is the only thing left for ppl that actually wanna play a grind.

What is absolutely wrong though is the over emphasis of ep in yellow maps. Make that grind red not yellow or even better introduce black and make it black. If mods and hp and therefore danger increase by roughly 30% in reds there absolutely must be a solid reason to run red.With item rewards already handed out like cocaine in columbia at least limit ep.

This change is the only reason i have not yet deleted poe for the hope that next patch finally ups mob ep times 10 and mob damage times 2 on top of hard ep curves to finally get anything close to a hard grind again. Atm this game feels more like d3 then what used to be poe and if thats the case one might as well take an optimised engine that doesnt half ones fps on top tier machines because one guy uses a skill.

And to all those omg u took my lvl 100 chance guys ... jeeez get used to lvl 90 again game is broken and easy enough there already. And yes i have a job wife and some friends to care for and still manage to play 100....

Huge fan of the labyrinth too? Does it have too few traps and too few zones to work through?
"
Chris wrote:
[..]bragging right more than absolute power. The marginal benefits of the last few passive skill points are low[..]

This kind of thinking will get you into a lot of trouble. You can not get into heads of every individual player and know what they are thinking. There are dozens of builds that people simply wont play because they need too many points to make it worthwhile. Now you're referring to last 3 or 4 passive points but the changes are much broader than that and you acknowledge that. Just as a remainder.

"
Chris wrote:
We've found that players who aim for max level enjoy a harder grind to reach this goal. The harder grind also more clearly signals to players who like building alternate characters roughly when to reroll.

A fundamental problem exists, however. I don't want a completely mindless Arid Lake and Gorge grind for a week or two to get to level 100. I would much rather have engaging content. The tools are already in place. We're essentially designing our own end-game with rolling maps. All you have to do is fix it so it actually rewards difficulty.

As for rerolling characters - considering what was said before, there are a few issues with this idea or, rather, thought process. If you follow the thought of simply playing a new character every time you hit the wall of artificial experience penalties, you only fuel the 'meta' problem and in result you have players who will simply quit the league after having played the 'OP' build if the league is not engaging.

I understand that fresh/unique league economy is unpredictable but there are a lot of things to learn from Talisman, Perandus and Prophecy leagues, and there is a very clear pattern going on when certain build-enabling items are available to the average player and when they are not. (although I can only speak for myself and you have all the numbers to prove me otherwise)

This also raises my concern about actual end-game content. While we can design our own difficulty by rolling crazy maps, to be frank, we only have uber Atziri as a consistent bar of testing abilities of our characters. While having specific builds for each content like uber Atziri or uber Labyrinth is fine, I believe every build should at least have a chance to tackle the hardest content in the game.

"
Chris wrote:
We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.

How about not binding the two together? Don't let a certain philosophy cripple both aspects of the game. Race season has it's place and demand, meanwhile casual players couldn't care less about it. Having acknowledged that players who like racing find out the most efficient ways anyway, why punish players who have nothing to do with it and(I am assuming) are the larger player population?

What about having a 2 week race season at end of each league as a standard? The most efficient build will be known, but the cost of getting items for that specific build will be incredibly high for this race. This would then breed strategy, what map mods(considering 'grind' is made less numb) you can run and how much of your income you'll have to invest into rolling maps.
Last edited by this_name_already_exists on Jun 28, 2016, 3:18:36 PM
Yes i am happy !

I was hoping on a manifesto that addresses the issue of lvl 100 in perandus was too easy
Bad Seed
"
DarkWap wrote:
1. increase the number of maps' mods which give pack size
2. increase exp gained in red maps by a lot (2-3x)
3. hard cap to 0 the exp gained from lvl 95+ chars in maps lower than t11-12

sign
Ingame @FlubbyEverywhere domination or @Flubbyy default
Massive dmg spectral throw guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/705757/
Old anarchy rich poeple specc: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/508331 (Flickercharge low life ele cleave)
"
UnleashedPoE wrote:
"
Flubby wrote:
slow down lvl 100 progression = GREAT. It was always a grind and a grind that should be hard and GRINDY. You already get everything for free, uber gets cleared at lvl 80, most meta builds cost 50c and are finished hard. Xping is the only thing left for ppl that actually wanna play a grind.

What is absolutely wrong though is the over emphasis of ep in yellow maps. Make that grind red not yellow or even better introduce black and make it black. If mods and hp and therefore danger increase by roughly 30% in reds there absolutely must be a solid reason to run red.With item rewards already handed out like cocaine in columbia at least limit ep.

This change is the only reason i have not yet deleted poe for the hope that next patch finally ups mob ep times 10 and mob damage times 2 on top of hard ep curves to finally get anything close to a hard grind again. Atm this game feels more like d3 then what used to be poe and if thats the case one might as well take an optimised engine that doesnt half ones fps on top tier machines because one guy uses a skill.

And to all those omg u took my lvl 100 chance guys ... jeeez get used to lvl 90 again game is broken and easy enough there already. And yes i have a job wife and some friends to care for and still manage to play 100....

Huge fan of the labyrinth too? Does it have too few traps and too few zones to work through?

lab is an utter failure. Its not hard and you don't use your char clearing it but play a jump and run to finally wait 10 sec for izzaro to pop up then jump and run again. no Fun whatsoever. But what else is mapping these days with movement skills destroying the mobs already. And thats imho a problem. I recently watched some old vids from 2-300 ex speccs that were at the time ungodly fast compared to the rest out there. Guess what those old speeds look like timelapse slowed down today and any 50c specc outperforms them by a factor of 2-3 and imho thats a sad thing for anyone that likes building strong highend chars (tha is many of those high lvl character players).
Ingame @FlubbyEverywhere domination or @Flubbyy default
Massive dmg spectral throw guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/705757/
Old anarchy rich poeple specc: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/508331 (Flickercharge low life ele cleave)
"
Chris wrote:
The race to level 100 in Path of Exile is not meant to be fast. The upper echelons of player level in Path of Exile are about bragging right more than absolute power. The marginal benefits of the last few passive skill points are low, and there currently aren't any items that require level 97 to equip.

Getting to 100 is not fast. At all. What are you talking about? Can you explain to me how fast it takes a player to get to level 100 player if they were playing 6 hours a day? What, over in ten days? You mean streamers? People who play non stop? Why is your player base suffering because of this?

What are you talking about its not about power? Its absolutely is, dont tell me why I am playing the game. Sure I dont care about getting to level 100, but you just nerfed 70 to low 90's. Why am I suffering because of people who race to level 100 and why does it matter?

Do you care about marketing or do you care about your game?
IGN JimansNotSummoner
Isn't this why games eventually add an end-game component featuring horizontal progression, after the community interest begins to wane, while criticizing vertical game progression as becoming too tedious.

Hey look at me, I'm from the future. lol
Last edited by Redfeather_1975 on Jun 28, 2016, 4:23:28 PM
It only makes players play more 'safe' builds than builds they actually have fun with and want to play. Sad.

IMO, I see lvl 100 the same as I see the 1,200 kill 'achivement' these days. It's like getting a big black sharpie and putting large a L on your forehead for all to see. Simply wasting enough time isn't an achievement, its sad :/ (Again, my opinion.)

"Hey brah, I spent more time playing than you, I'm 1337er than you!"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info