2.3.0 Changes to the High-level Experience Equation

Finally we got some hard data...but this entire thread makes me a Sad Panda.

There isn't much more I can add...but to agree 110% that this last exp nerf was a huge step backwards for the game.

There has to be some equilibrium so the top tier streamers can do their thing while not kicking the rest of us square in the nuts in the process.

We had some great threads going before the last patch encouraging each other to keep grinding for higher levels. I had quit with my highest character at 94 but getting to know the other folks in the thread inspired me to keep going. I had to revamp my gear, gems and play style and in the process I learned a lot more about this game. I met some interesting folks, ended up getting to Lv 97 and had a lot of fun in the process. Yes, high level grinding is tedious for a solo player, but having a community around to support each other made this process a lot more enjoyable.

The recent exp nerf just about killed these threads off. We had a few veterans and new players all sharing their thoughts/ideas/experiences on the high level grind. Isn't this what PoE is supposed to be about - community, challenge and character building? Again, this cool and emerging little micro community was killed off before it really got started. Many of us (myself included) gave up grinding for more levels altogether. I have no more motivation to even try with any of my characters at this point.

We've spoken, GGG. Are you going to listen?

#BuffReds2016
"
Darkkrows wrote:
"
Chris wrote:
We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.
Then you guys should implement Exp fatigue system. The faster the exp a player gain, the more exp penalty he will receive.(and you balance this system around the top players) They still can race within the fatigue system, exp bar still move just slower.

quite a number of MMO implement this trick to stop the no-lifer from leveling 1 character too quick & this system does not punish the more casual players who do not have 14-16hours a day to play the game but still wanted to go max level & have some progression.

100% this.

This exp change is the worst thing to happen in the last few leagues.

You guys clearly don't understand your playerbase at all.

Stop making the game worse for 98% of us to try to "fix problems" that are solely in the top 1%

Also, for a game that is typically very deliberate and honest in its mechanics, this whole actual level differing from "effective level" thing is incredibly stupid.

Also, please let me know which players you've discovered that enjoy this longer grind, because from my perspective this league has the lowest turnout of serious players yet. Tons of regulars are nowhere to be seen... must be because the game is more fun like this.
Team Won
"
Voroseeg wrote:
The race to 100 was never fast, you just nerfed it based on the streamers that played the game 24/7 with top gear, OP meta builds and +30% packsize Gorge rotations.

This is so true. Because some people get everything they need 3 days in the league and rush lvl 100 in no time, ggg wants to nerf everyone but HEY maybe you should realize that there will always be some people breaking the game at some point.

Getting 1 to 2% xp per map past lvl 92ish is just boring. Let the racers and rmters get their lvl 100 in no time and let the other 99% of the playerbase have some fun in your fuc*ing game.

God damn, sometimes I wonder why I buy some packs if the result is as bad as this. Your decision making can be so horrendous sometimes, it's ridiculous.
slow down lvl 100 progression = GREAT. It was always a grind and a grind that should be hard and GRINDY. You already get everything for free, uber gets cleared at lvl 80, most meta builds cost 50c and are finished hard. Xping is the only thing left for ppl that actually wanna play a grind.

What is absolutely wrong though is the over emphasis of ep in yellow maps. Make that grind red not yellow or even better introduce black and make it black. If mods and hp and therefore danger increase by roughly 30% in reds there absolutely must be a solid reason to run red.With item rewards already handed out like cocaine in columbia at least limit ep.

This change is the only reason i have not yet deleted poe for the hope that next patch finally ups mob ep times 10 and mob damage times 2 on top of hard ep curves to finally get anything close to a hard grind again. Atm this game feels more like d3 then what used to be poe and if thats the case one might as well take an optimised engine that doesnt half ones fps on top tier machines because one guy uses a skill.

And to all those omg u took my lvl 100 chance guys ... jeeez get used to lvl 90 again game is broken and easy enough there already. And yes i have a job wife and some friends to care for and still manage to play 100....
Ingame @FlubbyEverywhere domination or @Flubbyy default
Massive dmg spectral throw guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/705757/
Old anarchy rich poeple specc: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/508331 (Flickercharge low life ele cleave)
Map Tileset and Map Tier need to be independent, SET MY MAPS FREE GGG !
IGN @VOC

See all my reddit posts (even the shadowbanned ones)

https://www.reddit.com/user/minescsm/
"
Jentry wrote:
I mapped as support this league with a few of the top 5 PSC players to hit 100. While I understand and agree with the stimulus which Chris & GGG have for these exp changes, I advocate that the chosen methodology of implementation has exacerbated disincentives to running endgame challenging content, and has reinforced the pervasively growing speed mapping meta which detracts from the fun, challenge, and loot of the highest tier map content in Path of Exile.

In PSC, and progressively for a number of development cycles since the overhaul of map modifiers, the players I see successfully pushing the ladder are speed running mid tier maps (Tier 9-12) in lieu of playing content appropriate for their ability.

I think it is critical to expound upon what I mean by "Speed Running" because it is a playstyle that I only observe in this tiny niche of the POE community. Builds, groups, and Map Rolling revolve around the ability to one shot every monster in the chosen tier of maps, the vast majority of loot is disabled and ignored, and there is significant priority given to sustaining obscenely high Movement Speed.

The gravitation towards this Movespeed=Clearspeed, nodowntimeinstapopmapaftermapinonehideout, playstyle is Phrenetic. For me it has detracted a good deal from the depth and enrichment of what Path of Exile once was because this "Efficiency Mapping" incentives players to actively ignore many aspects of the Game Design and map in Cliques or small groups of like minded players, or Solo in this style to achieve ladder position.

While there has always been a no-life element to the POE ladder, these changes further skew towards the extreme.

I do not fault the players for adapting, responding, to the GGG changes in this fashion. As Chris and GGG has pointed out many times, the playerbase, even in the absence of "Access to Information" on many of the mathematical fine points of the game, the players are becoming ever more efficient at MinMaxing their builds and their playstyle.

The tier 9-12 maps are sustainable indefinitely with minimal currency investment and can be run at max speed with negligible risk to grind exp. Higher tier maps are not sustainable and require currency investment that doesn't return maps or appropriate reward to the risk and differential time it takes to run them (except maybe for the first week of the league). The risks in the highest end maps often appear in Spiky forms, and are not a elegant counterbalance to play skill but rather a direct developer response to expected meta and playstyle.

As more and more players and groups gravitate to this playstyle, they also withdraw, in my experience, from the broader community, trading, crafting, social aspect of POE. The SpeedMapping meta being sustainable as a solo playstyle or clique playstyle supports a narrow band focus on the "Game". It is so much more efficient at accomplishing the niche goal of pushing the ladder that traditional mapping feels slow and wasteful. It is more difficult to make new friends to play with as the lightspeed jump from normal mapping to "SpeedMapping" is very jarring for new players, or longtime players who have never pushed ladder in this fashion. This, by design, has created a, barrier to entry, a monumental disincentive to players who consider jumping into the ladder race.

Basically, what I am arguing here, is to push the ladder these days, you either have to go it alone, or conform to the very narrow and xenophobic speed meta, and it just instantly trashes so much of the richness and depth of an awesome game and encourages elitism as a zeitgeist. I don't think it is healthy or sustainable for the long term of the community.

VOC

One of the best parts of this game is the social interaction. While I feel its important not to limit players options, I believe that social play should be encouraged. I don't have an issue with raising xp penalties as the race to 100 needed to be made more challenging. Seems to me when I started playing the first 100 was somewhere after the 2 month mark.

A couple ideas..

Its time to add party xp bonuses. Working together as a team should be both encouraged and rewarded.

Some guild functionality should be added. Guild xp bonuses for meeting certain criteria and maybe guild ladders.

Please consider what VOC said GGG staff.
Then realize it matches the community's opinion.
"
Chris wrote:
The race to level 100 in Path of Exile is not meant to be fast. The upper echelons of player level in Path of Exile are about bragging right more than absolute power. The marginal benefits of the last few passive skill points are low, and there currently aren't any items that require level 97 to equip.

Over time, players have become both better at building characters, better at playing to maximise experience and have more powerful tools at their disposal. The race to 100 gets faster and faster each league.

To compensate for this, we have periodically applied changes to the experience equation to slow down the top players reaching 100. Sometimes we apply changes that intentionally slow a larger band of players down, but this is due to our dissatisfaction with their leveling speed also. As we have seen this league, players are still able to reach high levels rather quickly.

We didn't go into detail about the specifics of the 2.3.0 experience change in the patch notes. This was an oversight. The details are as follows:

We reduced the effective level of endgame areas for the purposes of the experience equation. The below chart lists the monster level of the area, what the level is for the experience penalty before 2.3.0, and then the effective level after 2.3.0. You can see the details of the experience penalty equation on the Path of Exile wiki (http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Experience).

Level 70: 70 -> 70
Level 71: 71 -> 70.94
Level 72: 72 -> 71.82
Level 73: 73 -> 72.64
Level 74: 74 -> 73.4
Level 75: 75 -> 74.1
Level 76: 76 -> 74.74
Level 77: 76.9 -> 75.32
Level 78: 77.7 -> 75.84
Level 79: 78.4 -> 76.3
Level 80: 79 -> 76.7
Level 81: 79.5 -> 77.04
Level 82: 79.9 -> 77.32
Level 83: 80.1 -> 77.54
Level 84: 80.2 -> 77.7

We've found that players who aim for max level enjoy a harder grind to reach this goal. The harder grind also more clearly signals to players who like building alternate characters roughly when to reroll.

In the future, we'll release content that has a higher monster level than level 84. This would make the race to 100 even faster. We'll probably apply experience penalties directly to the upper levels themselves rather than continuing to drop the effective area levels for experience. For example, maybe it'll take 50% longer to reach level 100 from level 99, but the experience gain of lower-level players would be unadjusted. This depends a lot on the specific level of content that comes out in future releases. We want to strike a good balance between rewarding progression and a race to 100 that isn't over in ten days each league.

All I am asking for is that you make red maps more viable than gorges for players in the high 90's. I want to see an end to the gorge chains and a beginning to people grouping together to get the most out of their red maps(I play completely solo now and forever though.)
No one cares about standard. It's literally a recycle bin, just press empty.
1. increase the number of maps' mods which give pack size
2. increase exp gained in red maps by a lot (2-3x)
3. hard cap to 0 the exp gained from lvl 95+ chars in maps lower than t11-12

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info