Evasion is cancer

Then dont get it OP. Those of us who understand how OP it is will continue to take it. Especially for just 5 nodes on tree and some atziri steps half the attacks and spells in game completely miss you. Actually Evasion/Dodge need a nerf if anything has best price performance in the game on defensive end.

There is a little keystone right by ranger called Iron Reflex that will convert all your supposedly bad evasion to Armor.

Your next post will be "armor is cancer" though until you understand layering
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 24, 2016, 5:51:29 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
_Zerk_ wrote:
Yup... tried my first eva based character... never again :)

40-50% eva with 40% dodge is just not enough.

Why eva works in other games is cause u can get it to 80-90% and it will reliably work.

PS: block is king forever.

lol? block and evasion are functionally identical. So one cant be better or worse than the other. 50% evasion = 50% block. you probably just didnt have anything backing up your evasion which is why you think it bad. Any mitigation? HP? Flasks? so when damage does come through you can take it?

75\75 block is being backed up by 10k+ ES, doesn't need to layer nothing else, all u need is 3 points on tree and Rumi.

What's backing up 50% eva and 40% dodge? 6k hp at best? mh, get em mitigation flasks and such etc etc. Plus eva and dodge are 2 separate rolls one of which is mob accuracy based lol.

Eva is shit cause u need to invest a lot in other defenses to stay alive to make it work, with block all u need is stupid ES pool and u are good to go.

This is why after my ES characters each having from 10 to 12k ES LL or CI, I feel like 6k hp eva char is garbage at surviving.

Maybe I'm spoiled by block and ES but that's not my fault, it's the game designers fault.
-Forever Casual-
IGN: Zzerk
Last edited by _Zerk_ on Jun 24, 2016, 5:59:23 PM
"
_Zerk_ wrote:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
"
_Zerk_ wrote:
Yup... tried my first eva based character... never again :)

40-50% eva with 40% dodge is just not enough.

Why eva works in other games is cause u can get it to 80-90% and it will reliably work.

PS: block is king forever.

lol? block and evasion are functionally identical. So one cant be better or worse than the other. 50% evasion = 50% block. you probably just didnt have anything backing up your evasion which is why you think it bad. Any mitigation? HP? Flasks? so when damage does come through you can take it?

75\75 block is being backed up by 10k+ ES, doesn't need to layer nothing else, all u need is 3 points on tree and Rumi.

What's backing up 50% eva and 40% dodge? 6k hp at best? mh, get em mitigation flasks and such etc etc. Plus eva and dodge are 2 separate rolls one of which is mob accuracy based lol.

Eva is shit cause u need to invest a lot in other defenses to stay alive to make it work, with block all u need is stupid ES pool and u are good to go.

This is why after my ES characters each having from 10 to 12k ES LL or CI, I feel like 6k hp eva char is garbage at surviving.

Maybe I'm spoiled by block and ES but that's not my fault, it's the game designers fault.

Why not try 50% evasion and 10K ES. Apples to apples.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1526988
Git R Dun!
aim, maybe you should actually start playing an evasion char maybe?

your highest ranger is 78. unskilled and unequipped sadly.
actually none of your (skilled/equipped) chars uses evasion.
all your skilled shadows go to the other side of the tree.

i don't know what you base your comments on.

as a bow ranger it really isn't that easy.
i can't use fortify.
it makes no sense to use endurance charges. (as you try to keep the mobs at range)
arctic armour is tricky as most of the time i'm moving but probably one of the better choices.
vaal grace might help but is still a gamble.
basalt flask is also one of the better choices. still there are situation you can't keep it up.

T1/atziri uniques should not be necessary for a base mechanic to work (aka not die).

also a thing you keep in mind. i don't play standard where i have several legacy uniques i could use. also i like the challenge of using the things i find. means: i don't trade for OP items.
ofc. if you obliterate everything from offscreen and pretty much oneshot bosses you are fine anyway! but this doesn't prove that evasion is fine.

edit:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

where does this guy even use evasion?
he just recommends ev/es hybrid chests because you need green sokets for this build.
do you even know how much you need to invest to even get to 50% evasion? ...

edit2:
ok i just saw the ascendancy that gives 20% flat EV when energy shild is not full + some increases on the way. still if you watch his videos he gets hit pretty hard sometimes.
Last edited by Ruefl2x on Jun 24, 2016, 6:37:04 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

Thx, looks interesting, I might try to convert my COC Voll charger into this just to try it out. Dmg wise it looks ok-ish.
-Forever Casual-
"
suszterpatt wrote:
Spoiler
"
maLcious wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:

I love posts like this.

"Evasion is bad at keeping you alive."

"No it's not, here stack all these other defenses and you will stay alive with evasion!"

It's almost as if it's not evasion that keeps you live in that scenario...

You do realize that stacking these buffs/flasks along with evasion/dodge are the tankiest champions in the game, right?

Edit:

Arctic Armour cost 25% mana to run. Not hard to fit into a build at all.
Endurance charges. Running a 20/20 Enduring Cry is not hard to do.
Basalt flasks aren't hard to get.
Fortify Support linked to a movement skill that you are probably already using isn't hard.

Running and enfeeble or temp chains blasphemy not hard to do.
Or temp chains on-hit gloves aren't that hard to get/trade.

These things I'm talking about aren't hard to fit in a build or expensive.
That's not the point. The point is that mitigation without evasion is still very viable, while evasion without mitigation is an RNG death wish.

Sure, evasion can be very nice icing on the cake that is mitigation. But you gotta have the cake before you can put the icing on, and frankly, the cake is pretty good without the icing anyway.
Let's say you have enough mitigation to not get one-shot. Now, throw on 50% chance to evade. Boom, you now have enough mitgation to not get two-shot.
Better example, since most true one-shot mechanics in the game are supposed to be manually avoided, not mitigated away (although evasion can make it possible to get lucky and completely ignore them): Let's say you have enough mitgation to not get four-shot. Throw on 50% chance to evade. Boom, you now have enough mitigation to not get eight-shot.
Chance to evade multiplies the effects of your existing mitigation against most of the threats in the game. In fact, a lot of what evasion doesn't cover, other mitgation doesn't cover either (ground effects, DD boxes, volatiles aren't touched by enfeeble, for example).
By the way, 50% chance to evade isn't really hard to get, that's around 12k evasion or so.

Evasion also has great synergy with both defensive curses (enf/TC), in fact it practically triple-dips with enfeeble's bonuses. Guess what, the defensive curses are the best, cheapest defenses in the game. Since eva works so well with them, that makes eva pretty good too.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
"
Ruefl2x wrote:
aim, maybe you should actually start playing an evasion char maybe?

your highest ranger is 78. unskilled and unequipped sadly.
actually none of your (skilled/equipped) chars uses evasion.
all your skilled shadows go to the other side of the tree.

i don't know what you base your comments on.

as a bow ranger it really isn't that easy.
i can't use fortify.
it makes no sense to use endurance charges. (as you try to keep the mobs at range)
arctic armour is tricky as most of the time i'm moving but probably one of the better choices.
vaal grace might help but is still a gamble.
basalt flask is also one of the better choices. still there are situation you can't keep it up.

T1/atziri uniques should not be necessary for a base mechanic to work (aka not die).

also a thing you keep in mind. i don't play standard where i have several legacy uniques i could use. also i like the challenge of using the things i find. means: i don't trade for OP items.
ofc. if you obliterate everything from offscreen and pretty much oneshot bosses you are fine anyway! but this doesn't prove that evasion is fine.

edit:
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

where does this guy even use evasion?
he just recommends ev/es hybrid chests because you need green sokets for this build.
do you even know how much you need to invest to even get to 50% evasion? ...

edit2:
ok i just saw the ascendancy that gives 20% flat EV when energy shild is not full + some increases on the way. still if you watch his videos he gets hit pretty hard sometimes.

I have build guides with evasion/dodge beating atziri ez before all the power creep when that meant something.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1096765
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1259824
Even use it on wizards (I hate ranger not because of evasion)

So yeah I've used it. Its better than block/spell block price performance wise. IMO

but cant function alone just like block cant needs big EHP behind it

I wont get into the std/ladder stuff. I've paid my dues in ladder you should see that if you looked at profile, but I'll say all that mitigation layering items to boost EHP are available in ladder, if you cant get it it's not the games fault and perhaps you should take it slower in std. That doesnt prove evasion is bad. proves you dont have time to make it good.

But I suspect its a case of all dps all the time instead of supporting evasion with EHP required to enjoy it. I mean who doesnt want to use a Cospri's Will instead of Lightning Coil?
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 24, 2016, 7:24:18 PM
Evasion is good, learn building. <- answer that those which doesn't analyze deserve.

Making block effective requires so many nodes on the tree that you are left with almost no nodes for offense. Unless you are using some broken mechanic, if so, well, you can use that with evasion too, nothing stops you.

Anyway, compare evasion with block is pretty silly. They aren't in the same layer. From what i can tell, it is ES/EVASION/ARMOUR/LIFE <- that layer can be compared one with other, they're not rng based, they are "true" defenses.

DODGE/BLOCK <- Another layer, this time, purely rng based. So comparing dodge with block, dodge laughs at block because it takes only some nodes only and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RfAztaRXE

He uses dodge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sometimes...
Last edited by Crusader_of_Sorrow on Jun 24, 2016, 7:44:13 PM
"
Evasion is good, learn building. <- answer that those which doesn't analyze deserve.

Making block effective requires so many nodes on the tree that you are left with almost no nodes for offense. Unless you are using some broken mechanic, if so, well, you can use that with evasion too, nothing stops you.

Anyway, compare evasion with block is pretty silly. They aren't in the same layer. From what i can tell, it is ES/EVASION/ARMOUR/LIFE <- that layer can be compared one with other, they're not rng based, they are "true" defenses.

DODGE/BLOCK <- Another layer, this time, purely rng based. So comparing dodge with block, dodge laughs at block because it takes only some nodes only and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6RfAztaRXE

He uses dodge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Evasion is rng based, formula for miss\hit also takes mobs accuracy as a variable.

That vid is max spell block.... not eva. Thx for providing a video showcasing what i was saying about block.
-Forever Casual-
Last edited by _Zerk_ on Jun 24, 2016, 7:55:07 PM
Thats many patches ago when you could get 100% all res and stuff. Not to mention uber hits harder now and will take out 8K life even with 100% fire res on her penetration bouble flame blast. I've tested this cant be done nowadays:(
Git R Dun!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info