Doomfletch's Prism ToolTip DPS

Suppose that the brevity of the described problem caused it to be overshadowed by the minutiae :P I was mostly commenting on the fact DBO/Conversion occurs before all Damage modifiers.
Months later, still no fix. This issue proved to be quite frustrating for me to be honest, I couldn't figure out why Doomfletch is so weak for me for days instead of a "fuck yeah" moment after buying an endgame bow. And it's taking away some of the fun of upgrading my character without a working dps meter.
Last edited by Bobble_Su on Sep 25, 2016, 11:35:47 AM
"
Bobble_Su wrote:
Months later, still no fix. This issue proved to be quite frustrating for me to be honest, I couldn't figure out why Doomfletch is so weak for me for days instead of a "fuck yeah" moment after buying an endgame bow. And it's taking away some of the fun of upgrading my character without a working dps meter.

yeah idk what's wrong with the bow but it's not giving me lightning damage at all, and I have no conversions or keystones that would prevent me from getting lightning damage. It does say that it gives you 110% of bow physical damage as extra damage of EACH element, but NO lightning damage on my tooltip. wtf is wrong with it?
It's just a display thing, you're getting all your Damage just fine.
2.4.1 and no Doomfletch DPS bug solution, I just wonder how hard it can be to change a damn formula...
Can anyone confirm how it works with lightning arrow? Because that skill says 50% physical dmg converted to lightning, instead of the others like the bow itself and herald of ash/hatred saying gain % of physical as elemental. I just want to make sure I'm not nerfing my dmg by using lighting arrow and cutting the base physical in half first.
"
Hornzilla wrote:
Can anyone confirm how it works with lightning arrow? Because that skill says 50% physical dmg converted to lightning, instead of the others like the bow itself and herald of ash/hatred saying gain % of physical as elemental. I just want to make sure I'm not nerfing my dmg by using lighting arrow and cutting the base physical in half first.

I've tested out a couple of Doomfletch's Prisms before I sold them (had that prophecy two or three times so far!) and having used a few different skills with it, I can confirm it works as it should.

As Vipermagi did point out, damage conversion generally CANNOT* nerf your damage. One of the huge benefits of damage conversion is that the converted damage applies BOTH the old and new passives. So, say, each point of physical damage converted to fire damage will stack BOTH "increased physical damage" and "increased fire damage."

The exact way the game handles it makes sense, even if a bit difficult to wrap one's head around. The easiest way I've figured it is to explain that the game does all damage conversion FIRST, but has each point of damage "remember" all types it was, THEN applies all applicable bonuses. So, to apply to a simplistic example with:

• Doomfletch's Prism
  • 100 physical damage
  • Level 1 Lightning Arrow supported by a Level 21/0% quality Physical-to-Lightning support
  • +100% increased physical damage (from passives)
  • +100% increased elemental damage (from passives)

This slightly more complicated situation would work as follows:

• Step one: convert damage types.
    • Doomfletch's: 100 phys->110% gained as fire = +110 (phys->fire)
    • Doomfletch's: 100 phys->110% gained as ice = +110 (phys->ice)
    • Doomfletch's: 100 phys->110% gained as lightning = +110 (phys->lightning)
    • Support Gem: 100 phys->30% gained as lightning = +30 (phys->lightning)
    • LA+Support Gem: 100 phys->100% converted to lightning = -100 phys, +100 (phys->lightning)

Subtotal:
    • (Physical)
    • 110 (phys->fire)
    • 110 (phys->ice)
    • 110+30+100 = 240 (phys->lightning)

• Step two: Apply bonuses.
    • 110 + (phys+elemental: 100+100=200% increased) = 330 fire damage
    • 110 + (phys+elemental: 100+100=200% increased) = 330 ice damage
    • 240 + (phys+elemental+lightning: 100+100=200% increased) = 720 lightning damage

• GRAND TOTAL: 1,380 damage (330+330+720)

As you can see, converting ALL our physical damage to lightning let it "double dip," taking advantage of both the increased physical AND lightning damage. By comparison, suppose we used the exact same setup, but swapped our Lightning Arrow with, say, a Level 1 Puncture: same damage scale, but now missing 50% of our physical damage being converted to lightning. The new conversion:

• Step one: convert damage types.
    • Doomfletch's: 100 phys->110% gained as fire = +110 (phys->fire)
    • Doomfletch's: 100 phys->110% gained as ice = +110 (phys->ice)
    • Doomfletch's: 100 phys->110% gained as lightning = +110 (phys->lightning)
    • Support Gem: 100 phys->30% gained as lightning = +30 (phys->lightning)
    • Support Gem: 100 phys->50% converted to lightning = -50 phys, +50 (phys->lightning)

Subtotal:
    • 50 (Physical)
    • 110 (phys->fire)
    • 110 (phys->ice)
    • 110+30+50 = 190 (phys->lightning)

• Step two: Apply bonuses.
    • 50 + (phys: 100% increased) = 100 physical damage
    • 110 + (phys+elemental: 100+100=200% increased) = 330 fire damage
    • 110 + (phys+elemental: 100+100=200% increased) = 330 ice damage
    • 190 + (phys+elemental+lightning: 100+100=200% increased) = 570 lightning damage

• GRAND TOTAL: 1,330 damage (100+330+330+570)

So, from the above you can see that in spite of all our damage figures besides conversion being the same, REMOVING that conversion suddenly makes us deal less damage: we traded 150 lightning damage for 100 physical damage.

This tradeoff would get even worse if we removed our Physical-to-Lightning gem: we not only lose another 50 damage in a similar exchange of 150 lightning->100 physical, we would, of course, lose that physical damage gained as lightning. In virtually every* situation you can think of, adding that gem to an ability dealing physical damage WILL increase its damage output. (and that part WILL always correctly reflect in the tooltip, even if the bonus elemental damage from Doomfletch's Prism doesn't)

*Technically you can, but you'd never use such a case: example would be if you had a net "reduced" effect on one of the new damage types, such as if you had no passives for elemental damage, but, say, used a Void Manipulaton. More reasonably, lower physical damage in the end will reduce the amount of extra damage you could get from bleed/poison, but that never shows up in your tooltip DPS anyway.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
Last edited by ACGIFT on Oct 21, 2016, 8:15:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Now if only they would fix the tooltip so I could easily tell when switching jewels and items if I'm really making the best choices.
Can someone on the team fix this???

I have no idea if %elemental damage with weapons actually helps the damage of doomfletch, only a supposition
IGN gubert
Last edited by Gubert on Mar 8, 2017, 1:04:00 PM
Why is this not getting fixed? Great bow. Tons of fun. Can't figure out which items to use because I can't tell what effect they have. Very frustrating.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info