Lore Question - Where did the exiles come from

"
Isdp wrote:
The big question related to exiles is.. why the fuck are they not hitting the monsters around them ?
Are they somehow affliated to skellies / bears / big worms / undeads / brainwashed guards / whatever.

I just don't get it.
Why are they just standing with craploads of monsters around them unarmed.
Did they desynced ?

My assumption with Rogue Exiles is that they've succumbed to the corruption, and for whatever reason none of the corrupted beings appear to fight with each other at all.

There is also a bit more information nailed to the posts outside the entrance of Lioneyes Watch in act 1, explaining how and why some of the exiles were tried and convicted and sent to Wraeclast.

As far as Lore goes, the old guy in the library in the Palace Gardens has quite a bit to say about various things as well.

Wraeclast is a big continent, Oriath is a relatively small isle to the east of Wraeclast. Oriath is ruled by theocracy with Dominus as its spiritual leader.

The prison ship with exiles and guards on board heads to the Sarn docks but begins to sink near twilight strand and prison guards throw ship ballast as well as exiles to the water.
Last edited by First_Citizen on May 28, 2016, 4:03:41 AM
if you listen in the creation screen its also implied exiles are granted one weapon of their choosing and thrown overboard the boat. They all come from Oriath. Oriath is a big continent as well but we're only shown the edge of its coastal areas. easiest way to explain it is Oriath is Europe and Wraeclast is Australia in the PoE-verse.

Duelist killed a Nobleman for looking at him funny.
Ranger was poaching in a Lord's land.
Witch burned a village of their children and well you know people reacted to witches in the medieval ages.
Scion killed her husband in their supposed wedding night thing.
Templar was probably put in as a scapegoat.
Shadow was drugged after a hit to keep the information secret.
Marauder was exiled when he was trying to escape a slave trade.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
"Attention exiles, for your crimes against Oriath you are being exiled to the forsaken continent of Wraeclast..." Straight from the voice over whenever you create a new character.
I do wonder about the dimensions of the land masses though. Is Oriath the size of Sicily or Madagascar? How many people live there? Tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions? Definitely enough to have a few thousand exiles around to fuel Piety's experiments, though the Exile settlements seem to be rather on the small scale.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
"
"Attention exiles, for your crimes against Oriath you are being exiled to the forsaken continent of Wraeclast..." Straight from the voice over whenever you create a new character.

It just goes to show you what people care about in ARPGs :D
I am surprised it took so long for someone to bring this up.
when you select the scion from the character select screen after you have unlocked her of course she says in the character select screen that she was born in privilege had all the fancy clothes and was of high privilege a noble and that on her wedding night she murdered her husband and that is why she was exiled from Oriath to Wraeclast.To add more to this, this is what the Scion says exactly in her intro word for word

"The youngest daughter of a respected family. Dresses, dances, suitors... a fortunate life for one fortunately born. My life... had I not been different. Had I not thought more clearly, learned more quickly, dreamed more deeply and darkly than any child should.

There seems to be no limit to what I can do, no walls containing my talents. To my parents, I was a raw nugget to be battered and moulded into a prize for admiration, for envy... for sale. That life died on a wedding bed in Theopolis.

Today, Wraeclast offers me a new life, written not by birth, nor family, nor society. This life will be written to answer but one question: Who am I?"

Last edited by TempusxX22 on May 28, 2016, 10:54:03 AM
You've pretty much answered your own question. Oriath is an island nation off the coast of Wraeclast. It is -- almost certainly -- a theocracy and is ruled by the order of the Templars with Dominus at it's head. The current practice in Oriath is to deport all criminals to the continent of Wraeclast and it is these criminals -- along with anyome unfortunate enough to become shipwrecked on Wraeclast -- who make up the Exiles (ie. Nessa).

"
Wouldn't it be cool if one day (act 7 maybe?) we go back to Oriath to kick some corrupt order butts?

I had that same thought too! There are so many unanswered questions at the end of the game! With the ruler of Oriath dead, what will become of the nation? Will Pieties uncovering of long lost thaumaturgical knowledge have negative effects on Wraeclast? Now that the Beast is dead will the Karuni attempt to reclaim territory abandoned by Hyrri? Etc. I'm really excited for the next expansion, hopefully some of my questions will be put to rest.
Australia is the real life wraeclast

England is the real life oriath
"The problem with scrubcore is that it is full of of scrubs"
- King Edward the Longshanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info