[3.0] End Game Guardian Support! 90% phys/84% ele res. On a Budget.

What are people doing for leveling this build?

Skill gems for leveling? Do we suffer greatly for speccing a lot into support nodes if we don't plan on supporting early on (aka i have no friends that play this).

Should I just level as any random guard and just invest in regrets when I get highish level? First time trying a support class :)
Last edited by bigfatpat on Jan 4, 2017, 11:50:43 PM
Time of need seems to be better than I thought...25% reduced effect of curses could help a bit with defenses against vulnerability for example. And when facing temp chains you would be a bit faster.
Status ailments removed every 5secs could maybe be useful against Stacked bleed.
The regen every 5sec could be quite good when you are in the lab, since you wouldn't have to spend flask charges to regen life. Adding to that: 30% of our max life are basically 80% of our actual life pool.

What I really like about Harmony of Purpose is that you can get frenzy charges, if your mates use them, to use whirling blades or shield charge faster.
I also think that the Endurance charges I constantly share are extremly good for their defense.

I think that it is a tough choice. Time of need seens better if you yourself struggle to survive, Harmony of Purpose seems better if you want to buff your mates just a bit more.
Whats safe to say, I think, is that Harmony of Purpose is better for bigger partys.

About leveling: Pick up the defenses you would also pick up for the build on the tree and if you feel like you need more damage just spec into some damage. Whats skills to use? I think that it just comes down to personal preference.
Check out my Guaridan Support build! /view-thread/1656032
Question1:
Is [ANGER] Aura even worth putting in?

Hatred is useful for Physical. 60%+ extra damage based on physical.
Wrath is useful for lightning casters. 40%+ extra lightning damage.

But.. Anger. is like 250 damage.
When builds are doing 500k dps+; even with mods. that 250 damage doesn't seem very useful. When will I ever feel like using this skill? Shouldn't it be swapped out with haste?

[Hatred+Haste] for physical builds
[Wrath+Haste] for everything else.

Question2:
If you can have 5 endurance charges.
Do you give allies 5 as well? or do they cap out at 3? Trying to decide if I want the extra skill point or not for bandits.
Last edited by cdirskwager on Jan 6, 2017, 1:10:00 PM
Anger: The key is that the damage scaling of your party members affects the damage of anger. For example: fast hitting weapons only do 200base damage per hit, but with their scaling they still reach 100k dps.

Endurance charges: Nope, sadly you can't exceed the limits of their charges.
For your bandid choice: I think that 4% flat physical reduction is worth way more than 1 lumpy skillpoint.
Last edited by NEINNEINNEIN on Jan 6, 2017, 5:27:38 PM
"
NEINNEINNEIN wrote:
Anger: The key is that the damage scaling of your party members affects the damage of anger. For example: fast hitting weapons only do 200base damage per hit, but with their scaling they still reach 100k dps.

Endurance charges: Nope, sadly you can't exceed the limits of their charges.
For your bandid choice: I think that 4% flat physical reduction is worth way more than 1 lumpy skillpoint.

So Anger damage bonus is like a weapon affix? That would make it much better than haste.

-->I do want to find out how much it is affected by damage scaling though.

The shiny 30% atk/cast speed and 18% movespeed from haste is good looking.

EDIT: Endurance charges are additive with armor. Ignore my math

Spoiler

-----------Extra Tree Point------------{Very Crude Maths--assuming multiplicative relationship}
[4 Endurance Charges] 100k melee smack down
100k Damage - Armor(x.1)=10k Damage - Foritfy(x.8)=8k Damage - Endurance(x.84)=6.72k Damage
[5 Endurance Charges] 100k melee smack down
100k Damage - Armor(x.1)=10k Damage - Foritfy(x.8)=8k Damage - Endurance(x.84)=6.4k Damage

That's 320 hp, but only works on melee hits.

I would rather take the extra 40hp for 5% health. Works on both physical and elemental damage spikes.

The extra endurance charge is much more useful. Sadly I killed oak already. haha.
Last edited by cdirskwager on Jan 6, 2017, 11:25:48 PM
It seems like you don't understand the mechanics of physical mitigation and armour :)
Additional physical mitigation works against all physical damage and also applies at it's value against big or small hits.

Armour on the other hands works way worse against big hits: copy pasta from the wiki:
Rule of thumb

To prevent one third of damage, you need armor 5 times the damage (e.g. 500 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent half of damage, you need armor 10 times the damage (e.g. 1000 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent two thirds of damage, you need armor 20 times the damage (e.g. 2000 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent three quarters of damage, you need armor 30 times the damage (e.g. 3000 Armor for 100 damage)
To prevent 90% of damage, you need armor 90 times the damage (e.g. 9000 Armor for 100 damage)
Armor will never prevent more damage than its value divided by 10 (e.g. 1000 Armor will never prevent more than 100 damage)

Take a look at this article: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Armour

As far as I know the biggest physical hits reach about 7-10k damage.
Last edited by NEINNEINNEIN on Jan 7, 2017, 7:54:39 AM
Hello, alot of people have already said it but yes thanks for a very intressting guide/build
Finally managed to read all the replays aswell to sniff out some good stuff!

been starting to lvling one myself a few days ago and one thing people seem to have a issue with this build is just the lvling part, what i have done so far and i have carried my from normal to merci in about 10h solo play.
was using flame totems untill 28 swap to ancestrial warchief on top of that i took both the totems clusters Ancestrial Bond and Totemic Mystery, throw that in to a tabula and yeah watch the magic. FYI it will only take 15-16 respec point to spec out of the two totem clusters and this will be covered by all your free respec points, you'll even have a few over!
this is currently being done on BHC

Hope that will help some people out abit

Anyway I'll stay in touch, have to do some more testing and lvling befor i can actully give you any decent feedback <3
Thanks for your reply^^ The replys are whats keeping me motivated to update the build :)

Your leveling went fine? Maybe I'll encorporate your reply in the main threat.
You are more then welcome.

Since this is my first templar and first support build am currently lvling very slowly but have been running similar lvling setups for other builds that have done normal to merci in roughly 10hours play solo. it all comes down to how fast you are at tracking where to go and so and so on.
So far i've not had any problems with lvling at all it's actilly been a sweet ride due to the massive hp pool even on low lvls means less need for constant upgrades on low lvl items to keep your defence stats up.

Get a Geofri's Bepmthims at lvl 27 with ancestrial on 28, am currently running a Tabula with Ancestrial Warchief - Melee phys - Faster attacks - Added fire - Increased Area (swap for conc effect for bosses ) and finally a Melee damage on full life ( this does actully count on both your own hp pool and totem hp pool so either you or your totem needs full hp to benefit from this effect )
Swap Geofri's for a Blood reaper at 45 and this should get you to merci a3-a4 dried lake?

And mention as befor you can respec out of the totems cluster for the free respec points so you get alot of lvling posibilitys for a very low cost.

Providing the low lvl spec am currently using and you'll see how i've prioritised during lvling vs your end spec version :)

My plan is to go for all the big HP/ES clusters for lvling and later on start going for the more utilising stuff like auras and mana reservation. as i see my lvling setup now it will cost me 15 respec points to go out of the totems nodes that will happend when am around lvl 65-70 as i see it now and at that point you can equip all the support items aswell as starting to run maps if you have a friend or two :)
Spoiler
http://poeplanner.com/AAQAAGsFAwAzTwRDyHFNms9DY2jy8B-iAASzwGZFR7UE5CIabDbpJKoWb-NqKU-ePIx2tzFmnljlKhNaK6PywxOvbAthxq4QzP6HeyD4kzwtg8y3Pv4K2L1Bh_nogsco-lfJDXzqurQMytO-ipMnAAAAAAA=

Hope this if usefull information, as mention befor i'll keep it touch, really love this idea!
How is your progress going? Btw. I updated the skilltree for just a bit more es ^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info