The Dancing Dervish - An Insight into the Design Process

How sad, you took a great concept then RUINED it by integrating it with rampage.

I was all excited about it until I hit that part.

Well, I guess it will be a good skin transfer item anyway.
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
You started from the idea that you liked Animate Weapon and ended up with a unique that has no chance to work with animated weapon

It's not based around the Animate Weapon gem. It's different.

"
Meridin wrote:
What happens if I weapon swap? Is there any way to get out a shield while you punch things?
Then you weapon swap, but both hand slots are still disabled. No way to get a shield.

"
Meridin wrote:
Level 15 manifest sword: arbitrary number?
Yes.

"
Meridin wrote:
If the sword kills something, will that benefit your rampage streak?
Yes.

"
Kroughfire wrote:
Quick mechanical question, does the weapon/skill scale damage the same as animate weapon (does it scale off of your own physical damage modifiers?

Animate Weapon does not scale off your own physical damage afaik. Manifest Dervish has its own balance, separate from Animate Weapon. Also the manifested minion is not the same as an Animated Weapon; it has different balance numbers and is Unique.

"
Kroughfire wrote:
If you were to use Doryanis, WED, Phys to light, added fire, for example, you would be able to cast spells with Doryani's while your blade wrecks shit?
Uhhh not sure what you're asking exactly but those supports can all be used with the Dervish.

"
Koheleth wrote:
i feel the 'endgame' your referring to is merci dried lake
Just endgame maps in general.

"
tretterag wrote:
you need to specialize in damage of some sort which would allow you to kill fast enough with this low tier sword (level 59 base, low crit, low aps) to achieve rampage, at which point any sword specific nodes would become useless as it unequips itself.
Getting Rampage is pretty easy in Maps, especially with +pack size. Also, low APS? This is the fastest two-handed sword in the game.

"
tretterag wrote:
you need to specialize in nodes which apply to generic melee damage, except most of them are tied to some other effect such as requiring using a shield, or dual wielding, etc, which you cannot do. This severely limits the damage you can do personally.
Sword or Shield-specific passives would not be optimal, that is true.

"
tretterag wrote:
to have any hope of this thing doing decent damage (unless they are generous with numbers. they are never generous with numbers) you need minion nodes to increase its damage.
The numbers are actually pretty generous imho. Minion nodes are definitely not "needed".

"
tretterag wrote:
the likely slow, uncontrollable weapon
Well it follows you around like most minions do, and teleports back if you get too far away, and it's faster than a regular Animated Weapon.
Code warrior
Could probably figure out how to use it + Facebreakers in some way, that would be cool I guess.
disable weapon slots and 2h wep? I'll pass (it to vendor).
Super happy to see some Uniques actually trying to be "Unique" rather than "Look at all these numbers I add, yay tooltip hero".

The sword looks amazing, and assuming you actually balance it well could be a lot of fun. I'm very interested in seeing if I can make something work with it; Doubly so since I've wanted to make a melee Witch for some time and this may be just the thing.

Curious; Will this be a general-drop Unique? Or League Specific?
Varanustra also sucked according to opinions on this forum pre release. Yeah.
"
I initially toyed with the idea of uncontrollable rage. You were unarmed because you were just so darned angry you couldn't help but ball your fists up and punch things

Hey there, the name and the concept is awesome, i want to try since i first time read this swords name.

I think another story for the sword, if you don' take that as an arrogancy, i want to explain.

that there is a real owner of this sword, "the dervish". That fought, killed thousands of enemies in his lifetime, with his very own fighting style that lookslike a dervish dancing, turns in his orbit with elegant and sharp steps.

the dervish, his style and his sword was so unique, that the all become one in people's stories. and the legends says "if you wield this unique sword, and if you fight like a dervish (open up the rampage), dervish wakes up, takes his sword and starts to fight again. its in his blood, his blood is in his sword."

maybe you can put an aura to the dervish, "when dervish fights beside you, you can't use any weapon." respect to the true legend.

tl dr: there is no tl dr, read.

what do you think Rhys? Dancing dervish is my country's culture, and i really like this concept, i can even play the very own instruments of this dance.
Last edited by SoundofRain on Apr 28, 2016, 3:12:24 AM
Looks ugly to my. It is too big, have too many details, when it need to be simple as a Dervish.

What it need to be:
-Twohanded sword
-1 hand model
-2 curv blades on each side.
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
"
Hey there, the name and the concept is awesome, i want to try since i first time read this swords name.

I think another story for the sword, if you don' take that as an arrogancy, i want to explain.

that there is a real owner of this sword, "the dervish". That fought, killed thousands of enemies in his lifetime, with his very own fighting style that lookslike a dervish dancing, turns in his orbit with elegant and sharp steps.

the dervish, his style and his sword was so unique, that the all become one in people's stories. and the legends says "if you wield this unique sword, and if you fight like a dervish (open up the rampage), dervish wakes up, takes his sword and starts to fight again. its in his blood, his blood is in his sword."

maybe you can put an aura to the dervish, "when dervish fights beside you, you can't use any weapon." respect to the true legend.

tl dr: there is no tl dr, read.

what do you think Rhys? Dancing dervish is my country's culture, and i really like this concept, i can even play the very own instruments of this dance.

Awesome idea! Hope you enjoy the item when it eventually comes out.

"
Radonegsky wrote:
It is too big, have too many details, when it need to be simple as a Dervish.
It's big and fancy so you can see it easily when it manifests.
Code warrior
Without more knowledge about how the weapon scales and what the numbers are, I can guess that the best build for this would be a minion summoner build. The minions would build up rampage, and upon rampage summon the weapon which would get all the benefit of your minion nodes.

However, this still has the problem of not being useful for any boss fights with stages. I am interested to see the numbers, but I have a feeling your idea of generous is different than ours. My thought experiment of the extreme case of the sword doing infinite damage and being limited only by its movement ability should bring attention to the flaw of having only one powerful minion. When a character is judged by its ability to clear an entire screen with one ability, its hard to imagine a situation in which this could ever be achieved with only one minion aiding you.

One option is to greatly increase its movement speed, which would decrease time where the minion is travelling and not hitting anything. Another interesting concept would be the following:

When you reach max frenzy charges, summon the weapon with that many frenzy charges and you lose all charges. The weapon then flicker strikes until it has no more charges, and returns to you. You and the weapon could possibly share frenzy charges, and you could attempt to maintain charges as the weapon uses them all as quickly as it can.

I realize that the weapon is nearing the finishing stages, and you are putting the final polishing balance touches, but please try to make the item useful and not let this be just another leveling unique , skin transfer, or the worst case: a build defining unique for which a viable build does not exist, and with no viable upgrades.
IGN: Tretter
Last edited by tretterag on Apr 28, 2016, 3:25:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info