exp loss on death is a bad old mechanic

I know it used to be common place in games like this and I was used to it back then. But newer games have gotten me used to how nice it is to not be punished on death. Hardcore mode is made for people who want to get pissed off and be punished by a death.

The extreme level of customization in this game makes for an amazing experience but if you dont go for a perfect build and trade for the best gear for the build then you will struggle. I tried to go with mostly self found gear and trying to get to level 90 became extremely painful. I was having much fun with this game up until that point but having lost several levels worth of xp because I find it more fun finding my gear than buying it seems like I am just being punished for trying to make the game last longer for myself. These games are all about finding loot and if you buy all your loot then theres nothing to look forward to.

It also doesnt help that so many of your challenges are so heavily based on RNG that it forces people to use a chat channel to try and share the rare finds they get as well as giving away free map credits in case you dont have the build or gear to be able to clear the stuff yourself.

It was painful and I found myself contemplating self harm trying to get this awesome perandus portal and now that I have it I am just done. If I ever play another league it would be maybe for the first 2 rewards but struggling for the 3rd requires a lot of time and effort and begging in chat. as an anti social person being forced into bad and laggy social situations isnt great.

though i will say there is a ton of helpful people in this game even though i did run into a few dbags

this game still has a lot of potential but theres work that needs to be done on some areas which probably wont ever get done as you are more focused on coming up with new season content. I went with a cyclone build this season and it was amazing fun at the start in wide open places. as the game got harder and areas got cramped i found myself getting stuck on objects and corners and also noticed how terribly designed the spell is. You spin until you get to the area you clicked at, no way i could find to break it and direction wont change until you get to that location. I guess im spoiled by a far better coded game (diablo3) where the actions i perform with my mouse feel much more responsive and my character doesnt get stuck on nonsense.

There is also an issue of hit boxes being too small on monsters. While in diablo3 the hit boxes are way too big which makes the game feel like it was made for little kids who dont know how to click over the mob they want to attack in this game there are issues with some mobs where its just a pain to click them. I notice a lot of people just go with mass aoe which is a great way to avoid this issue since you dont really need precision if your flooding the whole screen with spells. One of the most noticeable hit box issues I found was with the vulture mobs you added with act 4 the issue with them seems to be when they are transitioning from flying to actually landing on the ground.
Last bumped on Apr 30, 2016, 7:33:51 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
So in other words... You've found that you're not a good enough player, so now you want that 'fixed' by removing the indication the game gives you that you're not good enough?
Let´s just face it, PoE is not an easy game to master, and that´s a good thing.

As for Cyclone movement : once you realize how it works you, just dont click far away, but instead keep the cursor close to your character and are in full control. It´s just different than it is in D3, so you handle it differently. Problem fixed.
"
Cyzax wrote:
So in other words... You've found that you're not a good enough player, so now you want that 'fixed' by removing the indication the game gives you that you're not good enough?

Being good != favored by RNG.
I inhabit the lower end of the bell curve regarding RNG luck and as such don't even bother anymore, but I agree with op too much shit is based on it.
wasting over 2200 fusings to 6L and ending up collecting more to just use vorici instead is not fun.

RNG for me is not fun, it's a massive pain in the arse.
Last edited by fusurugi on Apr 27, 2016, 10:37:15 AM
"
archonmagus wrote:
I know it used to be common place in games like this and I was used to it back then. But newer games have gotten me used to how nice it is to not be punished on death. Hardcore mode is made for people who want to get pissed off and be punished by a death.

No offence, but getting pampered by new massmedia-games has really made players weak :/

@ fusurugi why did you gamble instead of use non-RNG Vorici in the first place if you don't like RNG?
"
fusurugi wrote:
wasting over 2200 fusings to 6L

In other words, you chose to gamble, even though the non-RNG option is already there!
You lost, and now complain over your own choice!

YOU, only YOU, and not RNG, caused you to use those fusings :-)
Last edited by Cyzax on Apr 27, 2016, 10:59:27 AM
Getting penalized on death is a required element for an ARPG. In a game like Super Meat Boy, unpunished deaths are a good mechanic, because your only option is to try again under the same circumstances. In an ARPG, you have the option to test the waters, realize something is beyond your current capabilities, and retreat, only to come back later with additional levels and/or better, more appropriate gear. Removing death penalties would only serve to encourage playing this game like a game it's not, and functionally remove retreats as a strategic option.

That said, spike damage is problematic. In cases where it's clearly telegraphed (even if that means reading the mods on a rare monster), it's not a problem, but a death from testing the waters which gives you no opportunity to retreat is bad. On the other hand, giving the player too much time to realize they need to retreat or die is bad too, because it makes the pace of play too slow and dampens the emotional impact of difficult enemies. So it's a balancing act; we don't want too little time to react, we don't want too much, we want the porridge that's just right.

There's the question of whether XP is better to penalize than items, but that seems to be off-topic given the content of the opening post.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Penalty is fine if untelegraphed oneshots go away.
"
Raudram wrote:
Penalty is fine if untelegraphed oneshots go away.

its basically never untelegraphed : you create glass canon and put mods on map like crit+monster damge less player max res etc... you kill everything but you'll eat your perfect crit from affar eventually...

horrible mods + low defence = you'll be one-shotted eventually one day.

I'll quit PoE imediately if they remove the xp penalty. It's the only incentive to be a better player and to have a better character customization.
... nothing
There's a whole mass of people playing with the penalty of losing THEIR CHARACTERS and you're complaining about a 10% exp loss.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info