exp loss on death is a bad old mechanic

"
Tempada wrote:
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
"
Tempada wrote:
I'd like to see the xp death penalty removed (even if it means that the xp requirement for each level increases slightly)

Why in all hell should players who dont die be punished with such increased xp reqirements? There's no reason at all for that crap.

If you don't die, you play hardcore, right? So what if death penalty is removed in softcore and it takes a bit longer to level while hardcore stays as it is now but allows you to level faster in comparison to softcore? That also creates some new incentive to play hardcore.

Softcore and hardcore should remain mirrors of each other. The only difference should be if you die in hardcore you don't just lose XP you lose the ability to play the character in a hardcore league.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
well....10% doesnt seems to stop softcore from being filled with glass cannon......

We need a system that punish cheesing glass cannon more while doesnt make lag/DC death as painful.

The current penalty upon death system is a copy-pasta of an antiquated system, and many of its failures come from there. The only reason GGG get away with it is that they managed to label it as "hardcore".

I am not saying it should be more lenient or harsher, I am saying it needs to be redesigned while keeping in mind its objectives, in order to get it to actually manage to penalize what it is meant to while reducing the amount of negative feelings it generates.
"
The current penalty upon death system is a copy-pasta of an antiquated system, and many of its failures come from there. The only reason GGG get away with it is that they managed to label it as "hardcore".

I am not saying it should be more lenient or harsher, I am saying it needs to be redesigned while keeping in mind its objectives, in order to get it to actually manage to penalize what it is meant to while reducing the amount of negative feelings it generates.

Which is basically impossible, either it doesn't punish therefore you don't feel anything negative or it does punish therefore you feel something negative.

It used to be much harsher and it used to have excuses like desync and similar things, now its down to basically an all time low in terms of "cheated deaths"

As for whoever was QQing about people not losing levels, that simply isn't an option, as for MF characters, who the fuck cares anymore, running an MF character is pointless now and if they die over and over again, well they are only doing that once in a full map party, per map.

FeelsBadMan

As I've mentioned in similar posts..

The death penalty should be changed for players 92+

It should instead prevent you from gaining exp in that map anymore. However you can still play the map in hopes for map returns. Death penalty is very necessary before these levels it often shows you what holes you have in your character. Though, when you get to 92+, which I consider the business end, there isn't much to learn. Take this league for example, what is there to learn about 1fps against big shiny perandus packs? Never been a moaner about xp penalty in the past but this league when I legit wanted to try for 100 I quit at 95 because having 2 guaranteed rips a day to perandus packs fps was overbearing.
"
JusJev wrote:
As I've mentioned in similar posts..

The death penalty should be changed for players 92+

It should instead prevent you from gaining exp in that map anymore. However you can still play the map in hopes for map returns. Death penalty is very necessary before these levels it often shows you what holes you have in your character. Though, when you get to 92+, which I consider the business end, there isn't much to learn. Take this league for example, what is there to learn about 1fps against big shiny perandus packs? Never been a moaner about xp penalty in the past but this league when I legit wanted to try for 100 I quit at 95 because having 2 guaranteed rips a day to perandus packs fps was overbearing.

That is basically no punishment at all, if you are having issues with perandus packs I can understand, but this is one league that isn't getting added into the core of the game, so you don't change the whole game to meet the current league that is basically already dead.

In terms of 92+ you honestly can get there without doing any red maps pretty easily, so to say there isnt anything to learn from the deaths is 100% wrong. You haven't challenged your character enough to know what is or isn't a challenge you can do.

I have sympathy for those that die in circumstances they feel is "unfair" but the game doesn't need to be easier in any aspect, including making deaths less punishing.

FeelsBadMan

If it was up to me you would lose more then 10% personally.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"

But it isn't up to you :P

FeelsBadMan

"
goetzjam wrote:
"

But it isn't up to you :P

or I can make it up to me :P *evil smile
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
If the critique has something to do with glass cannons, change the formula. Instead of it being a flat 10% of the level's experience, factor in the defenses. Life, ES, current resists (I say current for a reason), armour, evasion, and other mitigation like AA/fortify/endurance charges.

The more of a glass cannon you are, the more experience you lose. The more cumulative defenses you have, the less experience you lose. If you do a -max resist map, you stand to lose more experience because your current resists are lower. Same with Elemental Weakness & Vulnerability maps. So running around with 3500 life is going to cost you a lot more experience on death than running around with 5000 life. Just a thought to reward defensive builds even when they run into high spike damage.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info